Savings potential ISKL

Cheery Littlebottom

Savings potential ISKL

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Someone mentioned the savings potential at SAS in a recent post. I have a similar enquiry about ISKL.
$3,000 for a teaching couple? Is this a typo or have circumstances on the ground changed so radically?
jesatlarge

Post by jesatlarge »

If you mean ISKL in Malaysia, it must be a typo. I work there now. It all depends on your lifestyle, but an experienced teacher with a masters degree plus can make apprx 9,000USD per month. That is NOT a typo. Of course this is taxed (about 20%) and there is rent to pay (one to two thousand $US per month). And the lucrative school paid savings might be another 17,000 USD per year on top of all this. Do the math.

The above is for a single teacher and couples don't get double this deal ( because a teaching couple can have exactly the same housing allowance as a single teacher with a dependent). Even some singles can save 5,000 a month, so for a couple it must be quite easy indeed.

BTW, I have friends who are teaching at SAS (Shanghai) and I've seen that package as well. It's very strong. But ISKL's is better and KL is lots cheaper than Shanghai.
Cheery Littlebottom

Hi jesatlarge
Actually, I have friends there too, and it is probably top of my list of "schools I'd like to go to!" I just felt a bit embarrassed about asking them about money - must be my upbringing!
We're pretty strong candidates, but obviously it depends on the openings.
Yes, I did do some maths, and also checked out housing options, so maybe $3,000 is per month, not the usual total per year.
I am particularly interested in the Next Frontier Inclusion initiative which is gradually spreading across the IS community. Also, my best mate here knows Norma well and says how inspiring she is to work for.
All in all, hope to be joining you at some point! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post.
Regards
Cheery XX
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Cheery Littlebottom"]Hi jesatlarge
Actually, I have friends there too, and it is probably top of my list of "schools I'd like to go to!" I just felt a bit embarrassed about asking them about money - must be my upbringing!
We're pretty strong candidates, but obviously it depends on the openings.
Yes, I did do some maths, and also checked out housing options, so maybe $3,000 is per month, not the usual total per year.
I am particularly interested in the Next Frontier Inclusion initiative which is gradually spreading across the IS community. Also, my best mate here knows Norma well and says how inspiring she is to work for.
All in all, hope to be joining you at some point! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post.
Regards
Cheery XX[/quote]
----------------------------

I'd be really interested to hear first hand accounts about how the Next Frontier initiative is making a real and significant difference to the students at the member schools. I know first hand from like 2 years ago that the vast majority of those schools only accepted students in the "mild" range. There may have been one or two students that went beyond that but even the schools would have admitted that their admission was a mistake or that the child started there so young that the school felt some ownership for them.

My understanding was (and still is unless someone can clarify) is that there are only a handful of schools around the world that are accepting student with significant differences and actually doing real inclusion (e.g. ISBrussels, IS Geneva, ESF HK, etc). I'd love to hear otherwise from someone with boots on the ground though.
Cheery Littlebottom

Hi Wrldtrvlr123
I would be interested too. I think we can add AIS Johannesburg to the list.
I think the truth of the matter is that most, if not all IS's are already educating mild conditions (ADHD, ADD, Spectrum and other disorders) quite successfully.
Many schools have ESL and "learning support" staff and learning difficulties are addressed. However, I think that it is a question of whether we are being overt or covert about it. In North America/UK/Europe, the educational establishment is open about testing and establishing plans for kids who need learning help, but in many cultures it's a huge no-no.
In my school we have a LOT of kids with the usual run of problems. It has been addressed by having lots of training in differentiation, and (at long last) we are getting smaller class sizes. But even suggest to a parent that their kid has ADHD or Aspergers or Tourettes or whatever and you're in a world of pain.
I am not sure how much effect the Inclusion initiative will have on such entrenched attitudes.
The other thing is that if you overtly address learning issues, then parents from the areas listed above may expect the letter of the law in terms of their home country legal requirements on learning disabled kids. This is naturally of great concern as it opens a substantial can of worms.
I have to say that if you consider what many good IS's have going for them: Great staff, great resources, and smaller class sizes, then if we can't cater to the mild-moderate issues then who can? I'd rather be doing it at an IS, than back home in the US with 35 kids in my class and no resources! LOL
Would love to hear other views.
If anyone is out there and hasn't come across this, check it out at
http://www.nextfrontierinclusion.org/
Naturally, the names Bill and Ochan Powell are all over it!
Best
Cheery XXX
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote]And the lucrative school paid savings might be another 17,000 USD per year on top of all this. [/quote]

Can you explain what this means?

So from my calculations with those q's can save about 5k a month. 9k-20%-1k rent - food/entertainment

What is this school paid savings?
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

[quote="jesatlarge"] BTW, I have friends who are teaching at SAS (Shanghai) and I've seen that package as well. It's very strong. But ISKL's is better and KL is lots cheaper than Shanghai.[/quote]

Very interesting. People I've spoken with consider ISKL to be the weakest of the IASIS schools. Maybe it's not true after all.

Personally though, I would prefer the weather/environment of KL over Shanghai. Also, KL is the undisputed heavyweight champion of travel hubs in Asia. Prices for flights out of/into Shanghai truly suck balls.
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

It's a typo. An average teacher makes around 4500-5500 a month (before taxes), you are taxed at a rate around 22-27% but the school does give you a tax allowance (around 10% I believe). Rents have been rising and generally around 1000-1500/month.

You also get the nice 17% contribution for retirement by the school which is in a fund and given to you in cash after you leave.

KL is rather expensive to live (not Singapore prices but still quite high), especially alcohol. Food is moderately priced.

You pretty much need a car if you live there so factor that into savings.
jesatlarge

Post by jesatlarge »

No typos in my above post. Last school year I had to get a notarized letter from the school about my earnings for a financial transaction at home. Almost 28,000RM a month all in including salary, tax allowance and housing allowance (which are paid and taxed exactly the same as salary). At current exchange rates just a tad less than $9,000. This was all taxed at a blended rate of 20.2%. Untaxed and added to this was the school's contribution to retirement of about $17,000. Lots of teaching experience and lots of education but not the top of the scale by any means.

KL is a very good place to live, if a boring place to visit. The cost of living is quite reasonable by Asian big city standards, but not cheap outside of street food and hired help. The school is a good one and overall a fun place to work and Air Asia is indeed a modern marvel. ISKL used to financially be the weak sister of the IASAS schools, but since revamping the package in 2009, and with the strengthening of the ringgit, it is now quite likely the best, especially when compared to the cost of living in some rival cities like Singapore and Taipei. Most teachers do have cars but many don't. It does take a few bucks to set yourself up in KL, but ISKL is certainly a school that should be on your teaching radar.