Sign now or wait?

Yo Teach'

Sign now or wait?

Post by Yo Teach' »

Last edited by Yo Teach' on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sciteach

Re: Sign now or wait?

Post by sciteach »

It's really up to you. If it's a good school and your happy with the job - then I'd seriously consider it. Many of the better schools are starting to employ heavily before the job fairs so they get the best of who is available.

On waiting for a fair - it really depends on the fair. I've attended a major fair and was a bit underwhelmed as it was very much a meat market. For myself personally - I prefer trying to get employed before the job fair and use the fair as a backup in case I don't get what I want....
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Just saying...
interteach

Post by interteach »

The purpose of the hiring process is to get hired. If you like the school that's made an offer, then take it.

Job fairs aren't really all that fun, and if you already have a job offer that's a good fit for you there are much better ways to blow your cash. Save your money and use it for something that will make your life more enjoyable in your new location.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I know our school tries to offer positions in high need areas prior to the fair as much as possible. They interview multiple candidates for these positions. There end up being a lot more moving pieces for schools during fairs that mean even the school's first choice candidates may lose out to couples being hired later who are good enough. I'm think if you'r happy with the offer, then you should take it. As you work in the international school circuit for a time, you may end of making contacts, so you get hired prior to fairs in the future. People I know consider that a good thing.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

If you weren't enthusiastic about the school or the package and were just settling, I would say go to Boston. But it sounds like it's just what you wanted, and you're soooo-ooooo lucky your first time out! Sign it, relax, and be happy. There will be plenty of job fairs in your future.