Which route is best for me to get certified?

BocaNY

Which route is best for me to get certified?

Post by BocaNY »

Hello,

I have read a few threads on getting certified. I have a few more questions. I

I have my BA and a MS in TESOL. I did do a 3 month student teaching in a public school in NYC. I want to get certified in ESL & science and eventually NBCT certification. Now my questions are:

1. When saying accredited IS does that included CIE accredited schools?

2. Is it possible to get a job in a IS with just an initial teacher license? (I have what is required to get this in NYS just need to take the exams.)

3. In NYC one needs a Master's and 3 years teaching to get the professional teacher license, would they count the time at an IS school or another country's public school system?

4.Since I have a master's which of the programs mentioned through out these boards would be best for me? (The Teach Now and Texans Teacher ACP look good to me but if I can get a job with just the initial license from my home state even better.)

5.Are there any other states that one can take the exams and get licensed without going through a program or with only doing 3-4 months student teaching?

6. In regards to the PGCEi route, can one still get the QTS without doing the PGCEi but having a license from a state in the US?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for any help you can gave me.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Which route is best for me to get certified?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

BocaNY wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have read a few threads on getting certified. I have a few more questions. I
>
> I have my BA and a MS in TESOL. I did do a 3 month student teaching in a public
> school in NYC. I want to get certified in ESL & science and eventually NBCT certification.
> Now my questions are:
>
> 1. When saying accredited IS does that included CIE accredited schools?
>
> 2. Is it possible to get a job in a IS with just an initial teacher license? (I
> have what is required to get this in NYS just need to take the exams.)
>
> 3. In NYC one needs a Master's and 3 years teaching to get the professional teacher
> license, would they count the time at an IS school or another country's public school
> system?
>
> 4.Since I have a master's which of the programs mentioned through out these boards
> would be best for me? (The Teach Now and Texans Teacher ACP look good to me but
> if I can get a job with just the initial license from my home state even better.)
>
> 5.Are there any other states that one can take the exams and get licensed without
> going through a program or with only doing 3-4 months student teaching?
>
> 6. In regards to the PGCEi route, can one still get the QTS without doing the PGCEi
> but having a license from a state in the US?
>
> Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for any help you can gave me.
------------------------------------
I have a few thoughts. Others will probably have more input.

1. Yes, CIE is one of the organizations that accredit int'l schools.

2. Yes, it is very possible to get a job with a provisional/temporary certificate. I started applying with only a temporary cert and no one ever seemed to have a problem with it.

3. You should probably get specific advice on this. I seem to recall that there was some mentoring requirement for the first year. I don't remember whether there were further requirements about the location/type of experience.

4. I haven't really kept up with the more recent certification programs.

5. Florida used to be fairly relaxed about requirements. I have my certification there and never had student teaching etc. You would have to research the current requirements.

6. I recall that they did open up QTS for overseas trained teachers and it was pretty much just paperwork if you have certification from the US. The one caveat a few years back was that you needed a letter from the Dept. of Ed. of your certifying authority saying that your certificate never expired. Florida was giving me the run around with this so I gave up.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

1) No, well maybe. CIE is an examination board, it has little to do with accreditation. Many lower tier BSs are not inspected but they offer the exams as a testing site. Accredited for a BS IS would require Ofsted inspection by an approved inspectorate (of which Cambridge Education is an approved provider).

2) Yes, an initial license is acceptable in IE, as long as the credential would provide eligibility to deliver instructional services.
Generally there are three classes of credentials, entry level, professional level, advance level. A professional level credential is one that:
A) Is continuous, either lifetime or renewable
B) Has no deficiencies
C) Provides eligibility of the holder to provide independent instructional services.

An Entry level credential does not meet all of the above criteria, but still authorizes the holder to provide instructional services. Often for a limited period of time until the deficiency requirements are met. There might also be further restrictions on the credential
An Advance certificate meets all the criteria of a professional credential and has additional requirements. Usually an advance degree, or X years of experience.

3) Probably Not, the exception would be if you were teaching at one of the ASs that is a DOS assisted IS. Unfortunately NYS has had too many applicants attempting to use EE experience to meet the experience requirements.

4) You are employable with the initial credential, there is no reason to complete another AS certification program. What you need to do is transition your credential to another state that will give you a professional credential, and the easiest one is Texas, as that state only has one credential type (standard/professional). The other credential types are only used in specific scenarios (probationary when youre an intern and the provisional which you will get at first until you complete the Texas exams). The other option is you may be eligible for the regular standard (professional) credential in D.C. through transcript ana1ysis.

5) Kind of confusing most student teaching field experience is 3-4 months. Im going to assume that your question is are there any other states you could get certified in without going through an EPP/ITT.

Yes, You could get an entry level credential (CE/Certificate of Eligibility) from New Jersey (its the only state you can get a credential without ever setting foot in a classroom). CA has some options if you are former Peace Corp, or have private/independent DS/IS experience. Hawaii would likely give you an inital credential based on your NYS credential. Connecticut has a pathway to initial certification if you have 2 years of DS/IS experience that doesnt require an ITT/EPP. Missouri will issue you an initial credential if you have a doctorate in a teaching field (and complete the appropriate meds/peds exam).

6) If you have a credential from the US, CAN, AUS, NZ you can apply directly for QTS. You do not need to complete a PGCE. You could try applying for QTS with your NYS initial credential, technically you wouldnt be eligible but you might slip through a crack.
BocaNY

Post by BocaNY »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

WT123

I used to live in Florida and went to uni there. I believe last time I looked I at their requirements they said one needed to do 1 yr teaching in a FL public school to get the standard/professional cert.

PsyGy

I don't mind getting the initial cert. but would like to be able to transition to the professional cert.

As for question 5 I just want to explain what I meant. I know that in NYS one can get the initial cert and then they have 5 years to complete the requirements of a master's & 3 yrs teaching to receive the professional cert. I wanted to bypass the 3 yrs part ( I know teaching in a NYC public school for 3 yrs will kill my love of teaching) and still have a professional cert. So I was hoping there was still a state that only required taking the exams to get a standard/professional cert or less then a year teaching in their public schools.

From all the information you have given me, it sounds like I should just take the exams in Texas, D.C., or NJ instead of NY and I will get a standard/professional one right away. Is that correct?

I was talking to my colleague and she suggested taking the exam for English teacher instead of ESL/ELA teacher. She said it would be more flexible and better for getting a job. What is your opinion on this? I would have to see if I meet the requirements for English first.

Finally, I love science and would love to teach it. I know I can pass the science exam but I don't have a degree in science. Would Texas or NJ not mind the non degree part if I passed the state exam? I am looking at general science for middle school or earth sciences.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@BocaNY

Most states in traditional (and even some alternative programs) student teaching is one semester/term. NYS has one of the most challenging pathways in obtaining credentials.

For Texas credentialing you would have to take the TeXas (thats what they call the exam) its offered in a few states outside of Texas (mostly neighboring states), so likely youd have to travel, though you can take 2 tests per day (and you need to take at least two tests, the PPR and the subject area exams. After you take the exams and assuming you had no deficiencies youd be issued a standard certificate which is the professional credential in Texas.

D.C. and NJ both use the PRAXIS which is offered globally and nationally at various test centers, typically a Uni overseas or at a Uni or other testing facility (IE. Prometric).
D.C. would either give you a standard or nothing, NJs requirements are esoteric, you have to complete a 24 hour Meds/peds course, and they only accept programs completed in NJ, you also need to complete a hygiene requirement, a 2.75 GPA and in the case of ESOL you have to pass an English language fluency test (even though its your native language), then the three Praxis exams. Its convoluted and would likely require some travel (Im guessing your in NY so you can slum down to NJ for a bit, just take a shower afterwords with a good anti bacterial soap and a brillo pad and you should be okay, thats why NJ has the hygiene requirement), but you would then get a CE with lifetime validity and never having stepped into a classroom. You would have to return to NJ to transition the CE to a higher credential. NJ wouldnt give you their Standard credential (which is an advance level credential).

English (Literature) is a pretty saturated field, anyone who ever wanted to be a writer as their career and hasnt published anything is pretty much an English DT/IT. ESOL is more marketable you can pretty much go to any country and find ET work. In IE the market for ESOL ITs and Literature ITs is about equal, some years one is more in demand than the other. You find fewer ESOL ITs in elite tier ISs, but every IS has literature ITs. Literature ITs have more traditional delivery and scheduling, whereas an ESOL ITs schedule may function as a SPED/SEN/LS/LD classroom with either resource or inclusion styles of delivery.
Its not much of an issue, DC, FL, HI and TX allow you to add additional areas by completing the appropriate exam. CA requires an exam and a 3 credit meds/peds course, NJ allows those who hold a standard certificate to add endorsements by examination.

Those states (and others that allow examination endorsements) just require you to pass the appropriate exam (IE. Science) regardless of your degree.
You would have to have a NJ standard credential to add science by examination, and you have to have classroom experience (2 years) in addition to the other requirements (including completing an EPP/ITT program)

In IE you need an all grades or all secondary credential in the subject area to be marketable.

NJ doesnt have a middle years ''General Science'' credential they are all subject specific (physics, chemistry, biology) they do have an earth science credential thats all grade levels.
FL has a middle years General Science (grades 5-9).
TX has a science composite (all sciences) that is all secondary (grades 7-12). There is a generalist/core subject (grades 4-8) that includes science.
CA has a Foundational General Science credential, but it only permits you to teach general science as an actual course, its not a composite credential of all sciences (though outside CA an IS is unlikely to know the difference, and would probably accept it). There is also a Geo Science all grades (K-12) credential.
DC has a General Science (grades 7-12) credential and a Middle Years Science (grades 4-8). There is no Earth Science credential.
HI has a Science (grades 6-8) and Science (6-12) and earth science (grades 6-12) and marine science (grades 6-12) credentials (HI is the only state with a specific credential in Marine Science, which is cool since your credentialed to play with dolphins or sharks depending if your an IT or leadership, sharks dont attack admin/managers, professional courtesy as I understand it, something to do with a great white shark and a harpoon incident).
BocaNY

Post by BocaNY »

@PsyGuy

Wow! That's a lot of info. Am actually currently in SEA teaching but can go back to the States during the summer break. Luckily for me I have family in all those states expect HI & DC. Sounds like Texas , DC or FL would be best for me. I am leaning towards FL since both of my universities are in South FL.

Thank you for all your help. I need to digest everything and hopefully I won't have anymore questions. :)
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Fight on, burrowing owls!!!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@BocaNY

With an initial cert from NYS you wouldnt need to go to HI, the reason HI is an option is that its the easiest state to apply overseas for. If your seeking certification in your academic degree area, there are no tests to take (you can demonstrate all requirements with a transcript). There are no fingerprints or CRB to submit. There is no fee until your approved and you can see what HI certificate you are awarded. The process is an application and a transcript. Even counting the time it takes to address, stamp and mail the application its something you can do from start to finish over your lunch break, and that gets you a 3 year initial credential. Demonstrate 3 years of successful work experience and you are eligible for the 5 year standard credential. With a Masters and 5 years of experience you qualify for the advance license.
Its my recommendation when an IT realizes their credential is about to expire and they cant get enough PD together or their renewal is denied because the regulatory authority in their state doesnt accept their PD.

D.C. is better than FL on metrics, simply because you can add certification areas to your credential through the PRAXIS which is offered globally, as opposed to FL which requires the FTCE.

Regardless of which pathway certification you decide, after you have two years experience you are going to want to transition your license to the CA CLEAR credential, which in addition to typical credentialing requirements you need a Masters, an ESOL certification, and the two years experience. Once you have a CA CLEAR credential you dont need to do PD anymore.