Newton International School Doha

aj121

Newton International School Doha

Post by aj121 »

Can any one give me any info on this school? I have had an interview for a teaching post there.

Looking at their website they have numerous campuses, I asked which school it was for and apparently it was a new school being built.

Has anyone worked in any of the Newton Groups Schools in Doha?

Cheers.
aj121

Post by aj121 »

Any one with any info on this group of schools please?

I have been offered a job at their new campus.

Or any info on teaching in Doha at all?
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I have first hand experience of Doha. What can I say? I am a little jaundiced with the place to say the least. From what I can gather, Newton ain't great but is getting better. I know a few parents there but no teachers. The parents I know put their kids there cos they couldn't get them into Qatar Academy or ASD, but have been cautiously pleased.
You won't be be getting top dollar at that school, but you should do ok. Aside from the headline grabbing stuff, if you stay within the rails Doha is a very safe place (excepting the traffic.) You'll get a decent place to live and if you don't blow your dosh in the hotels you can save quite a bit.
The paperwork at first will seem mad, and don't freak when they take your passport - you will get it back! Although the Qataris bend the rules all the time, there ARE rules there, so the formalities will be arduous but do-able. It is not a cheap place to live, but if you shop and cook for yourself you can do just fine.
Here's the thing though....can you live with the dichotomy? Take your salary, keep your head down, enjoy the many things to do in Doha and ignore the reality. The slave labour, the appalling attitude of many (NOT ALL) of the Qataris, the underlying sexism, the medieval religion.....the whole shallow, fake edifice that is the Gulf.
Well, the answer is, many people can and do live with it. We don't say "grin and bear it" we say "grin and bank it."
Oh gawd, I could go on all night. I don't have to put up with it for much longer...it's been good for us, but I am glad to be going........
Sorry, end of sermon.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Principal of Newton International School Lagoon is leaving and going to Mongolia (although the website hasn't been updated yet).

She was formally Principal of Newton D Ring School, which now doesn't have a message from the principal on the website, only a welcoming message from the Senior Management team - have they replaced her there yet? I don't know.

Another member of staff I know there is also leaving and going to Mongolia.
aj121

Post by aj121 »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna go for it, there seems to be good and bad stories coming out of almost all Gulf state schools so I think its just a case of making the jump.
aj121

Post by aj121 »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna go for it, there seems to be good and bad stories coming out of almost all Gulf state schools so I think its just a case of making the jump.