School in Jakarta

Max007

School in Jakarta

Post by Max007 »

Anyone have any experience with this school?
Last edited by Max007 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I turned down an offer for them a few years ago. Salary was too low, housing allowance was a joke, and the school did not do IB.

There are a few threads on this school -- do a search and you should find some more info.
Max007

Post by Max007 »

Hey durianfan, thanks a lot for the reply. I was wondering what was the pay they offered, and yes I believe housing is shared and no dental. It was around 3000 total a month that they offered after taxes. I was wondering if you had any insight into the workload, or community of the school?

Thanks again, just want to cover all options. Most of my offers seem to be around the same ball park so the atmosphere of the school is pretty important for me. I have a week to decide where to go.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Which campus are you considering? I'd be wary of the west Jakarta campuses (Jakarta Barat), it is a cultural waste land, although does have the highest concentration of IS.

I'm just finishing a two year stretch in Jakarta Barat and have fortunately been released on parole for good behaviour!

This is the third capital city in SE Asia I've lived and worked in and I couldn't recommend anything about this city. I will however be taking with me kilos of a particular brand of local coffee, which I absolutely love, but try and find a good coffee on the street and you will be sadly disappointed. Locals sit on the kerb drinking sachets of instant from plastic cups.

Apart from the coffee, it's just two IB experience that I'll be leaving with, nothing more...
Max007

Post by Max007 »

Hey Mr Cake. I am not sure, they will assign a campus at a later time. I know they have two in Jakarta, and then ones in malang, bandung, and semarang. It seems many people do not enjoy living or working in Jakarta. However, I am happy that you got some great coffee out of it, I am a huge coffee drinker myself. Good coffee in Asia was a hard find.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

They offered me $31,000 per year. Tax was very low, I think. Housing offered was terrible - the allowance was not really enough to find a decent place. The campus was in northern Jakarta. I emailed a friend of mine who lives in Jakarta and told me that the area is an absolute hellhole and away from the center. The recruiters seemed very nice - I would have no problem working for them but I just couldn't bring my wife with me to live in Jakarta. That, plus the low salary and no IB is what caused me to pass.
Max007

Post by Max007 »

[quote="durianfan"]They offered me $31,000 per year. Tax was very low, I think. Housing offered was terrible - the allowance was not really enough to find a decent place. The campus was in northern Jakarta. I emailed a friend of mine who lives in Jakarta and told me that the area is an absolute hellhole and away from the center. The recruiters seemed very nice - I would have no problem working for them but I just couldn't bring my wife with me to live in Jakarta. That, plus the low salary and no IB is what caused me to pass.[/quote]

Thank's a lot. That is a big concern of mine as well. I don't think the Mrs will want to live in Jakarta, and the housing/ benefits certainly put me off a bit.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

I lived in Jakarta for two years in the 90s. Why traffic was a nightmare, I didn't find it to necessarily be a "wasteland" either. My memories were one of adventure, as you really didn't know what craziness you might experience. I even joined the Jakarta Cycling Club and was able to discover parts of the city that I never would have found on my own. If you don't like chaos in your life however, its probably not a great destination.

Thanks!!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Jakarta is horrible, Id only live in Bali in Indonesia. Everything is congested and traffic takes for ever.

The schools salary scale and housing are poverty level, $1300 is pretty much ELL money. The admin team has a pretty big ego, they like to think they are running a better school then they are. The kids are pretty good though, they will be the highlight of your day, even if they are on the "entitled side". Most ITS do their two years and then depart for better parts of the world, and the vast majority of them leave indonesia all together. Jakarta just doesnt live up to the island dream.
The lack of IB is the last nail since without it your either dating your previous IB experience or your leaving no better then when you came in. Admins tend to give neutral references afterwords. Anyone who doesnt realize how great they seem to think they are wasnt a good fit anyway.
Max007

Post by Max007 »

Thank you everyone for the information. Was greatly appreciated.