Offer for an interview, then nothing

Dredge

Offer for an interview, then nothing

Post by Dredge »

Hello all,

I have a question, more for curiosity sake to see what you all think. I applied for a job that I found on TES. Last week I was offered an interview, but the director wanted to know if I was available to come this week, April 23 to 26, for an in-person interview. I kindly replied that I would more than gladly do an initial interview on Skype, which they said they would do in the generic "we've received your application" email, but I can't travel this week because of teaching obligations. I am starting a new unit this week and I need to be here. I mentioned that, if after the Skype interview they requested an in-person interview, I would definitely make the accomodations to be there in-person.

I again expressed my extreme interest in the job, which is totally true, and gave him a schedule of my availability. However, I have heard nothing since and that was Wednesday.

I know anything is possible, but would someone offer an interview, then not reply to inquiries about the process? Even a simple, "we're sorry, but we want all initial interviews held here", would be fine.

Penny for your thoughts, thanks.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I'm going to assume that this school is local to where you are, and doesnt require an international plane ticket to attend :)

Basically, my experience is that if a school wants you they "act" like they want you. They call, they email, they deliver documents, they make themselves available, etc. When schools and admins show a lot of interest and then give you the cold shoulder, its just there way of saying "they arent interested" without being confrontational. Its possible (always here stories) that they just got busy. Its more likely they are just moving on to other candidates, and dont want to damage the relationship in case they decide to come back to you at a later time.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

It's not local, and does require a long flight, but I would make that happen if it was not this week. Plus, they mention that they will do Skype interviews for the first interview. I am guessing you (Psyguy) are a bit correct in that they want to see who can actually be there this week, therefore, further weeding out candidates. Then, if things don't work out, contacting others who couldn't be there this week.

Who knows? It's such a game at times.
PsyGuy

WOW

Post by PsyGuy »

A school requiring an in person interview, at your expense, on the first introduction. Just about every school, if its not at a fair, does a Skype interview.

Its not really common or expected that candidates will fly out to an in person interview (and if it is they should pay for it). They either want someone to start now, or they are simply being polite about your enthusiasm. If your willing to fly out there and meet with them, they arent going to say no (if they are interested) to an interview, since it costs them practically nothing to sit down with you for 30 minutes.

If they really wanted you they would make a Skype interview happen. International teacher recruitment is a lot like dating really. The schools that are just playing around with you. Want to keep you in mind as a possible backup for last minute or desperate vacancies. The schools that ignore you arent interested, and just dont want to be confrontational. The schools that really want you, want to do everything now, and quickly (because you might find someone better then them).
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Actually, they did mention that they would cover travel expenses, but with my obligations at school here, I just couldn't foresee missing any/all of this week of school. That's what is weird, offering to pay for travel expenses one minute, then not replying the next.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

They wanted you/someone who could start now. As soon as you said you had duties/lessons at your current school, you were saying you werent available now, at this moment. Thats when they lost interest. The reality for them is having a warm body in the classroom now is their priority.
Schools dont fly out there whole candidate pool without screening people first, and there going to do a screening interview over the phone or Skype.