Changes for a non-native English ESL teacher

REmmerink

Changes for a non-native English ESL teacher

Post by REmmerink »

Hej all,

I am posting this question on behalf of colleague of mine.

She is a non-native English ESL teacher (she is a latino) with a couple of years experience in the US (as a homeroom and English teacher). She has two MEd's (one in educational leadership and one of which I forgot the name).

Lately, we have been discussing her options of going abroad, but she says that her options are rather slim due to the fact that she is not a native speaker. I however disagree, since she is a highly value asset at my current school, she has a decent educational background and +10 years experience.

I am wondering who is right in this matter.. Anyone any leads?
curiousme

Re: Changes for a non-native English ESL teacher

Post by curiousme »

I doubt she'd be so limited as to not find a position. The British Council employs non-native speakers, as do many unis (including ME) so I'd say that information is totally incorrect.
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

My wife is in a similar position. There is NO WAY for her to work in China as the laws became much more restrictive as of September 2013. I wish her luck.
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Thanks for the answers!

Seems that her changes are not that slim after all. Is there a huge demand for ESL teachers by the way? Even if they are not native English themselves?

And what about International Schools in the Middle East? Do they have the same demand as the universities as implied above?

And what happened in China?

Thanks again!
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

My sister-in-law is not a native English speaker and works for a university in Abu Dhabi. Previously, she worked in Qatar. I can't speak for international schools - only language schools and unis.