GEMS Singapore

Bellarex

GEMS Singapore

Post by Bellarex »

I know it's said to avoid startups, but GEMS is an established system, right? Does that change the advice to avoid?

Also, salaries are 70k+ with housing covered for 4 years and a BA, but teaching couples' with 2 dependents is listed at 30k. Surely it isn't THAT expensive to live in Singapore..??
National

Post by National »

Cost of living in Singapore, as in all places, depends on how you choose to live. Having two kids would significantly increase the cost. Most people with kids have "helpers" which run over S$1000/month (when all costs are included, not just pay). Busing to school and extra activities are not cheap in Singapore. Eating out is wickedly expensive unless you stick to hawker stalls and eating houses (which are decent options if you aren't looking for the fine dining experience). Groceries are quite a bit more than any other place I've lived, but again, on the salary you listed it is manageable.

One thing to be careful of -- on SA it lists the pay in USD, but a lot of Singapore schools are actually reporting the Singapore dollar salary (which is about 20% lower when converted into USD). You do pay Singapore taxes, but those aren't outrageous. Housing covered is a big expense taken care of, so that is nice.

A family of four saving $30,000 sounds about right, if not generous.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Is GEMS Singapore only advertised through Search at the moment? I really want to apply, but am not with them (nor am I going to be after I fell out with my associate!).
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Positions aren't advertised on the GEMS teaching application portal yet. I applied through Search...
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Bellarex,

Yes, Singapore is that expensive particularly in housing.

As you pursue this opening, you want to better understand the housing benefit. Most schools in Singapore provide a housing allowance that may or may not cover the cost of rental let alone utilities. The GEMS school may not provide additional housing allowance for children which would factor into your ability to save.

Other things to consider is whether the school covers all of the children's tuition or only partial, whether the school covers all of the insurance premium or not, and there are the Singapore taxes to consider. These all potentially can reduce the potential savings even though a teaching couple could make 140K.

Just a few ideas for you to consider.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Nomads"]Bellarex,

Yes, Singapore is that expensive particularly in housing.

As you pursue this opening, you want to better understand the housing benefit. Most schools in Singapore provide a housing allowance that may or may not cover the cost of rental let alone utilities. The GEMS school may not provide additional housing allowance for children which would factor into your ability to save.

Other things to consider is whether the school covers all of the children's tuition or only partial, whether the school covers all of the insurance premium or not, and there are the Singapore taxes to consider. These all potentially can reduce the potential savings even though a teaching couple could make 140K.

I'd have to agree Singapore is a but pricey. However I would certainly live there! It has all comforts of home and public transportation is a no brainier.
Yo Teach'

Re: GEMS Singapore

Post by Yo Teach' »

Last edited by Yo Teach' on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

It hasn't been opened for a couple of years, it's been opened for a couple of months (since September 14).

Haven't heard much from them here in Singapore since last school year where they were popping up everywhere around the island plugging their school for their September intake. We only lost one student to them.
Yo Teach'

Post by Yo Teach' »