Questions: Years in, Years Planned, Difficulties

bioteach73

Questions: Years in, Years Planned, Difficulties

Post by bioteach73 »

I am planning on going back into international teaching (a couple years away, unfortunately....) and was curious about a few things:

How long have you been teaching international? And how much longer do you plan/ foresee yourself doing this...until retirement?

What has been some of the greatest difficulties you've had in your career teaching internationally?

Do you find teaching internationally more or less "enjoyable", rewarding, etc than teaching in your home country?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains! :)
PsyGuy

Survey

Post by PsyGuy »

I've been an international educator for about 8 years.

I plan on doing this for the foreseeable future.

I find international teaching far more enjoyable and rewarding then teaching back in the states. I really would have a hard time going back to the states and teaching, I haven't been keeping up on the changes, new laws, curriculum, etc. I'd be lost back in a public school back in the states.

My greatest issue over the years (more so in the beginning) is the sense of really being powerless when dealing with poor admins, owners, school boards. Being in a foreign country and not having a support system makes you VERY dependent on your job. You cant usually quit and just look for a new position. The school not only provides your housing most likely but controls your visa/work permit. You basically have to think "Do i feel strongly enough about this id pack up and go back home over it, knowing I dont have a job back in the states to go to?" Leaving your job means leaving everything. Sometimes and in some places you can find another job teaching ESL or at some local private school, but even then its a big adjustment.
bioteach73

Post by bioteach73 »

Thanks Psy! I agree with your sentiments re: teaching in the US. It has made me want, and even begin, to change careers. I don't know if I can go back teaching here in the states (I've taken a couple years off to be with my son).........Thanks for your input re: difficulties teaching internationally: The issue of job INsecurity is what is keeping me from jumping feet first back into inter'l teaching. I taught 3 yrs in China and my subject is Biology.... but am now married (NTS) and have a son, so I'm knocked a bit further down the hiring ladder. And what you say about not having a job back in the states, etc really worries me....

As always, thanks for your input, you have great insight here! :)
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

I taught for 5 years at two International schools then decided to return home. I am making alot more money than I ever have at home, however life outside of work is mundane.

I am looking to return to the international circuit in 12 months. I miss the adventures.