Living in Sharjah

applebutter

Living in Sharjah

Post by applebutter »

So I have decided to accept a position in Sharjah. Does anyone have experience living and working in this part of the UAE? This will be my first time working in the UAE and any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Apple
vandsmith

Re: Living in Sharjah

Post by vandsmith »

depends on what you like in your life...it's the most conservative of the emirates and no alcohol. i think it's got a zoo, but zoos in the UAE are depressing. i hope you received a great package because you should save a lot.

good luck!

v.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I REALLY hope you got an AMAZING package. There is nothing there really except some water/beach sports in the summer and a few museums that you will exhaust in a weekend. You are basically living and working in a rather large suburb of Dubai (it takes about an hour by metro to get into Dubai). There is a private members sports club that costs about USD$150/year which gets you access to the pub which is the only bartop in the area (when you get your license you can bring beverages in and consume them at home). It is the most conservative part of the UAE. If youre the homebody type you should be able to bank some significant coin.
vandsmith

Re: Living in Sharjah

Post by vandsmith »

i'll second one part of PsyGuy's comments, but this goes for those in dubai and abu dhabi as well: if you can get a membership to one of the clubs - british club for example, do it! it's worth it - or at least the one in abu dhabi was for us!

v.