Where to begin?

Zazzlethorpe

Where to begin?

Post by Zazzlethorpe »

I have been wanting to teach at an international for forever. I am just wondering what is the best way to start this process for getting a job for 2006-07. I would LOVE to teach in Asia, with South America as a second choice. I have signed up for TIE Online already. Any help would be much appreciated as I am extremely eager to have all of this work out well!!

Given my qualifications. What do you think of my chances of landing a job in international school?

My Qualifications

Four years class room experience (as of Spring 2006)
-Two as a Head Teacher at a private school with an international outlook and diverse population. (5th Grade)
Zazzlethorpe

Post by Zazzlethorpe »

The rest of my qualifications appear to have been cut off. Here is a more complete list.

Four years class room experience (as of Spring 2006)
-Two as a Head Teacher at a private school with an international outlook and diverse population. (5th Grade)
-Two as an Assistant Teacher at a private school (1st Grade and 3rd Grade)

One year of Substitute Teaching in a public school

Masters of Elementary Education (December 2005)

New York State Teaching Certification (December 2005)

One year Work Abroad experience in Australia

One year Study Abroad in Ireland

Countries visited: USA, Canada, Ireland, Great Britain, Norway, France, Holland, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovokia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Brazil, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Vanuatu, China, Thailand, and Laos.

You have a good chance

Post by Guest »

Given your teaching experience and qualifications I would say you have a great chance of landing a job. Forget about those recruiting web sites though. You are just another resume in the pile. You really need to attend a major recruiting fair to get a job. Try Search! ISS is a cattle call.

Best of luck to you....you'll make!!!
maria

Be careful about Search

Post by maria »

Search Associates does not have a good selection of schools at its fairs and John Magnana is quite rude and cold..he is one of the people who directs this fair.

I prefer ISS although it is expensive and I would also check out the UNI Teacher overseas Fair.....
Eric

CIS

Post by Eric »

Try the CIS fair if you want to save money - it's free to teachers. The service you get is not as good as Search but the fairs are large.
jennyj

Search

Post by jennyj »

Search is smaller, but beware of the associate you get. My experience with SA is quite bad. My associate (he runs the California fair) cut off many inquiries from bigger schools when he thought I would accept a job at a small, hard to place school. Then he lied about SO MANY things regarding that school.

Post by Guest »

Search associates is better known as "The old boys network" If you can play at being a good ole boy, or you are young, blonde, cute and perky then your experience will be great .... if not ... try somewhere else
anotherguest

for zazzlethorpe?

Post by anotherguest »

You stand a good chance at getting hired - you have valid experience and you have adjusted to life overseas previously. Any fair would probably work for you - you just need to assess which is more convenient and how much you are willing to pay. All fairs should be registered for within a month or two of now as there is substantial paperwork to fill out. If you are on the east coast, know that this year CIS is doing a Feb. fair concurrent with ISS. ISS is fairly expensive, but CIS is free; registration with CIS for that fair makes the most sense. Search also has an east coast fair, a bit smaller but plenty of openings. As a "newbie" - you might get some personal attention from reps of these organizations, but then again, you might not - that isn't that important if you can be self sufficient- but it can be irritating considering how much you pay. Iowa is very cost efficient and very helpful - especially for someone new - it's an early fair as well, so jobs will still be available. Don't let a rep talk you into a later fair than Feb. - many opportunities will have closed. Advice? Concentrate more on your classroom experiences than your travel experiences. All overseas administrators have extensive travel experience - they're not looking for you to travel, they're looking for you to work at their school. Good luck!