Chadwick International School, South Korea, Any info?

PsychBean

Chadwick International School, South Korea, Any info?

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

I would like to know if anyone has any first hand experience with this school?

Thank you!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

We interviewed with them. We weren't offered positions, but I know a few people who have worked there, so I have a bit information. What were you looking to know?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="sevarem"]We interviewed with them. We weren't offered positions, but I know a few people who have worked there, so I have a bit information. What were you looking to know?[/quote]

Just curious about the school, what it is like? The culture, what it is like with kids that attend the school, % of Americans and/or other nationalities that attend the school? Is there bullying? What are the school work hours? Just all the info one would want to know when looking for a good school to work for and brink kids to. Someone told me of this school but didn't know too much info.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Well, the people we knew really enjoyed working there and stayed for a few years. They helped open the school in 2010, so everything was new, very high tech, and shiny, and they were pretty impressed by the money and effort that went into the school. The kids are generally nice, polite, hard working, and all Korean.

They were extremely impressed with their high tech, shiny apartments in the new economic zone of Songdo (I think it's Songdo). The whole city is a new, planned city, which they thought was pretty fun, but there wasn't a lot to do.

They worked long hours, but seemed to love their jobs and were happy to be there.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks. Is this a fairly competitive school in this area, or are there other schools? Is this a desired school in SK? Or just one of the International Schools?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No, they are a lower tier school. Somewhere between 2nd and third tier. The truly competitive schools are Korea International School and Seoul Foreign School. Dulwich would get the British school endorsement.
Walter

It's so hard

Post by Walter »

To ignore Dave the Blurt isn't it?
Chadwick is by no means a Tier 2/Tier 3 school. Dave has never been there and clearly knows nothing about it (or the other schools he talks of).
In recent years, the Korean government became concerned about the diaspora of Korean children living abroad to learn English and thus enhance their career prospects. Not only did this have risks for the future of the country with many talented Korean children making their lives elsewhere, it was also causing social concerns with mother and children in another country and father continuing his working life at home but living his life as a bachelor,
To encourage families to keep their children in country, the government approached reputable private schools to set up campuses in Korea. The inducement to do so came in the form of massive subsidies. So you have Dulwich College, Dwight School and Chadwick School in Seoul and Branksome Hall and North London Collegiate on Jeju Island. The facilities are superb, the programs are well resourced and the faculty packages are competitive. The parent schools are all reputable and responsible and would have no interest in tarnishing their names by fostering Tier 2/3 outposts.
However, these are schools for local children and the international kids are almost always from teacher families. That may change a little in the future. It's likely that the UN will open a base in Seoul and that will encourage more foreign families to settle there. (What's the nationality of the UN DG?)
If Korea interests you, you can be fairly confident that you will be well treated at Chadwick. It's still suffering growing pains, as you would expect in a new school, but it's on an upward track.
inman

Post by inman »

What are the rules regarding Koreans studying in international schools in Korea now then? Are there any restrictions? I heard that there used to be some rule about only being allowed to study in an int'l school if they'd already lived overseas for a few years, but then I saw some schools having almost all Korean students. Any up to date info on this? (Sorry for going a bit off topic PsychBean but hopefully the info will be useful to you too).

Regarding other schools, I looked at Korea a lot over the last year and will likely do so again within the next year or so. The school I found most appealing was Seoul Foreign School which seems very well established but prefer Christians, which rules me out. The other schools I found interesting were all new(ish) or seemingly on the up, hence my decision to wait for another year or so and see how they go. I think the Dwight school, Busan Int'l Foreign School and the new ones in Jeju are worth keeping an eye on. Personally I want to stay IB so the first 2 of those are more appealing.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

I too am interested in Korea, as well as wanting to stay within IB. I also currently see it as a no go because of the strong Christian presence in the IS market.

Hope things change as it looks a very interesting country and the food looks great :)
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks Walter Inman and mr cake. Your posts were appreciated. I just ignore the other stuff. Walter Chadwick isn't in Seoul it's in songdo and from the info I've received from a friend going there the non Korean kids are mostly employees kids as you've stated.

I've spoken to a few going to SK, but no one seems to speak on turmoil between NK and SK.....

Thanks for info guys! It is much appreciated!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, it is a tier 2/3 school. Facilities are NOT an indicator of quality. Many of the WORST schools in the world have very nice facilities.

Its (and the others) are bilingual schools for local students. The cause for the wider then usual range in assessing the schools quality is that SK has a very narrow difference between ISs and Bilingual schools, so while these schools offer packages competitive with other tier two schools, they otherwise third tier bilingual schools for locals. They are academic ESOL programs. They are still not competitive with 1st tier and elite schools.

Being new is not an excuse, performance and quality matter, making excuses for them does not. These schools arent that new, they have a couple years on them, plenty of time to work out issues. Only admins foster the perception that a school needs half a decade to be comfortable with their general operations.
Walter

Seoul/Incheon/Songdo

Post by Walter »

Hi Psychbean:

I used Seoul in the sense of the Greater Seoul conurbation, and although Chadwick is in Songdo it's probably less confusing to refer to its location as Seoul.

Mr Cake: The schools I mentioned (Dulwich, Dwight, Chadwick, Branksome Hall and North London Collegiate) don't have the religious affiliations of the others in Korea - Seoul Foreign and KIS among them.

Dave, it's hard to argue with your blurts. Suffice to say that anyone who thinks that you can get a new school in prime order within a matter of three or four years has no idea of running a school. As for your notion that, because these are schools catering to mainly local kids with second language English skills they are de facto Tier 2/3, that's just more nonsense. Working on that premise, all of the South and Central American schools are Tier 2/3 as well. Since you have only ever worked in Tier 2/3 schools yourself, you really should know better.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No you mean YOU cant do it in 3-4 years. Many schools can and do get up to speed in 1-2 years. You emplace competent administration, implement fair policies, hire caring and knowledgeable teachers, and resources your classrooms while forming a collaborative relationship between students, parents, teachers, administration and ownership.

No it doesnt include all the schools in SCA. When the academic curriculum is a vehicle for language acquisition, that makes it a bilingual school. and those schools are vastly and generally low tier schools. Regardless of where those schools are located.

International schools have INTERNATIONAL student bodies, they are otherwise private independent schools. Saying you are an international school requires you to have a significant international population. Otherwise its just marketing.
Walter

Lots of jaw here

Post by Walter »

1) Okay Dave, You state: "Many schools can and do get up to speed in 1-2 years." Name them. Don't be afraid. Put your money where your mouth is.
2) List the schools in South and Central America that have an international, native-English-speaking population. There aren't any. They all teach students who are, by and large, speaking English as a second language.
3) "International schools have INTERNATIONAL student bodies." Surprisingly for you, this is an interesting point and one about which others may have an opinion. I've read many essays and theses on this very subject, and of course there is no conclusive view. What are the essential components that make up international schools?
i. An international student population is certainly one
ii. An international teaching force is another
iii. An international curriculum is another
iv. An international mission is the fourth
The question is whether you have to have all four in order to score a bull's eye. Or whether any one of these is a sina qua non?
If I were to look at one of those Korean schools I mentioned, it would be easy to contend that they fit criteria ii, ii and iv. Most if not all schools in South and Central America meet iii and iv, but they all have huge numbers of local students (and students from just over their borders) and large numbers of local hire teachers - whom they pay on a differential scale. Many schools in the Middle East fail i and only partially meet ii, ii and iv. Likewise many of those so-called international schools in Thailand where you worked for a few months. And what about those new, for-profit schools in China that are heavily dominated by Korean student populations and often taught by imported Filipinos. Are they "international"
Complicated isn't it, Dave?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Walter

How about you do your own research. What do you need 5 years/half a decade to do? Assuming we exclude the schools private research single malt scotch and the 60 month artisinal cheese, what do you need 5 years to do?

QSI though does the job in a year. They are the Walwart of IE. Need a school in Thailand for 30 kids, they do it overnight. Unless your argument is that QSI isnt an IS?

There arent any??? Sampson Elementary/High School. Its in Cuba. The vast majority of the student population are native English speakers.

Your list is lax, and you conveniently left out two generally accepted factors that define an IS and include:

1) A western and international administration and ownership. You can hire all the white western faces you want, and if you run and manage the school as a local would, your going to ahve a local school not an international school.

2) An international community. Education and school doesnt end when the final bell of the day rings.

Conveniently you neglected these factors since the schools you advocated are lacking in these criteria.

No its not complicated. The defining characteristic that differentiates a Bilingual school from an international school is: The academic program a delivery channel for language acquisition. In bilingual (and your schools) that answer is yes. In true international schools the medium of instruction is English, meaning its the langue used to deliver the curriculum, not a wrapping for learning the English language.
This characteristic is the necessary and sufficient criteria before even discussing the 6 characteristics that define an international school.