myanmar....yiec....what do you know?

robotboy15

myanmar....yiec....what do you know?

Post by robotboy15 »

I've been in contact with the Yangon International Educare Centre in Myanmar of late, but don't know a lot about them. The director strikes me as polite and good at follow through, but I'd need to know more, of course. One ISR review is over a decade old; the other reflects some very bad feelings about an administrative change a few years ago.

Who knows more? I'm mostly motivated to find an interesting place to live in which I'm treated with respect by those in charge. I know that Myanmar is a "hardship posting", but I can live with that aspect of it.

Thanks in advance.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

I just accepted a job with them. I have a friend who works there and she really loves it. Myanmar is a developing country, but I have visited there and found it to be a wonderful country. I am currently teaching in Kuwait and am actually looking forward to getting to a repressive military dictatorship.
When I travelled there the people were wonderful, so I am looking forward to getting into the classroom there and meeting the kids. I like the fact that most of the students are locals.
Well good luck with your decision.
robotboy15

Post by robotboy15 »

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear good things about the place, though they've hired someone else for this position. I hope you find it good. Should be a major step above the compound living of Kuwait.

Robert
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

I wonder if it was I who was hired for the job you were interested in. Good luck on your search.
robotboy15

Drop me a line, Jeff.

Post by robotboy15 »

Hi, Jeff. PM has been disabled for reasons I don't understand, so I'll have to make this a public request. A position at YIEC has reopened and I'd be even more interested in your thoughts about the place. Please drop me a line when you can at robotboy15@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Roberto
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

[quote]Myanmar is a developing country[/quote]

Actually, not to split hairs or anything, but it isn't developing. It's been a brutal military dictatorship since 1962 and there has been little development. A beautiful, but stagnant country would describe it better.

The only area that gets developed is the oil industry and the money goes straight into the pockets of the generals.
Pike

Post by Pike »

[quote="markholmes"][quote]Myanmar is a developing country[/quote]

Actually, not to split hairs or anything, but it isn't developing. It's been a brutal military dictatorship since 1962 and there has been little development. A beautiful, but stagnant country would describe it better.

The only area that gets developed is the oil industry and the money goes straight into the pockets of the generals.[/quote]

Living and working in a developing country is NOT for everyone, especially a country like Myanmar. There is always a chance for the country could explode into violence, but it seems the people are mild manner that this may never happen.

Besides, if you scratch off every devleloping, oppressive country on your list, you are left with mostly Western Europe.

On a final, I have not heard one negative thing about "Burma" and its people. Its only the ruling general thats a jerk, but a nice jerk.... he is keeping alive the opposition.

<--Pike----
I lost my invisible magic carpet. Have you seen it?
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

"Besides, if you scratch off every developing, oppressive country on your list, you are left with mostly Western Europe."

Its not as simple as this, although you're probably aware of that. There are many developing countries where corruption is rife and things don't work so well, but Burma stands apart as a feudal dictatorship.

"Its only the ruling general thats a jerk, but a nice jerk.... he is keeping alive the opposition."

Again, you seem to be a little 'coy' with the truth here. The Generals' response to opposition rallies is anything but 'nice'.

What are the little quotes etc at the end of your posts are all about?
Pike

Post by Pike »

[quote="Traveller1"] "Besides, if you scratch off every developing, oppressive country on your list, you are left with mostly Western Europe."

Its not as simple as this, although you're probably aware of that. There are many developing countries where corruption is rife and things don't work so well, but Burma stands apart as a feudal dictatorship.[/quote]

Yes, I am very aware of corruption. We get pulled over all the time by the National Police who attept to "extort" money from us. We carry only a copy of our passport for this very reason. It took a teacher this year 6 months and a few bribes to get her car through customs (her other luggage- ship by container took about 2 months). So, I know corruption, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to come here for this reason only. I will always tell them,... living in a developing country isn;t for everyone. You have to be flexible, patient, and most of all, have a good sense of humor. (see sig)

[quote="Traveller1"]
"Its only the ruling general thats a jerk, but a nice jerk.... he is keeping alive the opposition."

Again, you seem to be a little 'coy' with the truth here. The Generals' response to opposition rallies is anything but 'nice'. [/quote]

Not so much "coy", but cheeky.

[quote="Traveller1"]
What are the little quotes etc at the end of your posts are all about? [/quote]

I think asking people to find an invisible object to be funny,..no

<-Pike---
"Welcome to Africa!"
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I was merely pointing out that it is not a developing country. Whether you go there or not is none of my business.

However, there are different levels of corruption in the world and I hope you don't consider having to pay a little speeding ticket every now and then on the same level as someone being taken out of their house at four in the morning, shot and thrown down a well.
Pike

Post by Pike »

[quote="markholmes"]I was merely pointing out that it is not a developing country. Whether you go there or not is none of my business.

However, there are different levels of corruption in the world and I hope you don't consider having to pay a little speeding ticket every now and then on the same level as someone being taken out of their house at four in the morning, shot and thrown down a well.[/quote]

LOL, I am NOT talking about "speeding" tickets either. The yare not interested in shaking you down for a real motor vehicle violation (Well only has a means to an end). No one writes tickets here. As far as shooting people is concern,... The current director's wife was imprisoned and never charge for simply attending a teachers' convention. We had a former teacher who ather was executed in his own home because his political allies were ousted out of power. We even had a gun pointed at us sinply because we didn't have our real passport. After that incident we pretend like we do not understand and speak french. The least said, the better!

Last time, I spoke only of the harmless forms of corruption,... greesing the right people...which BTW, never greese the wrong person- a new teacher this year husband was force to beg forgiveness and pay off a supervisor at the customs office (actually it may have been the port authority- I honestly do not remember... you have to pay off each one anyway).

<-Pike----
"Welcome to Africa!" Repraise!
spasibo

Post by spasibo »

Don't you know the Pike is an expert of every country. At least it seems so with all the posts he/she has been making....Most of them without any first hand knowledge
Pike

Post by Pike »

[quote="spasibo"]Don't you know the Pike is an expert of every country. At least it seems so with all the posts he/she has been making....Most of them without any first hand knowledge[/quote]

Hmm, "an expert, every country"? That's a bit of an overstament. I do not believe I claimed to have any first hand knowlege of any country, except the one I am in right now. I ask questions, made general observations, and offer my opinion. There is not one post I claimed to be an expert.

Example: I live in work in a developing country in Africa- I think I am uniquely knowldeable about the working in a developing country. I also live in a country recovering from civil unrest and all of its problems. I believe I have unique perspective on these concerns. Sure, every country is different, but I do have knowledge I can share about my experiences. Others are invited to disagree or agree.

There was one question about working in Spain without EU Nationality. No one answered the question, so I offered up advice that I would do if I was interested in pursuring a school that required an EU nationality or the ability to get a work visa on your own. As stated, you can agree or disagree. I believe my advice is valid--- and not once did I claim to be an expert, except I did look at numerous school sin Europe that had these restrictions.

I am moving to Dubai next year- So, I asked questions about Dubai. Perfectly accepted I thought- clearly I didn;t profess my expertise here- of course not!

I recently attended a job fair in London. I congratulated others on receving offers and I shared my experiences & thoughts about the job fairs- along with others. I didn;t claim to be an expert- in fact I professed my lackof experience.

Finally, I offered advice to someone to share her opinion more effectively. I didnlt claim any expertise- other than I felt like she was causing more than good. The key here, it was an OPINION. Ironically, I stated I had NO knowledge about the school- imagine that!

I made another post suggesting a formation of an overseas organization- the post did not indicate expertise in anything--- I asked for thoughts on the IDEA.

While I do not have "personal" knowledge of life in Burma (never claimed I did), I do know several people here who have been to Burma. I trust their opinion. In addition, this exact same school had an opening for my wife and me and we both read extensive on the country. My wife even burrowed a book on Burma from one of the people with "first hand" knowledge. In despite his claim, Burma is very much a developing country. I would not put them on the same level as Thailand or Malaysia. BUT, you more than free to believe anything you like.

<-Pike---
Au revoir mon ami!
JonnyM

YIEC

Post by JonnyM »

As someone who worked at this school for a couple of years and experienced both the previous director and the current one, I would say that overall living in Myanmar is not easy however the people there are wonderful and make the experience worth it. The school itself has several issues, not the least of which being that it is a new school that is still finding its feet. Teachers have been let go in the past very unfairly, some of it involving the previous director and some of it the board. Contracts have not always been honoured completely. Like any school that is starting out, it has issues. Whether or not those issues would bother you is another story.