QTS Certification

Ouroboros

QTS Certification

Post by Ouroboros »

I found a site - National College for Teaching and Leadership from the UK government - claiming to give QTS certificate to any teachers either trained in the UK, europe, or in USA. Is this the legitimate site for getting the QTS certificate because the whole process didn't ask for any processing fees whatsoever. I'm a bit worried because in the USA, I do get charged a hefty sum for my teaching certificates.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well you didn't include a link to verify, but yes the TCL (National College for Teaching and Leadership) is the regulatory authority in England. There is no fee or cost to apply for QTS as an OTT.
Ouroboros

Re: QTS Certification

Post by Ouroboros »

Psyguy,

Thanks for the clarification.
This is the site: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-t ... status-qts
and then I went into the part regarding getting QTS for teachers qualified in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the USA to apply.

Is this certificate good for only the UK, Europe, and the EEA? Is it recognized in Asia ? I was looking into internatonal schools in Hong Kong and China, and they kept mentioning PGCE, and QTS as qualifications.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Ouroboros

Yes, thats the site, and yes if you follow the link to the application, and create an account you can apply for QTS in about 5-10min and there is no cost. If your state or jurisdiction maintains an online register of your credential you dont even need to send anything in, and there is no fee. QTS is a lifetime professional educator credential that requires no PD and never requires renewing, further, you are not required to undergo induction in England.

Its actually only valid for maintained DSs in England, Wales doesnt recognize QTS earned as an OTT and Scotland only accepts academic routes of ITT/EPP (meaning that QTS is by itself immaterial, you would be assessed based on how you originally certified), the same is true of Ireland.

QTS is the professional educator credential in England, its as accepted as any other professional credential or registration obtained by the regulatory authorities of any other national governing body. Its equivalent to the professional grade and is equivalent to a stage three credential. For purposes of IE its accepted globally at regulated DSs its acceptance depends on the jurisdiction.

So there are three terms to be familiar with: qualification, credential, and license. There is some overlap but essentially:

Qualification; is a snapshot that at a certain time and date and place you met some level of "professional accomplishment". The conferring of a degree is a great example, at a certain time you met the graduation requirements for a particular degree, it doesnt really mean you retained that information, or have kept up with developments in the field or anything else for that matter, not even if you were competent or proficient.

Credential; Is recognition by a governing authority that you meet or met proficiency and competencies required for practice within a particular profession. So you get a degree in education thats a qualification, you then complete so many hours of field experience and complete general assessment criteria, and whatever other requirements and you are admitted/registered/credentialed into the profession. Some authorities dont actually award a credential as a document, but instead maintain a register or list of educators. This can happen in the US where a DT candidate completes the degree but cant pass the certification exam or doesnt do the field experience, or something else.

Licensure; Is the explicit authorization of an individual to provide and perform instructional services. Its difficult to picture this for a US DT/IT as being separate from a credential, since the two terms are often used interchangeably, but in some cases for example a DT could have say a lifetime credential, but hasnt completed PD hours and so loses licensure.

It makes more sense in the UK, which Ill explain in a bit. One last thing which is the term 'certificate', this is simply a document that records some event or performance, its often used generically to describe any of the above and also other events such as a PD certificate or workshop certificate, all it does is document what it purports to document. X completed Y hours of Z training.

So in the UK (England) like the US there are multiple paths of obtaining QTS (which isnt the only credential, QTLS is another, but QTS is the most common). The academic path is part of a formal course of study which can be done at the undergrad level (a B.Ed) or the graduate level (M.Ed, etc.) and in between is a one year course of study program called the PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education), its closest equivalent in the US would be a "post-bach" program. A PGCE can be offered at the undergraduate level (which doesnt award any graduate credits) or at the Masters level which will award graduate credits typically towards a Masters. Its also possible to get a PGCE as part of a Uni relationship as part of a School Direct program (think ACP program in the US) as well as AO (Assessment Only).
When a DT in the UK completes their PGCE they are whats called an NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) and they have NQT QTS, what this means is that to teach in a maintained (regulated/public) DS they must complete a process of "Induction" they get additional time off during the school day and a mentor DT, but they must successfully score satisfactory against the national teacher standards. They may only do this once, there are no redos or repeats or additional tries, if they are unsuccessful for whatever reason they are added to the barred list. As an OTT with QTS you are exempt from the induction requirement. As a result a fair number of DTs in the UK never go though induction, it just has really high stakes, especially for a new DT who is still working out the realities of public/maintained education. As a result they stay NQTs.

What does that mean for IE, well not very much in most of the tiers. An NQT regardless of how long they have been a DT/IT still has QTS, and induction only applies to maintained/public DSs. Full QTS only really develops utility in 1st tier BSs. Its even possible now to do induction at inspected BSs. So yes you have a technical advantage over an IT that is a NQT, but from a practical POV actual curriculum and experience in a BS is more valued than which type of QTS you have.

So earlier I wrote Id tell you why all the differences between qualification, credential, and license. Its because in the UK the three are independent. Its essentially impossible to lose QTS in the UK, the only time it happens is when QTS is invalidated as a result of some error or fraud, in which case the rational is it should have never been issued to begin with. As a result what can happen is a DT completes a PGCE (qualification) and then receives QTS, and then this DT goes and does something stupid like sleep with a student. The TCL will then hold an inquiry and hearing, and if misconduct is determined the DT would receive what is called a "barring order", the DT still gets to keep their QTS (a credential) but is no longer licensed to serve as a DT. However this isnt all inclusive, because a DT can have a barring order and not be prohibited from contact or association or working with children. That is a separate process and results in being added to the barred lists (list 99) meaning you cant serve or work in any profession or environment that puts you in contact with that population (there are separate barring lists for children and adults). So our stupid DT could sleep with a student who is of the legal age of consent. Still keeps their PGCE and there QTS, receives a barring order, revoking their license to teach, but isnt added to the barring list for children, and so can still get a job working at a childrens hospital.
McTeacher

Post by McTeacher »

Hi - I'm Canadian, but did my teacher's cert through a university in the States.I applied for QTS status through the National College for Teaching & Leadership, jumped through some paper hoops, and was awarded it a month or so later.
Easy peasy lemon squeezey.
I had no real reason to do it, other than fitting in with everyone that I was working with at a British International school. Those pompous Brits seemed to look down at any other qualification, except a British one.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@McTeacher

US credentials arent the only ones accepted, had you completed your EPP/ITT in CAN and registered in a CAN province that would have also been accepted for QTS.

Yes its true generally, hard not to blame them though when you look at regions like the US, where you can get a credential by assessment without any professional preparation at all. Many English and British do not have any idea how rigorous the EPP/ITT standards are for CAN DTs/ITs.
You can now hold your QTS over the heads of those who are only NQTs and havent completed induction.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

McTeacher wrote:
> Hi - I'm Canadian, but did my teacher's cert through a university in the States.I
> applied for QTS status through the National College for Teaching & Leadership, jumped
> through some paper hoops, and was awarded it a month or so later.
> Easy peasy lemon squeezey.
> I had no real reason to do it, other than fitting in with everyone that I was working
> with at a British International school. Those pompous Brits seemed to look down
> at any other qualification, except a British one.
=============
Actually they still won't likely respect YOUR QTS very much since UK teachers are generally are not very happy that they award it virtually automatically to overseas trained teachers.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

AND those OTT ITs didnt have to go through induction with the risk of being barred.
McTeacher

Post by McTeacher »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:

> =============
> Actually they still won't likely respect YOUR QTS very much since UK teachers are
> generally are not very happy that they award it virtually automatically to overseas
> trained teachers.

They're just upset that the British teaching system isn't very good - the latest PISA results attest to that - tee hee hee
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@McTeacher

If its true they are upset, than the US has nothing to brag about. The US scored lower in all areas compared to the UK, and in the case of maths at least the UK scored above average, while the US did MUCH worse.
McTeacher

Re: Reply

Post by McTeacher »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @McTeacher
>
> If its true they are upset, than the US has nothing to brag about. The US
> scored lower in all areas compared to the UK, and in the case of maths at
> least the UK scored above average, while the US did MUCH worse.

As I said, I'm Canadian. I'm not sure they liked that one of their little colonies kicked their arses :)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@McTeacher

Yes and unlike the US which was a FORMER colony, CAN is still a colony of the Crown, so your scores are technically their (the UKs) scores. Also your colony isnt so little, good thing the PISA didnt have a geography score.