bad experience - what to do?!

tommypizza

bad experience - what to do?!

Post by tommypizza »

I'm a 20 year teacher...10 of which were overseas. After 10 abroad, I returned to the USA...got a teaching job. Alls good until the principal that hired me retired and I did not do well during that admin transition. To make a long story short, my non-tenured contract was not renewed...essentially getting fired.

How do I represent this experience on a resume? I'm tempted to omit this from my resume but I do not want to be dishonest.

The job was not a good fit for me and it showed. It was the single worst experience in my career.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The issue is more do you represent it or dont you, there isnt much you can do to spin the experience that is in your control. A recruiter can always pick up the phone or send an email after doing a Google search of the DS and is likely to get in contact with whoever the principal or HOS was if they want to. Theres not much control you have over that. What is in your control is to ghost the experience or not ghost it.

If you want to report the experience, factors to consider:
1) What does your letter from the board/ownership actually say? If it doesnt state you were terminated for good cause that your contract was just not renewed for vague and ambiguous reasons, than youre making more out of this than it is.
2) Whats your DSs policy on release of information. Your DS by policy may simply provide nothing more than a service record and formal evaluation perhaps a copy of the contract and non-renewal notice.
3) Can you get a reference and an email from the previous principal that hired you? You could spin this that the previous principal knew you and your work better.
4) Do you have other supportive members of leadership such as AP/VP/DP and HODs, or coordinators, etc. You can use for a reference? If so than over a 20 year career thats positive except for this one issue is an artifact.

There isnt much of a spin you can do on the resume in citing it, you want to cite it the same as you do everything else so that it blends in. Its just another line item with a personality conflict which you want to explain at the interview. have a story for it, make it brief but you dont want to draw attention to it on the resume. If you ghost it, have a story for what you did during that time.