Academnia Cotopaxi

Healy

Academnia Cotopaxi

Post by Healy »

Another background question - any updates on this school? The reviews are not very positive, although all seem to be about the director who is leaving. Any current info on the school? And separately, on life in Quito?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

AC is an academically-oriented school. You will work your butt off. The pay and housing allowance are very good for Ecuador. I lived in Quito for three years and really enjoyed my time there, and even considered a fourth year (I was teaching at a different school but my best friends were at AC). Ecuador is an incredible country with more diversity per square inch than most larger countries.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I worked in Quito for a few years and generally enjoyed the experience. The Cotopaxi is a solid school and you should easily move on to an even better place after your time there.

As far as the city is concerned, it really depends on what sort of activities you enjoy. I don't really care for taking long walks or hiking up volcanoes. I also do not enjoy cold weather. I much rather spend the afternoon at a nice cafe and then the weekend at a beach. Neither one of these are really the types of things you can do easily in and from Quito respectively.

However, the Andes and the opportunities to get out are spectacular if that's your thing. The ride to school continues to be the most breathtaking drive I have probably ever taken within city limits (except maybe for a late afternoon drive in Rio). Bogota and the joys of Colombia are only an hour away and the rest of South America is quite easy to get to as well.

Cheers and good luck.