miski

Informed

miski

Post by Informed »

I am annoyed to the point of being compelled to write about it.

While miski is, I am sure, well intentioned she is a "kuwaiti" teacher that has managed to turn an international schools review forum into a Q8 is good forum. Is it too much to ask to stop entertaining her on this forum and agree to visit her on her private blog.

Miski, please do not bother to reply to this posting because I will not.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

Miski has as much right as anyone to post on this forum. Her comments are pro-Kuwaiti, for sure, but they have also always been related to the realities of international teacher. She just happens to have a Kuwaiti passport.

This has been the summer of Kuwaiti bashing on this forum, some justified, some shrill and hysterical. I work here and have taken offense to what has sometimes been said, because I believe it hurts me. If teachers don't show up to work in the schools of Kuwait, I will suffer as will the kids and other teachers at the schools.

International teachers shouldn't forget that they are not just going overseas to replicate their Western experiences. If that is why you are coming, please stay home. Teachers are also coming to learn things about their host nations. Sometimes they may not like what they see, but that is part of living overseas. I cannot be expected to appreciate everything I see in Kuwait, Korea, Japan or China (all countries where I have lived and taught), but I can come away from these experiences with a newfound sense of what makes the world an amazing place. It is so easy to criticize the differences instead of trying to go out and meet the people you live with.

A lot of foreigners in Kuwait never try to learn anything about the culture, religion, language and history. My kids are always amazed that I know as much as I do about the region. I try to make them feel good about what they have experienced. If someone doesn't care about the culture they have a right to criticize it, but is that all this forum is supposed to be?

So, while I might disagree with Miski and others from time to time, they have a right to come here and be positive about the place they have come to call there home. If you don't like it you can also voice your concerns, though I feel the best approach would be to find another job.

Kuwaitis aren't here to be exploited by teachers who want to make 20 kd an hour in tutoring. They haven't invited us to their country for this reason. So please come and learn a thing or two before returning to wherever your from with your big savings account. The kids, parents and the teachers (including yourself) deserve better in your life. Live a little. Learn a lot while you are doing it.
GHK

Post by GHK »

I tend to agree that everyone has a right to post and if I don't like what someone has to say, I simply won't read it... I think it's healthy to have different points of view even if they come from opposite directions. You never really know when someone bashes a school/place/adminsitrator if they just have a grudge or if it's truly a bad place. The same goes with glowing reviews..Is it the administration trying a little PR in order to more easily recruit people?

Personally, I always prefer postings from someone that is able to see both sides of a coin. It's rarely black or white and there are many shades of grey.
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

I have to agree that she has the right to post opinions like anyone else does. However, her opinions are very much pro Kuwait. There are 2 Kuwaits, one for people that hold Kuwaitie passports and one for people who don't. It's like a selective democracy. My problem with Miski is that she doesn't see it or maybe doesn't realize it. Jeffofarabia when you have spent as much time as my family and I have spent in Kuwait dealing with immigrations, maids, getting licenses, and truly living on the Arab economy then you can have an informed opinion. The school shelters you from that. Just remember it's never home and your nothing more than a guest, when push comes to shove they are always right and will get their way. Jeff you don't know what it is like to have motorcycles stolen or have neighbors threaten you because your American and have absolutely no help from the embassy or the police. So get off your #@%&@$% high horse. On the positive side it makes you a stronger and better person.
sheikmaster

Post by sheikmaster »

da3boyzs says about Kuwait:

"Just remember it's never home and your nothing more than a guest, when push comes to shove they are always right and will get their way."

Seems like that is the way it is in most countries I have worked in, NOT just Kuwait.

While I have found Miski's messages mildly annoying at times, I agree with Jeff. She, like anyone, has a right to post their views. I have worked in Kuwait for several years now, and I also feel that Kuwait has been bashed a bit too much this summer. Overall, I have enjoyed my time teaching in Kuwait. It has afforded me a good lifestyle, an opportunity to travel quite a bit and learn about the Muslim world, to save money, and to grow professionally and personally.
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

Yes, I to have enjoyed my 15 years in Kuwait and 5 years in Europe but let's remember there is no democratic process in Kuwait. Some people really don't understand what the consequences of that might lead to, ie Katherine Phillips. It's easy to get caught up in the good life of Kuwait and not payattention to anyting else. I think ISR was correct when they brought attention to Katerine's problem. If gives people some insight on what could go wrong,even if the chances of that happening are slim.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

[quote]Jeff you don't know what it is like to have motorcycles stolen or have neighbors threaten you because your American and have absolutely no help from the embassy or the police. So get off your #@%&@$% high horse. On the positive side it makes you a stronger and better person.[/quote]

While these things are all true I don't know if they put me on a high horse. I like it here. Not everything is perfect. When I feel I want to leave I will. Same as you. Aren't you a qualified teacher? No one is forcing you to stay here. There are job fairs where you can go to get something better. If you want to leave please do. I hopefully will leave before I get as bitter about Kuwait as you seem to be.

And it is true that Kuwait is an easy place to live. I was recently visiting a teaching friend in another country. He had so many difficulties in his daily life. I don't miss those. But I won't bite the hand that feeds me just so I can be more democratic. I know there are limitations here in Kuwait, but they are everywhere. When I am tired of this place I will go somewhere else. I have the qualifications and the williness to do that. Do you?
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

I know there are limitations here in Kuwait, but they are everywhere. When I am tired of this place I will go somewhere else. I have the qualifications and the williness to do that. Do you?[quote]

Isn't the point of this forum to inform people or share experiences good or bad? I just feel people should keep it real, be honest, so others can make informed decisions regarding their career. I feel you and Miski have clouded that water with your prceptions.

By the way, I have moved on, walked out of Kuwait and into my new job. I was unemplyed less than a week. I work less than 6 miles from my house, in a middle class to upper middle class suburban area on the beach. We have NO title one programs at my school, classrooms are spacious, every student has a text book and last year I had 15 students, this year I have 17. So evidently, I do have the qualifications and the williness to do so.[/quote]
GHK

Post by GHK »

I don't think anyone clouds water with different perceptions because that's what they are... Every place is different seen through the eyes of a different person. That's why it's important that everyone is entitled to post what they think. If you disagree then you say so... I don't think it means that either person is necessarily wrong.

I personally try not to judge a place by standards that I may be used to and I certainly hate to use the word democracy since I don't believe it truly exists anywhere, just different shades of grey. Wherever it is, we are pawns in a big chess game. The biggest difference is that some of us have the luxury to decide where we want to play that game.
jerry

Post by jerry »

da3boyzs...... in Kuwait or out?
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

Isn't it kind of ironic, now theres an entire thread being written about a poster? One, who some think posts too much! :lol:
Informed

missed point

Post by Informed »

I'm only replying because you seemed to have missed the point. I am not asking to repress anyone. I've done the Q8 thing and know the the ups, downs, good, bad, and ugly. Still have friends there, Q8e and non.

The point is there is a dead horse being beat. Let dead be dead and post about the poignant issues for Educators and the he said she said on the blog.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

It is still a pressing issue, because the ISR has a travel advisory against Kuwait. I didn't see one for any other country.
Informed

exactly

Post by Informed »

Exactly, so let us continue discussing the distressing issues that are upon us. There are real problems in Kuwait that we should stay focused on. Safety is one and helping officials there understand that American private schools must retain American administrators. Accrediting agencies require this and on the flip side the Ministry of Education in Kuwait are requiring private schools to be accredited.

Are we somehow going to help them or sit back and see what happens? Is there anyone out there taking the lead on this?
miski

Post by miski »

Wow....

I have been off line since my return to Kuwait as - and I TOO will complain about Kuwaiti beaurocracy-I haven't got a landline yet and ....too busy in school rewriting term overviews.....

Informed- thanks for your input, I quite like to annoy, I am a Leo you see.
As for being one sided, well I am simply defending the country which has given me an income, a family and a second home ( and a second passport). However, don't get me wrong, I too have gone through the trials and tribulations of being an 'expat' in Kuwait and I know what the problems are.I have also had 15 years of residence renewals, dodgy employers and almost unfair dismissals - not to mention 2 visits to the shoaon (Labour Office)......I am not wearing rose tinted spectacles but I will express my utter dismay and disgust at people who come here, take the money and moan,moan, moan. Look in your own backyard-no nation or its people is perfect.

Oh, re the blog ( www.donaldwheresurtroosers.wordpress.com ) - it's my own yes, but not private- come and post about Kuwait if you like, post links share stories- and yes I will moderate you if I feel like it, but what the hell, I am the boss there in my own private kingdom.

And by the way- I am forever touched at your nominating e for my own thread!!!! What a rush....... :wink: