Kyoto, Japan

USA_Teacher37

Kyoto, Japan

Post by USA_Teacher37 »

*edited to comply with ISR "terms of use"

I will try again since @PsyGuy and administrators don't want posts asking specifically about schools.

Does anyone have information on teaching in Kyoto, Japan?

Opinions on what is considered a good salary for this part of Japan? Would 300,00 Yen per person for a teaching couple (600,000 Yen total) be adequate? Housing is provided by the school (utilities not included).
Last edited by USA_Teacher37 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Moderation

Post by PsyGuy »

@USA_Teacher37

Review and evaluation type material is prohibited in the open forum. The members only form is the best place to post your inquiry.
Rhysboy

Re: Kyoto, Japan

Post by Rhysboy »

To be honest, 6,00,000 for a teaching couple is not that great (even with housing thrown in).
Just for comparison, unqualified English teachers can make around 250,000 a month in Japan.
Depending on your experience, I'd be pushing for at least 400,000 a month each.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi:

It would be adequate to have a nice little life (especially if it is just you two and you do not have significant bills back in your home country). As has been posted, it is not a great salary for Japan but two can live almost as cheaply as one (to some extent). If you are both certified and experienced teachers I would try and get a little more. If that is not possible then you just have to decide how badly you want to live and work in Japan (Japan is awesome btw).
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Teachers at the two main IB schools in Kansai earn around that much money just for themselves.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with the previous posters. The mean ET salary is ¥250K, ¥300K is near the high end of ET. What else does the OSH package include such as flights, transportation, insurance, etc. How much is the housing allowance, Kyoto is pricey even compared to Tokyo. For 2 people and a 1LDK your looking at ¥100K/month. add another ¥20K for utilities and ¥20K for 2 mobile smart phone data subscriptions. Another ¥5K for high-speed internet. If the housing allowance is generous you may find a property owner that eill combine utilities and at least internet into your rent payment which would be nice.

How badly do you want to live in Japan, and Kyoto? A lot of ITs and ETs would love to be in Kyoto regardless of the coin.