Hyderabad, India

The Interloper

Hyderabad, India

Post by The Interloper »

Hello All! I'm considering a position with the International School Hyderabad. The reviews on ISR are less than flattering, but I'm looking for some information that doesn't sound so much like sour grapes. Any information about the school and/or living in Hyderabad would be GREATLY appreciated. :idea:
PsyGuy

Sorry why?

Post by PsyGuy »

Ok Ive written about this before but what are you really looking for, because really the school is as bad as the reviews as they sound. Are you just desperate this time of year and want any reason (good or bad0 to pursue a job that is poorly recommended?

I ask because this is how runners happen, and the contract integrity of our profession. This is how all those horror stories you read in the reviews start, except in this case you have fair warning and really should see the train wreck coming.
Even if you get a report that its actually not a bad school, how do you weigh it against the reviews you also have. They all come from anonymous sources, so ones no credible then another.

Im not trying to attack you or offend you but really what are you looking for? The schools rep is what it is.
The Interloper

Reasons

Post by The Interloper »

Psyguy.

I'm simply looking for more information. The (only two) reviews mostly focus on the elementary school, and how bad the principal is. Both reviews are also dated 2008 - 2010.

In my experience, I know that I can function very effectively in the classroom with an incompetent principal in charge of the school itself. what happens in the Elementary School is of little concern to me on a day to day basis.

I do not have my head in the clouds - quotes such as "It's like a bad marriage, we love each other but can't live with each other" from the Director and "The Curriculum Director and her husband fled, during the night just as school was starting this year", "The schools academics are a joke in most ways, lacking most resources", and "If you are a dedicated teacher, please avoid this school!" from the reviewers are MASSIVE red flags.

What I'm looking for is more up to date information and information that may be more relevant to the functioning of the high school, such as the performance of L.N., the assistant principal in charge.

And don't worry - I don't feel attacked or offended. :)

Thanks for your reply.
Last edited by The Interloper on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

OK

Post by PsyGuy »

Well to start with I apologize for my previous post, I had a long night before and had to wake up early.

Second,when you see a post/review with dates such as 2008/2010 it usually means that the teachers contract was for 2008-2010 which is the typical 2 year contract. That said most teachers post after their contract or near the end of it, an 2010 isnt that long ago. Secondly, above the primary and secondary vice principals is the principal and a director. It would be really hard for a rouge admin to stay in an environment were they are directly supervised. In other words, the head has to or should know and it complicit in allowing the situation to continue. Neither scenario is a good thing for the overall school. My experience and word Ive heard is that this is a pretty toxic school that is literally run by a few influential parents, who are basically the heads of the school.

The curriculum is all over the place. Embracing an IB approach but providing a British Curriculum for 10 years then switching to IBD for the credential, and its really loose as far as resources and support, teachers pretty much teach what they want until IBD. Im sorry but this is the kind of school that is going to be (and always has been) cheap with materials and will blame you for everything. The heads are pretty much untouchable. The parents care about their kids grades, and thats it.

Seriously, this is a train wreck waiting to happen and when it does, its going to be messy and ugly.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Daisy...... are you saying that this is a good school?

Can you refute psyguys assertions?
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

No she cant because she knows their valid, and shes not going to claim its a good school just to argue with me, since its a losing position.

Her issue is that being right is irrelevant, as the basis for my claims are without foundation and that short of direct, personal experience, I have no background to make my conclusions. Basically she wants me to "show my work".

Which doesnt sound bad except its just a ploy to play the "Who & Where in the world is PsyGuy" game some more.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't comment on subjects and issues i dont have experience in. Since I choose to comment on this school its because I do have experience with the school, thats how i was able to draw my conclusions.

I dont pretend i have an inside track, I neither pretend, nor have an inside track. I have professional opportunities and experiences that afford me a wide and varied view of international education.
specialed

Post by specialed »

To the OP:
psyguy has proven that he will make up something just so he can keep himself busy on one of his many bulletin board locations. He reads the ISR reviews, looks up the info on Search, and he then feels like he has been there and knows all about the place.

Please wait and listen to someone who has actually been there before you make a decision. psyguy is in Texas and posts like crazy to keep himself busy. While entertaining (sometimes), you have no idea whether or not he has any direct knowledge of a place and ISR reviews are notorious in the teaching community for being the place where you write a nasty comment after you've been fired.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont need to make up any of my experiences, and northern europe is no where near texas. They think they know more then they really do. Its a classic ad hominem attack.

Notice that no ones disagreeing with me??? They are just naysayers who think unless youve worked somewhere two years you cant comment on a place. They invalidate the entire "network" of international teachers, because second hand information cant be considered reliable to them. They also want you to believe that you have to give a place some extended length of time before knowing its a dump, or that your unhappy. They also would like to promote the idea that teachers are supposed to suffer if not "for the kids" but for fear they will never get a job again.

The reality is that in EVERY school from ASIJ all the way down to the bottom there will be a group of people who are a poor fit, unsuccessful and unhappy. The real issue is how big of a group that is compared to the happy group. A third tier school cant hide for long. This site is but one source, im sure if you look around youll find other indications that the school isnt anywhere youd like to be.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="specialed"] While entertaining (sometimes), you have no idea whether or not he has any direct knowledge of a place and ISR reviews are notorious in the teaching community for being the place where you write a nasty comment after you've been fired.[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------
Possibly among School Head/Administration types. Among many teachers it has a slightly different reputation.