Downsides of IT

jamcdona

Re: Downsides of IT

Post by jamcdona »

@sid

That's what I was imagining was generally the case, as one might find in any school in the world. Thanks for your input!
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

I don't think that the likelihood of sackings mid-contract is particularly great. I've only seen it once in my schools, and in that particular case it was a teacher who was considered as being a bit of a disruptive influence (although they were actually a good teacher, they really didn't like the school or the country and weren't afraid to say so!) It creates a gap which the school then has to manage, and often it's easier just to let the contract run down and not renew it (I've seen this much more often.)

But you are dependent on those two year renewals......
OF2018

Post by OF2018 »

I have been in the IT realm for over 10 years and this is my response:

Upsides
- Money, money, money (especially in Asia or Southeast Asia)
- Vacations that you can actually afford
- You learn so much from different educators at different schools
- You actually become a creative/transformative teacher
- IS can be much more "advanced" than national public schools back home
- Dating life can be amazing

Downsides
- Sense of "transience" and loneliness becomes stronger the longer you are in it : Many opportunities to date but you become lonely too because lack of commitment on your part or their part because you are an expat / foreigner
- Your family and friends back home start to grow up / change / become "strangers"
- Bad admin can get away with a lot
- Bad teachers can also get away with a lot
- Haaaarrrddd work (especially in Asia and Southeast Asia - you work like a corporate slave)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jamcdona

I can see both positions of @vandsmith and @sid. In upper tier ISs its closer to @Sids description, and at lower tier ISs its not an insignificant percentage.

Incompetence and insubordination are whatever leadership and the IS wants them to be. If they dont like you, or dont want you, and they want to get rid of you, they will. You can be great in the classroom, but you can be dismissed for things that would otherwise be protected.

Its not really possible to do the minimum in a contract, most contracts arent written with such objective and criterion related tasks and obligations, such that theres a minimum, usually specific behaviors are limited to criminal activity or "behavior detrimental to the image and reputation of the IS". The IS owns you, your going to do what they direct you to do. Usually, insubordination is something like, leadership dumping 6 hours a week of extra meetings, and the grumbles start, and someone either gets to the point they flip their poo, or they just stop, and after several disciplinary meetings nothing changes, and they think they can pick and choose what directives they are going to do. In the vast majority of cases, ITs are dismissed because they dont have the sense to resign. In the above scenario for example, the IT feels that the meetings exceed their understanding of the job, they are excessive, whatever, either 3 things happen, either leadership improves the situation, leadership lets it slide or leadership pursues disciplinary action. If the latter, and leadership is calling the IT to the line, than its either swallow your ego and pride and do the work, or execute your exit strategy and resign.

ITs usually arent dismissed for competence as it pertains to the classroom, you dont get in the door without some competence, and most of the issues that DTs would struggle with in DE dont exist or are greatly minimized in IE. Its usually poor fit in terms of interactions with other staff and leadership, not playing a political game, even if the game is keeping your mouth shut, and putting on a smile. Usually poor performance such as exam scores are dealt with non-renewal, not dismissal. In regards to curriculum, its usually not the problem, most IE curriculum at SLL are highly congruent, its usually scope, sequence, and methodology. If your a chalk and talk/drill and kill IT and then you have to do UIs and thematic lessons such as in PYP, its an adaptation and it takes longer for some than others, but typically two years is enough time that ITs are onboard even if they are behind. There is no curriculum (meds/peds) that requires a skill set that isnt part of EPP/ITT programs.

Replacement isnt difficult at all mid term or year, provided the IS is comfortable lowering their expectations. Most ITs arent replaced mid year following the winter holiday, its far more common for an IT spouse or a LH is utilized. Its disruptive, but its not difficult. Though most resolutions are more likely to involve non-renewal or a change in contract length and non-renewal, or the most common a mutual dissolution.

There was a tier 3 IS that needed 9 new ITs they recruited and hired 20, 4 of them didnt show up, the rest when they arrived were assembled together and told their contracts were voided, and were presented with new contracts at significantly reduced comp and greater tasks and fewer benefits. The first ones to sign kept their appointments and the rest were dismissed with nothing. The IS still had to go back and recruit an ICT IT who got and kept the first original recruiting offer.