Teaching TOK

rake

Teaching TOK

Post by rake »

Long time, first time. I am an experienced IT, but without IB experience (which I would like). I have a potential opportunity to teach TOK, in addition to normal courses in my subject area, but no others in the Diploma Program. How would subsequent schools/admin view this IB experience? Would I be at a disadvantage applying for an IBDP position in my subject area only having taught TOK and not SL/HL Subject?
National

Re: Teaching TOK

Post by National »

Having TOK on your resume will not help with landing a subject-area IB position. It will give your resume a boost, but it really depends on what a school needs. TOK is not enough for a full-time load so you'd be hired for the other position with TOK being a bonus you bring to the table. I would recommend taking the TOK for now and seeing if you can work your way into an IB-DP position in your subject area in the next year or two.
sid

Post by sid »

What he said.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @national in part. IB is IB to a certain extent. While you wont have IB assessment scores in your content area, you will still have classroom experience in your content area, not everyone can teach DIP. However, DIP experience in an assessed content area is the gold standard.

TOK experience and qualification is very difficult to come by, its a niche field, there is no regulatory certification or qualification in the area (its essentially an epistemology/philosophy course), but every DIP program needs it and experience as one is the only way to get it. It is uncommon for TOK to be a full course load, but its not uncommon for a TOK teacher to move into CAS, and/or a coordinator role.
sitka

Post by sitka »

In terms of competitiveness, it places you into an awkward place that is a little bit better than having no experience but much less helpful than having actual IB experience in your subject area.