British International School - Lagos

mrhairyman

British International School - Lagos

Post by mrhairyman »

I thought I would update people about BIS in Lagos.
Lagos419

British International School Lagos - Avoid

Post by Lagos419 »

I would say to any potential parents or staff, that BIS Lagos is a school on the decline.

It was established in 01/02 by a group of Nigerian Investors, and the Principal was: Ken Baines. He did a fine job getting the school up and running and things progressed until Sep 06.

Prior to that, there had been rumblings of boardroom problems, and no money was being spent on the school, wages arriving late etc.

However in Sep 06, one family took control of the board outright, and since then, the cashflow going into the school has dried up. They employ family members who do nothing, and are fiddling while Rome burns. Despite charging $12000 for day students and $20000 for boarders, salaries come late. Mr Baines left at Xmas 06 and the Vice Principal: Mr Preudhomme, left in Feb 07.

David Ogburn has taken over as Principal, but he has no real power. He has brought back an old VP in Rob Baker to help run the school, but they have only succeeded in alienating huge chunks of the staff by showing incredible favouritism, and not seeming concerned about the decline of the school.

The British High Commission no longer recommends BIS as the best secondary school in Lagos. Between Sept 06 and Jun 07, 16 non-Nigerian members of staff will have left the school. There is ONE working vehicle to share amongst a large pool of staff. The Science, Sports and ICT departments are falling apart. A breach of security recently saw a boys boarding house attacked by armed robbers.