February 3, 2019
This woman [Marissa Green] flew me to Oman, didn’t pay me, and then dumped me there. She put me in such a horrible position that I had to create a GoFundMe to get out of the country. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!
Marissa Green has sent teachers the following letter. She has also posted her “plea” on Facebook and Twitter. Don’t fall for it…
Hello and good luck to all those looking for their ideal jobs!
My name is Marissa Green. I am not a freelance recruiter for Assalam International Group [ISR NOTE: Marissa Green is listed online as an Educational Leadership Consultant for Assalam International Group]. I actually work here. I could tell you everything you are looking for is here, in this job, like many of the other schools out there looking for quality teachers, but today, I am going to put it out there, I am being transparent.
1) We are a private company which has two bilingual private schools. Our tuition rates are a lot lower than the International Schools, thus salaries are also lower.
2) I face a challenge, I know our school needs quality teachers with Bachelors in Education (Primary, Science and Mathematics) However, I know that we cannot pay a lot, so Omani children suffer with being stuck with staff who are stuck in the old ways of teaching.
3) I know that in most countries, they will pay like $4000 USD and higher. Whereas, we can afford about $1,040 to $1,560 as a range. (Maybe higher if the owner thinks you would be a valuable asset to the school.) That barely pays the bills back home, let alone pays for the living expenses living abroad.
4) We offer shared accommodation-again, not a lot of teachers are willing to share with complete strangers-totally understandable. But we have medical insurance, we pay for your flight to Oman, give you a 100 OMR annual flight allowance, your visa cost, transportation to and from school, and opportunities for Professional Development.
Yes, it is not a lot. I understand that. But I want to share with you why I stay here, working for mere pennies, when yes, as many of you could be getting a whole lot more, living comfortably, like a king/queen in a different country, you would come and be a part of my team.
1) I do it for the kids. Yes, I have my own children, but the students here in Oman are really struggling in English. I am the teacher ”mom” who gives them hugs, lets them follow me on Instagram, here for their support and hopefully provide inspiration to want to study English and find learning fun.
2) Many of the systems are still ”stuck” here. Direct teaching is all teachers know how to do, and students are not trained to work in groups, but still stuck in rows.
3) My yearning to change things is very important! I need a team of well-qualified staff willing to get paid a lot less, but still gain great experience internationally.
4) I feel if I left, these children who look forward to their hugs from Ms. Marissa, well, I feel like they would be lost ( I am not a celebrity or superhero, but everyone knows that I love these children like my own.)
5) I love these children, and I want to see them succeed.
So, why should you join? Well, the good news is, we are heading in a direction to enter a brand new state of the art in technology and design campus for next year. We are in transition and we need to pick an international umbrella to operate under.
If you are here, then more students and parents will flock to our school. If we have a high enrollment, with a stellar staff and everything in between, naming us the best school in Oman, then of course, we will be able to boost your salaries, so that at least all of us can be making closer to that $4000 mark each month.
So, I need your help! Calling all Elementary Educational Teachers, or Teachers with at least a Bachelors in Education with at least 2 years of teaching experience; and passionate, wanting to make a difference in a child’s life! I sound like those ”Feed the Children” commercials. But, hopefully, if we work together, we can touch a bunch of lives and make our school a loving, happy, and academic environment. Just take that step with me, I will be your support from the day you step into Oman to the day you leave and move onto another adventure.
Thank you for your time!
Marissa Anne Green,
PS: We are accepting applications from Teaching Couples (as a couple, you would get your own single family accommodation)”
Please share this and advise your friends and colleagues not to get sucked in.