Admin experience and going back to classroom teaching

twostars

Admin experience and going back to classroom teaching

Post by twostars »

I am in the running for a curriculum coordinator position, which is combined with teaching one course. I am very excited about the prospect of doing curriculum development, particularly as they have the IB diploma program, but I don't plan to move into administration in the long term. How might this look on my CV in the future? Would several years mostly out of the classroom, but doing curriculum development, along with some coaching and leading professional development, have any downsides? I don't imagine so, but I'm curious.
applebutter

Re: Admin experience and going back to classroom teaching

Post by applebutter »

This is a low level admin position with a teaching component. I don't think you will have an issue in the future. Now if you had several years experience as a school principal or higher and went back to teaching it might raise some questions.
sid

Post by sid »

Should be fine. Even long term admin sometimes move back to the classroom just because they want to.
But be advised, you might just want to stay admin!
twostars

Post by twostars »

sid wrote:
> Should be fine. Even long term admin sometimes move back to the classroom
> just because they want to.
> But be advised, you might just want to stay admin!

Lol, yeah well that wouldn't be a problem obviously!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Whats the one course?
It depends what you age going from and later back too.

Your strongest utility is what you most recently have done. Teaching one course for a few hours a week is going to move you out of the classroom. It will be harder to go back the longer you spend out of the classroom and in an office. You will however grow a new and different skill set that may compensate for the lose in classroom experience moving forward.

Coordinator can be a junior leadership position but with the amount of time your spending on that and not in the classroom its closer to senior leadership than it is to junior leadership.
twostars

Post by twostars »

The one course is Theory of Knowledge, which I have taught before. Mainly I am a social studies teacher, but I've taught a lot of different stuff. Moving into an instructional coach and/or curriculum development role in future (like DP or MYP coordinator) is appealing to me, so I guess we'll see!