Dongguan, China

vaellteacher

Dongguan, China

Post by vaellteacher »

:?
Last edited by vaellteacher on Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Dongguan is a surprisingly nice place. You will read lots of negative stuff about it (crime, prostitution, etc…) on the internet but that is generally about some of the outlying towns in Dongguan (i.e. Changping, Chang’an, Humen). The central part of the city in Dongcheng and Nancheng are really nice. I much prefer these areas to Shenzhen, Shekou or Guangzhou.

The weather is hot and humid in the summer (May to September), pleasant in the fall and spring and surprisingly cold in the winter (December to February). The temps never really get that low but none of the homes in the area have insulation and very few have heaters. Most people heat their homes either with AC units that put out heat or small space heaters. Some of the AC units actually warm the house but the space heaters just take the edge off. So, 50 degrees may not seem that cold but when it is 50 degrees in your house it gets pretty old fast. Bring lots of warm indoor stuff. Sweat pants, sweatshirts and warm slippers. Bring warm slippers with grippy soles for your little dude. Most of the floors in this area tend to be this slippery tile that is terrible in socks or when wet. Definitely bring jackets. A thin fleece and some sort of windstopper layer are essential on some winter days. Bring a really light rain jacket shell as well.

Don’t worry about Dongguan. I’d live there if I had the chance. I’ve visited and have friends that really like it there.

What school are you going to? QSI?

Any more questions?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Name one city in China without prostitution or organized crime.

I remember some Canadian guy getting executed while at a cafe in xujiahui in Shanghai and it was all hushed up. Stinks of organized crime.

Bring your own raincoat is good advice. I found that the only raincoats available were for cycling, so were not too useful for walking.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I personally prefer Shenzhen and Guangzhou to Dongguan. I wouldnt call the city "nice", Id say its livable. It has a small town suburbs feel to it. They dont have four season, its not Singapore, but its cool for a few months around the end of december, then its warm for a few months and then its just hot. The humidity makes it feel even hotter. I would bring a light jacket, you dont need anything more really, and forget the knits.

They dont have the access and degree of imports available, so while you wont go without soap, shampoo, shaving cream etc, you really need to plan on making shoping trips, have things ordered or just make do with whats available, and that might mean going with out. A friend could not get replacement contacts, he had to have them ordered, and shipped back home and then sent EMS to him. If you wear large shoes they will be impossible to find (anything above a 10), if your a woman finding anything larger then a B cup will be next to impossible.

Dongguan definatley has a reputation and safety would be a concern of mine, mostly petty theft, but foreigners are prime targets for mugging and pick pockets. You also wont see a great many of foreigners compared to more metropolitan parts of China, their isnt really anything to see, and not a whole lot to do. Most teachers lead a pretty routine life, and travel out to the larger cities on weekends.