Agreements Between Bangkok Schools

IAMBOG

Agreements Between Bangkok Schools

Post by IAMBOG »

I read here, I think, that schools in Bangkok have some kind of agreement that when teachers in Bangkok move from one school to another, then they are considered long term resident and put on local contracts.

Is this something all schools follow, or an agreement between just a few? I had planned to work in a lower tier school until such a time I had enough experience to move up the ladder. Would this reduce me to a local hire?
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes you di, it was the "Non Teaching Spouse Employment" topic.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... php?t=2250

Its typically an understanding in large,metropolitan cities like Beijing, Bangkok, Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Rome, etc. Where there are several international schools. Basically, the understanding is they dont "try" to steal/poach each others teachers. Of course there are exceptions and exemptions.

It may very well mean that you would be offered a local hire contract when you move up to one of the first tier or elite schools, it depends on how badly they want you and how long youve been resident.
pyp teacher

Depends on the school

Post by pyp teacher »

It would be a good idea to contact the school and find out, they will tell you their policy and not all are the same. If you are hired at a fair, for example, in London then they often can and will hire you. It seems strange when you live in the same city as the school, but I have heard of this many times.
nicky2012

Post by nicky2012 »

It's the definition of 'local hire' that makes this more complicated. If you are interviewed overseas at one of the fairs then you would normally (from my understanding) be considered an international hire and therefore not be put on a local hire contract. Last year at the Search fair in Bangkok I heard about some dodgy treatment of a woman on a local hire contract with one of the big guys in Bangkok, she was looking elsewhere because of it.

At my school you did (now changed) become a 'local hire' after being at the school for 7 years. New people coming from schools in Bangkok would get 50% of the moving allowance and set up allowance, but that was the only difference, they still got the housing allowance and health insurance.

My last school in China pulled the local hire game when the new Head came in, but he applied it in a very inconsistent manner which led to a lot of resentment. It ended with a good friend and excellent teacher being fired.... the last straw was a ruthless review on ISR too.