Update on ISHCMC/ Vietnam?

emilyhurd

Update on ISHCMC/ Vietnam?

Post by emilyhurd »

Can anyone comment on current situation at Int'l School Ho Chi Minh City- particularly looking toward next year? The reviews are absolutely terrible and many of them point toward not being able to trust the administration/HR- particularly about $ reimbursement & housing. I know a ton of teachers are leaving. I read somewhere that almost all of the admin is leaving/being replaced. Is it possible that it could be an ok/neutral place with new admin to work for two years? I know we'd have to be willing to do longer contact hours and keep head low. Next year, salary is paid in local currency. Is there any way of getting around the problems of inflation/exchanging to USD? If cost of living is low and salary is good enough, we could deal with losing some $ to inflation/exchange rate. Isn't there a casual/black market way of exchanging at a higher rate? I'm not looking to break laws but would love to hear the reality of how one might be able to get around this situation. Is there anyone out there that hasn't been ripped off by ISHCMC with getting costs reimbursed by HR? We're looking for a glimmer of hope...Saigon seems like it could be a good place for our family.
Thanks for reading!
Whatnow

Post by Whatnow »

True, many teachers and all administration are leaving, which will mean a bit of chaos regardless of a "neutral administration". School will be undergoing accreditation. Black market exchange has virtually disappeared as the government seeks to keep the dong at their rate. Salaries are at one fixed exchange rate per year and therefore not protected in the event of hyperinflation. Airfare allowances are very low and cost of travelling in and out (and even around) VN is high. HR is ok about reimbursement as long as you have the proper documentation. Housing costs have increased. Read the review on Stanford American School in Singapore. If you are ok working for that IShCMC might be ok for you. But more than 50% are leaving and there are very good reasons why.
BobbyBamboo

Post by BobbyBamboo »

Simon Leslie from NIST will be the new Head. Will he be able to turn the reputation around?
emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

That does. indeed, sound grim. Thanks for the feedback.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Oh oh, friend of a friend I believe is starting there next year I believe. Was this the school that had the consistently ridiculously long line at BKK Fair?

Why such a long line if it's so iffy?
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I forgot about that line - it was ridiculous. There must have been 20 people waiting to talk to them.
ajs9791

Post by ajs9791 »

Long line based on previous reputation perhaps, also they did have a long long list of jobs available. I don't remember there being a line at the fair for this school, though I also didn't take much notice because I'd only heard bad things since Cognita took over.

Perhaps with a whole new staff who don't know how good it used to be morale will improve.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

The lines were due to the 57 openings they had/have...They only posted about half of them so as not to long like a mad house. The place is no longer, nor will ever be what is was.

Simon Leslie will be the new head but he's probably coming down here to head up COGNITA's South East Asian expansion. Makes sense for someone his age and at that stage of his career.

Very disappointing, but oh well...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

New faculty and staff isnt the solution without fixing the underlying problems. Thats the real problem and those problems arent going away (they are ownership and management issues). Bringing in a whole new staff will quickly see the same issues resurface. Human resources isnt really changeing, and a lot of direct contract issues are in that area. Even if they did change that group, it would still be the same policies.
The other issue is that with all new staff there isnt any guidance or mentoring opportunities for current staff to pass on and policy and administration is likely going to be very chaotic. Moral might start off neutral, but its going to go down very quickly. There will be far too many inconsistencies and lack of information.

There isnt anyway around the VD currency issue anymore. There are still some grey market options, but the authorities have pretty much done away with the black market exchange except for criminal enterprise, and you dont want to get involved in that.
Ive heard of success in exporting VD currency to Thailand, but its only cost effective in very large (commercial size) transactions as the margins are impractical when considering costs.

Most teachers ive talked too said they didnt get short changed/ripped off too much to make an issue out of it. Patience seems to be the key. Being meticulous about your reimbursements and being comfortable with waiting, and keeping on administration is the key. They still didnt get made whole 100% but the difference wasnt worth making issues about. What seem to be the biggest problem isnt any one thing, its the cumulative effects of being shorted consistently, and repeatedly. Its been described as the "HR tax", you either get use to the concept that your only going to get a percentage of what your supposed to, or it builds up in you into you explode.

Can you make it there, depends on you. if your really looking for IB experience and they give you an IB classroom (and you actually get it) then it would be about the same as putting in two years at any entry level school for the sake of IB experience.
Outside of that it depends a lot on your personality. Chaos can be a good thing. While everyone else is running around, if your a low profile bobble head, you keep quit, and keep the parents and students happy, your likely to be left alone to just do your classes. A far as the "HR tax" take 20% off your salary for it and if your still happy with that and wouldnt make it an issue, then ISHCMC wouldnt be too bad to lay low for two years.

The long lines were from the large number of vacancies they had.
emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

So, PsyGuy, you're estimating the "HR tax" to be around 20%- in terms of what you don't get reimbursed for (airfare, etc.)? Can anyone else comment on the accuracy of that? I have read previous threads about the infamous "HR tax," so I'm not questioning the burden of it. ISHCMC Search profile sites taxes on salary as "Max 35% depending on tax bracket." Basically, we would only be accessing 50% of the salary? That's ridiculous.
From others' comments, it sounds like people have really fond memories of the way ISHCMC used to be.