Two questions on Colombia

liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Psy, basic grammar errors are common and I personally don't think it's a big deal. I do believe that not making an effort of spelling the name of a country correctly is rather rude and disrespectful. Colombia is a beautiful country with wonderful people, but is misunderstood due to ignorance. People like you who won't make an effort to respect and learn about other cultures really give travelers and those living abroad a bad image.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I really just dont care how its spelled. I have zero motivation to retrain the brain cell responsible on how to spell Columbia. Its just not worth my time and effort.

I spend a significant portion of my professional life learning about other cultures, and respect doesnt mean agreeing with others. Its easy to respect people who think the same as you, the real challenge is respecting those who dont. Personally, i dont consider myself an ambassador of travel. Im not a spokesperson and Im not a public relations or image consultant. I make no claims of being objective, my experiences are what they are, and if you want the "sales brochure" for a country you can find that on plenty of websites.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Well

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I really just dont care how its spelled. I have zero motivation to retrain the brain cell responsible on how to spell Columbia. Its just not worth my time and effort.

[/quote]

Possibly, but continuing to purposely mis-spell it is taking the piss a bit.
PsyGuy

Agreed

Post by PsyGuy »

Im not doing it to be a jerk. There is Colombia the country and there is Columbia, South Carolina (and Columbia University). They are phonetically (sound) the same, but spelled differently. I am choosing too simplify my life by spelling them both the same as opposed to trying to remember which one is spelled with an "o" and which with a "u". Since I am more likely as an admin to have a need to spell Columbia (since the university is there) correctly as opposed to Colombia, the country just loses out.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

What does it matter that you're an admin? This is a thread about Colombia the country, at what point does a city in the U.S. enter the picture?

Psy, I appreciate the important information you sometimes post, but I really think your showing a complete lack of class on this one.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry. sometimes things are what they are. Im not going to learn to spell Columbia (the country). Id rather be respectful and open about why and the reasons, then just ignore someones protests of being insulted or offended.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="liketotravel"]What does it matter that you're an admin? This is a thread about Colombia the country, at what point does a city in the U.S. enter the picture?

Psy, I appreciate the important information you sometimes post, but I really think your showing a complete lack of class on this one.[/quote]

Actually, it's just a little silly. You don't need to learn to spell it.
It's right there: Look ^!
tgrear2008

Post by tgrear2008 »

Approximately 50% of this thread is a pissing match about spelling.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is not the content that I want to read.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Not defending anyone here, but do we spell Italy "Italia" or Germany "Deutschland" in English.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

For a guy who has 27 credentials you really have a tough time learning simple things.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Hey at least he isn't talking about men just going there for sex and girls just wanting green cards in Colombia.

Colombia does sound kind of interesting. Did I hear right about the average temps? I thought it would be much hotter. So compared to a big US city, how safe is Colombia?

Psyguy - keep up the good fight! You represent San Antonio well.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

The North Coast and Cali area blazing hot. Bogota is rainy and can get cold. Medellin and Bucaramanga is considered to be almost perfect weather. The Zona Cafeteria can get wet and cold. The weather in Colombia reflects a lot of things about the country, very diverse.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="tgrear2008"]Approximately 50% of this thread is a pissing match about spelling.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is not the content that I want to read.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------

Then make a more positive contribution. :D

Or just scan/ignore.
PsyGuy

*Sigh*

Post by PsyGuy »

Columbia isnt Mexico (as far as woman and green cards go) and im not in San Antonio. As an admin im more likely to deal with Columbia university, in Columbia the city in South Carolina then anywhere in Columbia the country.

The weather in Columbia is effected more by the topography then its geography. Thats why its not just hot everywhere as youd expect.

**UPDATE: Thanks, Sharona for the correct word.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Maybe thats "affected by topography" rather than location.