credential/master's degree

sophiamartin

credential/master's degree

Post by sophiamartin »

Hi all,

In May 2013 I will have earned my master's in history. I was wondering whether that would qualify me to teach abroad, or if I need a teaching credential.

Thanks for any and all responses! :D
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

No a Masters in history qualifies you to..... (Sorry I cant think of anything it qualifies you to do) (:

To teach history at an international school you need a teaching credential/certificate/license. If your REALLY flexible there may be some desperate third tier schools, mostly in the middle east that may hire you. You could also teach ESL in many places overseas, but those would be outside of the international schools.
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

Thanks, PsyGuy. I was afraid of that.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

You have over a year to graduation. I dont know how intense your second year is going to be, but you have some time to do a post bachelors or alternative certification program, and get certified. Student teaching is only one semester, and most post bach programs are only about 12-18 undergrad hours. Talk to your schools education department and advisor, you might be surprised how little you have to do.

That said social studies (called humanities in IB) isnt in really high demand, and it would be difficult getting a position with virtually no experience.
fke

Post by fke »

Just like the States, there are private schools that prefer a M.A. and experience to certification. Or rather, they will hire someone without certification if they have the goods. Elementary is different. In private schools, you have to be certified for elementary nine times out of ten. I actually think the better schools are more open to high school hires without certification....again if they have experience, grad degrees and are highly desired. My former school, the best international school in the country, hired many excellent teachers (some with Phds and experience in prep schools in New York and New England) without certification.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Every job ad that I have read on search, tie and tes has stated that prospective applicants need to have valid teaching credentials. Perhaps there are some schools that hire the odd uncertified teacher if the need arises.
fke

Post by fke »

I have now worked at two schools, good international schools, that say you need certification...but if you are outstanding in other ways (familiarity with the culture, experience teaching an elite boarding school in the states, masters or phd in your subject) they will hire you. Again, like in the states, elementary is completetly different. You need certification since your certification includes classes in childhood development, piaget etc.
fke

Post by fke »

Caveat..

Some countries have visa rules where the candidate HAS to have certification.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Don't schools have problems with accredidation if they have non-certified teachers on staff?
PsyGuy

Not happening

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes schools have accreditation issues when they hire unqualified/credentialed teachers.

Yes many countries require professional teachers to be licensed/certified, and will revoke or deny visas to those who arent.

No you are not likely to be hired as a teacher because you have a masters degree. It is extremely unlikely a teacher would be able to develop sufficient experience without a teaching license or certificate.

Some 3rd tier or local private schools in undesirable regions may hire staff who are not certified. Reputable schools do not. It isnt worth their reputation, and or possible complications to hire uncertified/licensed teachers. In privately owned lower tier schools, it is not uncommon for a friend of the owner to hire someone who is not qualified for a teacher (though more likely staff) position.

I do see more often admins who dont have an administration credential in admin positions. In such cases the admin does have a teaching qualification and an advance degree.

While it does happen, it is the rare exception, and almost always the result of personal relationships.
specialed

Post by specialed »

As far as I can tell, there are basically two scenarios: The country could care less, or the country requires some proof that the person is qualified to teach the subject(s).

For those countries who care, they usually require a degree and certification, but some are okay with the degree. Even fewer are okay with just the certification.

The best thing to do would just be to ask. Most of the recruiters are happy to answer questions if you are polite. Give it a shot and report what you find out.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

How about a BA + one year B.Ed. + two years experience in an international school accredited by the Ministry of Education in the place you got your B.Ed. (where you would have worked if there had been any jobs)?

Is two years home country experience that necessary to move up the ladder?
camiguinpiper

Teaching Credentials

Post by camiguinpiper »

Sorry to highjack this post but I have a question relating to the one posed.

My husband just got a great package in South Korea and we are going to be able to pay off all our debt in the first year (not including mortgage back home, which will be paid by renters).

I have a BA in English and am interested in getting certified to teach elementary. This would probably be during the second year of the contract as we would have disposable income then. The hope is that we could then be even more competitive as a teaching couple for our second contract.

Questions: Does anyone know of programs that you can enroll in abroad that would not pose a problem if/when we return to the US (WA)? The only one I have found is College of New Jersey, which includes, summers in several international locations, online courses and student teaching, which I believe I could do at my husbands school.

We plan on returning to the US in the summer so I am looking for something online OR with classes in WA state (long shot I know) in the summer.

I know that most schools require 2 years but my husband has a masters, teaches math and will at that point have 8 years teaching experience, with two of those being at an international school. Do you think a top tier school would hire me as a concession:) ?

Curious if any trailing spouses have gone through this process while abroad.

Thanks in advance!
PsyGuy

Yeah

Post by PsyGuy »

@IAMBOG, Do you have the actual B.Ed, or just a year towards it? In some places (like Canada) a B.Ed "IS" pretty much the credential (though you still have to apply, and pay a fee, to get the teaching license).

Some people in hard to fill areas may be hired with less experience at 3rd tier schools, or schools in undesirable places. So you dont HAVE to have it, but 2 years experience is typically the minimum for the tier 2 schools. The elite schools are usually 5 years experience.

@camiguinpiper

Being a teaching couple would make you more marketable.

Your husband sounds pretty marketable, and if the school in S.Korea is an IB school he will have IB experience. A top tier school would be interested, and if they wanted him badley enough might give you a primary position, though having zero experience yourself that might be a harder sell. Many ISs keep a few primary positions available for hard to fill/high demand subjects for teaching couples.

I think your hardest issue is going to be doing student teaching or your teaching internship at an american college/university. You might want to look at a UK school and doing a distance, or online PGCSE.