How To Be a Good Colleague

Natapop

How To Be a Good Colleague

Post by Natapop »

So, for the pros out there, if you are able to reflect on HOW you do it, I would love some advice!

Background: At my first gig (at a large public school), I never had any problems with colleagues. I was friendly and professional, and it felt great to be part of the community. However, there were a few things that made this easy (I only realized later): a real range in age/experience (not everyone in their 20s), most people having their social lives outside of work, and not being forced to collaborate (I did, but only by choice with those who shared the same interests - e.g. a grade partner who I loved working with, a PLC). Also, I respected my colleagues as professionals, and could recognize everyone was doing their best.

At my first IS, I have lost confidence in my ability to be a good colleague. Pretty quickly, I realized that a) the majority of the staff socialized together (as their main social group), b) perhaps as a result, things were gossipy/dramatic, c) I found a lot of my colleagues' professionalism lacking. In turn, I became pretty withdrawn. On top of that, I have been required to "collaborate" much more than at my previous school, and my impatience with colleagues has shown once in a while. All in all, I don't feel great about how I fit in this school community.

I'm starting at a different campus (same organization) in September, and my number one goal is to make things smoother with colleagues (regardless of how they socialize/their professionalism). Any tips on how to get along with everyone (without becoming part of the clique) and withhold judgement (if a colleague is being unprofessional) are very welcome!
mamava

Re: How To Be a Good Colleague

Post by mamava »

First of all, you sound like you have a pretty positive attitude and outlook, so being able to keep that is essential. I think there are more clique-type behaviors at international schools than I experienced at my US schools. Focusing on other like-minded people is good. There are also ways to look at your colleagues for where you can make decent connections--a person you may not be able to work easily with at work may be a person you can have a good time with socially (at least in groups). People that booze it up and behave one way socially may be people that can be decent work colleagues.

Some of the other things--being impatient with colleagues and letting it show--are just things you have to manage within yourself. Recognizing which people trigger those feelings and in what situations can help you manage that and keep your outward "face" positive--or at least neutral. Stepping up and contributing, not being a sounding board for the negative can help, too! Good luck!
AuntFlo

Post by AuntFlo »

This is something I've struggled with since I went abroad several years ago. I don't particularly enjoy hanging out with most teachers in my free time. I usually have a couple of decent friends on staff wherever I go and it is usually with people that aren't too "plugged in" to the social pipeline of the school since I like my privacy. I find numerous international teachers to be gossipy, clicky, unprofessional, and to have poor boundaries. The latest batch of millennial teachers who have come abroad in recent years are the worst, in my opinion (although it permeates all ages, unfortunately). I prefer to make social connections with those outside the work environment but some administrators and colleagues will look down upon those who would prefer to have a balanced social life outside of school. International teaching can be a lot like high school sometimes in terms of clicks, popularity, and immature drama. I prefer to stay out of that chaos as much as possible.

But on how to be a good colleague, I find that if you show as much respect as you can to your colleagues while ignoring all the "noise" you're much better off. I have found that it pays to be very good at what you do since if you are perceived to be not "social enough" with colleagues plus mediocre at your job, it's much more likely you won't last.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

To the OP, I think some of this job satisfaction issue can be dealt with by selecting the right school.

There are some international schools where there is less interaction between colleagues outside of school. There are few qualities you might look for. This is more likely to happen when the local community is more accessible and easy to navigate as a foreigner. Look for schools where faculty can select their own housing and you're not terribly limited in your transportation to/from work. So places where it's possible and/or common to have your own car. Also, I'd say as a general trend the better paying/located schools will attract older faculty and they are likely to be married and have kids, so their socializing patterns may be different and a bit less focused on going out with peers.

I have a number of close friends that are on staff and I socialize a lot with them, but I also have local friends and expat friends who don't work at my international school and work outside of education. Spending time with these other friends keeps things from being too focused on work all the time.

But I do think the conditions of international teaching mean that colleagues have relationships that differ fundamentally from working at a national school back home. I'd say it's an environment that is less like high school and a lot more like university. You're far from home under stressful circumstances and you end up turning to your peers for support. Like university, close friendships that last a long time can form fairly quickly. But there are also issues where you find people are less reliable that you want or their focus is very different from your own, so not every initial friendship will really work out.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

I just finished reading an article from an American educator named Angela Watson that addresses similar problems and resolutions with teaching colleagues. Even though she isn't an international teacher many of the topics she addresses are relative, and I find it refreshing to peruse her site every now and then for sound advice. You can either read the article or listen on her podcast, particularly points 3-5.
https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/t ... ms-solved/
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I have to start with disagreeing with @eion_padraig, the advice that a lot of this can be broken down to "choosing the right school" assumes you know the actual truth about each and every IS before you have your feet on the ground, and in the vast number of cases thats just not true or available.

First, understand that you must be doing something right, as you havent been dismissed and are continuing with the organization, so someone either understand or doesnt think much about it.

Second, is this all you and your perceptions. You might want to talk to your past leadership and get their perspective, its possible this is mostly all in your head, and what your feeling isnt what your projecting.

Third, there isnt a lot you can do, unless you want to change yourself. Most of the issues are generally outside your control, unless you want to change. If your new group of colleagues is the young socializing and drama filled group, theres not much you can do about that scenario unless you decide you want to be part of that. If you dont than very little about that is going to change.

Fourth, Start early at your new IS location. Identify other ITs early that you want to collaborate with and then go to leadership and get some acknowledgment so that later when collaboration time becomes a center issue you and your work croup (PLC) can skip passed some of the drama.

Fifth, get on board with leadership early, as soon as you get their, sit down for a few minutes and give them a brief presentation of what you want to do. ITs that are proactive tend to be one less problem leadership has to contend with, and as long as there arent any problems or complaints you wont be something they have to deal with.

Sixth, understand that many of younger colleagues are young, and its just that stage of their life where a lot of the IS scene is new and exciting to them, and yes they have more drama. You were at that place/age once too, and if I can pass on some advice:
1) Smile
2) Keep your mouth shut
3) See rule 1 and 2 above