Advice for teaching couple?

Guero

Advice for teaching couple?

Post by Guero »

After lurking for some time, I am interested in some direct advice about transitioning into international teaching.

My wife and I are finishing our second years of certified teaching stateside. We both teach Technology related classes at the middle school level. She has a background in advertising and graphic design. I have a degree in Television/Film and we both received certifications to teach here post Bachelors. I also have one year of ESL experience in Madrid pre US teacher cert. and one year managing a hotel in Nicaragua. I am certified to teach k-8 generelist/esl and 6-12 technology.

I realize that since we both have our teaching experience in the same age group/subject (and an uncommon one no less) we are less marketable as a pair to a school. My question is what subject should I attempt to transition to next year so I can make us more appealing. I know that science and math are the big needs right now, but those are not strong points for me, and I would much prefer History, Geography, or PE.

Would a technology / History or PE couple with our teaching and international experience have a good chance at finding decent jobs? We also have two kids 3 and 6. I would like to bank 20-30k in saving s a year. We are fairly open to location with the exception of the Middle East.

Is technology /technology as crazy as it sounds? Just want to be proactive and set us up for success when we get serious about looking this coming year.

thanks
PsyGuy

Exploration

Post by PsyGuy »

Your both on the low end as far as experience goes, 2 years (and post certification experience is the only experience that counts) is the typical minimum that ISs will look at you.

Two technology positions at a school does happen once in a while, but its an uncommon occurrence. Some suggestions based on your backgrounds that i would suggest are: Business Studies, and Computers. The most helpful as far as job mobility is primary (elementary) but your already certified in that. Typically a school saves a couple of primary positions for trailing spouses when one partner has a hard to fill or high demand teaching area (like math, science, etc).

The problem with P.E. is that unless you have coaching experience in a sport, mainly football (soccer) or swimming, its not likely you will be offered a position on the basis of just being certified.
Humanities (which is social studies) doesnt have a lot of demand, and you dont have any experience teaching it, and there are a lot of available teachers each year with social studies/humanities certifications.

Your ESL and primary (elementary) certifications are the most likely ones that will have an available vacancy or a vacancy that can be made, but anything that you add that creates more flexibility and options for a school is going to increase your marketability.

You have two kids and there young, You said 3 and 6? Whos going to stay home with the youngest one? I ask because while europe isnt likely to be interested youd starve on one salary with a family of 4, and youd spend most of one salary on child care. Even on 2 salaries with a family of 4 youd be breaking even, theres no way youd save $20-30K. Most of europe has very high taxes, 35%-50%, tuition waivers are taxed bennifits and europe doesnt usually provide housing packages or a housing allowance.

I think your best bet is somewhere in Asia outside the three little tigers (Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore). Somewhere in China, Thailand, Taiwan, Cambodia, Vietnam, S. Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, etc. These countries usually include housing, have low taxes, and in the few schools that do tax the waivers, it comes out to be a minor amount. You can bank some serious coin on two salaries, and child care is cheap. A tier 2 IB school is a reasonable expectation. A tier 1 american school is an option, but unless your willing to stay there for your career, and IB school gives you more advancement options in your next school.
Guero

Post by Guero »

We are not looking to start international positions for the coming school year, but begin our search this coming year. With that being said, right now is the hiring season for schools in our area. I am trying to decide if I should persue a new job here, to make myself more marketable once we begin our search. I do have a year of highschool soccer coaching experience, and if I was to find a PE job here, it would almost certainly require coaching as well.

Our kids will be 4/7 once we moved. Our son would be old enough for Pre-k here in the states, and I had not considered private child care for the youngest. How common are schools that offer pre-k programs?

The countries you mentioned where already at the top of my list for places we are interested in exploring, living, and working in, so that is encouraging.

Does anyone have a recomendation on which fair might offer more positions for the east asian countries listed above?

Should we scrap the expense of a fair and just use email/skype. It seems alot of people are becoming more disillusioned with the cost of fairs and Skype is becoming a more common option.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

You said you were trying to decide to pursue a position locally for the fall, the alternative to doing that would be what???

It sounds like you want to do P.E. so getting coaching experience is going to be essential. 2 years might make it happen.

Pre-K or Nursery isnt very common at the big international schools. You would most likely have to find a private school (and pay for it), hire a nanny, or one of you stay home (assuming the school doesnt have a Pre K/nursery program).

The three BIG fairs or supper fairs are the January Search/ISS fair in Bangkok, the Search/ISS fair in Boston and the Search/COIS fair in London. In your case the Boston fair is going to be the best option for you. The Bangkok fair is very competitive, and the London fair is primarily for european schools and trained teachers (including experienced IB teachers).

You can do without the fairs, though a lot of people get offers at them, and many schools when dealing with the average candidate like to see what they find at the fairs first (its the opposite with prime candidates, who they like to hire before the fairs). Then again when you consider the cost of airfare, hotel and meals for the four of you (or even just two of you) your looking at $2K-$4K (depending on which fair).
Guero

Post by Guero »

The alternative to pursuing a position locally in another field would be keeping my current position as a technology teacher. Again, my wife and I teach the same subject right now, but I want to make us more competative for an international job search.
PsyGuy

BEST

Post by PsyGuy »

Really, the best thing you could do to maximize your marketability is find a local IB school, it doesnt matter what you would teach there (though based on your background, current certification, demographics, and typical demand PYP/elementary would be ideal).

When it comes to any one factor, IB teaching experience makes it or breaks it when it comes to new teacher marketability.

PYP is a "single subject" and has a lot of demand globally and in large regions like "asia". The IB PYP program is also very specialized, you cant just learn it by study. The first year for an IB PYP teacher is pretty much a learning/training year, if you can get that done, you will be in a much better position next year when applying to schools.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Discussion

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Pre-K or Nursery isnt very common at the big international schools. You would most likely have to find a private school (and pay for it), hire a nanny, or one of you stay home (assuming the school doesnt have a Pre K/nursery program).
[quote]
-------------------------------------------------------

Actually, in Beijing the big schools (and virtually all others) have Pre-K classes and some have Nursery.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Many schools in Thailand also have nursery/pre-k
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry, I didnt mean globally, I meant with the context of europe.

Aside from that though while there where nursery/Pre-K programs many of the ones in my experience were separate schools and programs.