FBI background check arrest- which countries to avoid?

Cris16

FBI background check arrest- which countries to avoid?

Post by Cris16 »

Hello Forum Members,

I'm a veteran US based teacher and am considering entering international education in the future. In my research so far, it seems that most quality international schools require some kind of background check- the most common for US-based teachers being the FBI background check. I was arrested many years ago when I was in my late teens for a misdemeanor, alcohol-related (non-DUI) offense (underage drinking in my State). I was told at the time that it would be wiped (the conviction) from my record upon completion of some community service (which it was); however, nowadays FBI background checks report ANY interaction with Johnny Law. I recently checked and the arrest is there but not the conviction. I have had no issues with the law in the 25 years since.

This offense and the arrest was sealed (it is not eligible for expungement in my State) a couple years ago through my State's court and now is off most private background check services. However, the arrest is still on the FBI background check as the FBI is NOT obligated to update its information or to cooperate with State courts. Thus, I've done everything I can in to minimize the reporting.

I am comfortable informing future employers of this situation and explaining the specifics of the issue right from the beginning, if asked to disclose. However, I understand that this might cause issues in some countries that require a perfectly "clean" background check- I am wondering if anyone knows of specific countries where this would be an automatic disqualifier for a work visa? I'd rather just avoid these countries altogether. For example, I have come to learn that I would not qualify for a UAE work visa due to a "mark" (arrest) on my FBI report, which they require. Thank you in advance.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Based on the information you provided and in your scenario, none of them.
Cris16

Re: FBI background check arrest- which countries to avoid?

Post by Cris16 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Based on the information you provided and in your scenario, none of them.

I've already been told that UAE will not give a work visa to an American who has any mark on the FBI background check. I have also heard (trying to get confirmation) that other countries like Saudi, Korea, and China may have the same policy.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cris16

Whoever told you whatever you were told was misleading. It would be true (in so much as it would be more difficult) if you actually had a conviction, but you dont, you just have a juvenile arrest that was disposed of without conviction for a non-violent offense. The UAE wont even twitch, and neither will anyone else.
Cris16

Re: Reply

Post by Cris16 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Cris16
>
> Whoever told you whatever you were told was misleading. It would be true
> (in so much as it would be more difficult) if you actually had a
> conviction, but you dont, you just have a juvenile arrest that was disposed
> of without conviction for a non-violent offense. The UAE wont even twitch,
> and neither will anyone else.

I really wish you were correct, PsyGuy, but I believe you are wrong. But the point of this thread isn't to argue with you and your point is noted.

To get the thread back on track- Does anyone else know of other countries that require a perfectly "clean" background check as a requirement for a work visa?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cris16

Well believing something doesnt make it true. It has been on track, there are no regions that require a perfectly clean FBI CRB for a work visa/permit (in so much as your scenario would not barr you from obtaining a working visa), but you can believe whatever you want.
Cris16

Post by Cris16 »

Just a quick update to let others who have had any interactions with the law in their past and how it can affect their ability to get a work visa in some countries.

I have learned, so far, that there are at least 3 countries where you will be denied a work visa if you have ANY (even a minor, non-violent) infraction on your USA FBI fingerprint background check. Those countries are the UAE, Korea, and some provinces in China (currently depends on the province but my source says this will likely be standardized country-wide in the future). I've gotten first-hand accounts from people who have either been denied a work visa or from administrators who currently work in these countries.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Ironically - this can actually be a problem too if you're applying for a job in the US and have any conviction in any other country - it makes the process at best more difficult. (It's not a problem for me, just to be clear!)
applebutter

Post by applebutter »

This is an issue in China. We had a teacher at my school who was denied a working visa because he had a DUI on his record from right after high school. He wasn't able to finish the school year here, and he had to be replaced. He was pissed but I don't have a lot of sympathy for him because he was a jerk.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cris16

None of those are really true, they are circumstantial and situational. I personally know an adult IT convicted of jaywalking in SG and is working in SK with a work visa. I know a number of ITs in China who have various convictions for minor crimes on their CRB and they have work visas. If your convicted of armed robbery than yes, this is likely to be an issue for you in those regions but it will be an issue everywhere (too varying degrees).

China doesnt have a "provincial" immigration procedure its done at the national level, it wight change in the future, but I doubt it, China needs too many western ITs and ETs. The same goes (and to a lessor degree) in SK.
Cris16

Post by Cris16 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Cris16
>
> None of those are really true, they are circumstantial and situational. I personally
> know an adult IT convicted of jaywalking in SG and is working in SK with a work
> visa. I know a number of ITs in China who have various convictions for minor crimes
> on their CRB and they have work visas. If your convicted of armed robbery than yes,
> this is likely to be an issue for you in those regions but it will be an issue everywhere
> (too varying degrees).
>
> China doesnt have a "provincial" immigration procedure its done at the national level,
> it wight change in the future, but I doubt it, China needs too many western ITs
> and ETs. The same goes (and to a lessor degree) in SK.

@Psyguy- I don't believe you because you are dead wrong. My sources directly contradict everything you wrote. Period. So believe whatever you want to believe. This is the last time I will respond to your rubbish.

For others- I would appreciate more input from others who have experienced problems getting a work visa in certain countries because of any "blemish" on the FBI background check (even an arrest). We already have confirmed that in UAE, Korea, USA (for background checks of non-Americans) and parts of China, it can be a real issue/problem. Thank-you in advance.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cris16

We disagree, my experiences and your sources are not congruent with your. Liam's, mainly because you are wrong. Your sources s are essentialy fear mongering, X individual had Y experience this will be the experience for all, forever, and that's bunk, nutter talk.
You have confirmed nothing except that perhaps X individual had an issue in SK or China or the UAE none of which is definitive or confirmed to any standard of fact. If these are facts than provide a citation from a formal and official government source to the effect. Otherwise your claims are nothing more than that claims, which despite your insistence are not self-authenticating.
thebeard

Post by thebeard »

@ Chris 16 Have you thought of going through a recruiting service like Search Associates? Maybe you could explain your situation to them and see what they say?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@thebeard

If the LW does and SA says no and rejects them, then what? They are out their fees, and now the LW has been fully rejected. What is the upside?