US State Dept. Support for Schools

Conant

US State Dept. Support for Schools

Post by Conant »

In my research of overseas schools, I have noticed that some schools have a connection to the US State Dept. For example, the recent posts on two schools in Guatamala (Colegio Maya and the American School of Guatamala). The former is listed on the web site of of the Office of Overseas at the Dept of State, the latter is not. And I've noticed some schools note that one or more members of its board is appointed by the sitting US Ambassador. One assumption I have is that the US State Dept funded many of these schools in the "old" days when few school existed for staff, and I presume funding remains to some extent today in many schools. I have even noticed that the US mailing address for many schools is in Washington, D.C., at what I assume might be a State Dept office.

For those who have worked in schools where the Dept of State provides funding, is there anything different about these schools from others where that support is not provided? Are these the only schools where the Dept of State will fund the education of their employees' children? In general, does this association make any difference in the type of place is to teach and be taught?
Pike

Post by Pike »

The International Community School of Abidjan (ICSA)
This school received a startup grant to get the school started when it was established. It wasn't a school founded to be an American Embassy school, but staff members children would attend the school.

The school also uses land owned by the US Sate Dept. and it receives a 40,000 grants annual for books. US Embassy has two members on the board who are chosen by the embassy.

ICSA, despite the influences of the embassy is and always will be a private school. The only schools that are government "controlled" that I know of are Dept. of Defense schools. I believe you have apply to those schools in the same manner as any other prospective government employee does.

<-Pike---
My most hated quote when things don't go as plan, " Welcome to Aftica"
Lulu

(ICSA) Ivory coast

Post by Lulu »

Does anyone know what ICSA is like now ?
overseasvet2

state dept supported schools

Post by overseasvet2 »

It is my understanding that any school that enrolls a child of a department of state (U.S.) can receive some financial assistance from the US gov't. This might be in the form of PD, consultants, security grants, liasing with local gov't ministries, etc. This is all in addition to the tuition paid for the students. Depending on the history of the school, there may be some restrictions as to the make up of the board. For example, a school's bylaws may require that the school board president be a US citizen. From my experience, the ambassador's rep is usually just there to voice the interests of the US embassy and is not a voting member of the board.

There are schools where the teachers receive some of the same perks as diplomats but those numbers are shrinking quickly. In some cities, it can be hard to figure out which is truly the international school vs a school with predominantly local population. I use the State Dept. list as one of the resources when doing my homework on a school. That is a personal preference and does not mean that a school not on the list can't be a quality institution.