What is your "DREAM" job ???

HoraceMann

What is your "DREAM" job ???

Post by HoraceMann »

Hi All,

With fair season fast approaching I thought it might be fun to find out what others see as their "DREAM" job and why?
I am a SPED/SEN guy at heart. That said, I am also a Social Studies fan with a huge interest in Geography (but much more experience in Gov/Econ).
My dream jobs would be in a school that truly embraces special needs, a school that is not just "talking the talk". I love creating programs (I've just had a hand in putting a true SPED program in place at my current school). I would love to be in a place to teach geography from a cultural/sociological perspective. Might work in an IB program, but I have no IB experience and it is proving difficult to get. Again, a lot of this is simply a dream. Although I have tried to keep a foot in the Social Studies/regular education world, I am more in demand in SPED/Learning Support. I am also now on the wrong side of 50 and will be needing to take that into consideration while dreaming. I will have to be going to Latin America or some other regions soon as I will not be able to work in Asia or the Middle East too much longer due to my age.
So I guess my "dream" job might include a combination of SPED and Social Studies with a road to admin. eventually.

What are the rest of you looking/hoping for.

HM
Last edited by HoraceMann on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curiousme

Re: What is your "DREAM" job ???

Post by curiousme »

A place where I'm trusted, where initiatives are planned with a clear timeline for implementation and evaluation, and where I can diversify year on year and be continually creative. With sun.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

My dream job would be on the other side of the coin...I would love to be a career student. Just go to school while accumulating various BS, BA, MA, Doctoral degrees, and get paid for it. As for a realistic dream job...a high paying, laid back, well established school with great admin in a sunny tropical seaside environment.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

A school where the admin respects teachers' voices, good PD, motivated students, collaborative culture, low taxes, inexpensive housing, high quality and school-paid medicare, local employment opportunities for teachers' spouses, annual flights, vibrant local culture, decent travel opportunities, and of course, sunshine with less humidity.
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

Thank you all so much for the responses.

fine dude,
I also am looking for the place where admin truly takes into account the voice of teachers. Oddly enough, PD is also a sore issue where I am presently. I am the chairman of the PD committee. I asked to be switched to another committee this year because our whole committee felt as if we had become little more than the group that collected staff requests for PD funds. I was talked into staying on in the position. unfortunately, the situation seems to have actually gotten worse this year.
I guess another part of my dream would be to find a school where people stayed long term. My wife and I are really longing for a sense of community. I understand the transient nature of international education, but it would be great to be in a good school where people stayed for more than one contract.

buffalofan, I too long for the opportunity to continue to grow as both a student and educator. I am fifty now and have been quite fond of telling my students that always say, "I cannot wait to be finished with school", that I have been a "student" for 27 years of my life so far.Hang in there it CAN be done. I've gotten two Master's degrees after the age of forty. I am trying to find a way to get my Doctorate next (isn't dreaming great :)

curiousme, I have felt the "initiative" sting more times than I care to count. It is very disheartening to get really excited, to totally buy-in to a new initiative, one that will clearly be a benefit to everyone, to find it fall to the wayside due to some "unforeseen" occurrence. If initiatives were well thought out, well planned, and undertaken for the right reasons, things would be so much better. It is unfortunate that so many initiatives that our leaders implement are carried out seemingly to build a resume. Harry Truman once said, "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit". Wouldn't it be great if everyone ascribed to this credo? Wouldn't it be great to realize the dream of working at such a place? Who would ever leave? It is becoming increasingly evident that once people land jobs in these places, they stay. I WANT this.

Do our dream jobs exist? I am an eternal optimist. I feel that they do, we simply must continue to search for them and to try to affect positive change as much as possible.When the time comes we will end up where we belong.

Please keep the thoughtful responses coming.

HM