Two questions on Colombia

Healy

Two questions on Colombia

Post by Healy »

It's been a while since I was job-hunting and I am sure things have changed. I would appreciate any current information on (a) Colombia in general and Cali in particular and (b) Colegio Colombo Británico (only one ISR review; possibly one-sided). Thanks in advance.
fke

Colombia

Post by fke »

Colombia is great. Just do a search on the NYTimes and you will find a ton of articles--the Times has been obsessed with Colombia lately. And safety is not a great concern (if you stick to the cities or tourist areas). Even Cali is a lot safer than it used to be. But, honestly, Bogotá is by far the better city--culturally, things to do, more dynamic. It is true that Cali weather is great:sunny and less rain than rainy rainy Bogotá...and the people are incredibly friendly. If you like to salsa dance, you will be in heaven. I live in Bogotá, and I think it is the best city (with the exception of Bs As) to live in for Latin America...although the DF is good too. Colombian food is also wonderful. Sorry, but I know nothing of the school. But, don´t hesitate for safety reasons.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I agree with the above post. Colombia is amazing. I taught there a few years back and loved every minute. I would say its the same danger as living in Chicago or New York City. You just got to be smart. I never had a problem in three years.

I can't comment on Cali either, but I've known people who have lived there and love it. Capital of salsa and a awesome . city (most of Colombia is). Bogota, Zona Cafeteria, Medellin, Bucaramanga, and the North Coast would all be great places to live and teach.

I lived in Bogota too and it's one of my favorite places in the world. Bring a jacket, can get frigging cold.

Colombia es pasión!
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I worked in Colombia many years ago and have been back many times since. I absolutely love the country and would like to work their again soon. Bogota is one of my favorite cities as well.

As far as safety is concerned, if you're smart, you should be fine.

Cheers and good luck!
PsyGuy

Personally

Post by PsyGuy »

I actually like columbia, great food, really "friendly" people. A wild social life. The woman are almost as beautiful as the Brazilians. Security and safety can be a concern. everyone says if your smart you will have little problems, but the smart thing isnt always something you can predict or see clearly. There is a pretty big drug business going on, but unlike mexico they arent really interested in kidnapping people etc.

The only real practical issue is saving and cost of living. You can live pretty well WHILE THERE, but as soon as you leave your saving are almost pitiful. Youd have to REALLY be making a very high salary if you had bills back home or wanted to save.
Healy

Post by Healy »

Thank you for your comments - but what about Cali and the Colegio Colombo Británico ?
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Psy there are a few schools in Colombia that you could save 15 - 20K easy if you're frugal when you travel out of the country and don't have many bills at home.

Being smart means not traveling to the wrong section of town or flaunting your possessions. I lived in Colombia for 3 years and Honduras (one of the most dangerous countries in the world) for a few and never had one problem.

Both countries are pinnacle for the drug trade and unless your a mule or participating in drug trafficking it's pretty much a non-factor for a foreigners safety. Latin Americans own drug use is incredibly low compared to the rest of the world so you don't really have to worry getting hit in the head by a crackhead. Your biggest issue is common theft and that is why people say "you need to be smart".

As for women, everyone knows Colombianas are the most beautiful.
fke

Post by fke »

Psy guy...I don´t have problems with you. But, seriously. 1. You really shouldn´t comment on a place you haven´t lived (I am assuming you haven´t).

2. Your credibility is shot when you spell the name of the country wrong. That is Colombians number one pet peeve. Don´t spell it wrong! It is COLOMBIA.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive been to Columbia, never lived there but visited.

Incidentally, my spelling grammar and general use of the English language are unlikely to change regardless of the suggestions from others.

Postal Script:

I had a pet peeve once, but I forgot to water and feed it so it died.
abarisme

Cali, Colombia is AWESOME!

Post by abarisme »

I don't know anything about the school. Sorry, I'm new to the international field, but I do know about Cali! My husband is from there, and I have gone twice since we've been married. We are going again in June! GREAT CITY! Nice PEOPLE! Food to die for! Just like any other city you visit, you need to be smart and use common sense. Enjoy, do it, and take a leap of faith. :)

I do have a girlfriend who works in Cartagena, Colombia, and she told me that you have to either travel or save because it is hard to do both..... So that is something to think about.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I live in Colombia and teach at a Colegio on the north coast. The weather in Cali is HOT! At times, hotter than here on the coast. I've heard great things about living in the city, beautiful, lots of stuff to do, etc. I've only been in the airport, so I will stop pretending I know anything specific. However, I have traveled all over other places of Colombia and I don't understand how people can consider the food here great, or wonderful. Please fill me in on what dishes you are eating here so I can make sure to try them. Actually, when I leave Colombia, one of the reasons will be because of the food. The cheese here is the worst I have ever had, which in turn, ruins many other dishes that have capablities of being tasteful. The arroz con pollo is tolerable, but who can't cook a chicken? Or boil some rice? Many dishes are fried, and at times, it's almost impossible to find a vegetable. If you ask for them, people look at you like you're crazy, or like you asked for poop.

Okay... done with my food rant, but I just got back from a trip to Spain and Morocco and ate everything in sight, knowing that I will not have another good meal out for quite some time.

In my opinion, the best thing about Colombia is the landscape. I know many others feel differently.
fke

Post by fke »

Cali has VERY good food. They are known for their food--both good restaurants and the local food including a wonderful fruit/ice/icecream thing.

In Bogotá, the food is also excellent. Both international restaurants where you can have very good Asian (Wok), Corral Gourment (hamburgers), Dilucca (Italian) etc. And, of course, local food--

ajiaco
arepas (the ones at Andres de Carnes Res are amazing with creme fraiche, corn and cheese)
empanadas
the meat in general
santafereño hot chocolate
coffee that is excellent
wonderful panaderias and desserts
and the fruit juices are bar none including a juice using the feijoa fruit that you can only get in Colombia.

The coast, including the Carribean country of Panama, I have found never have good food since vegetables have a hard time growing there and everything is friend. It is not Colombia.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Bogota has many world class restaurants and the local food is quite tasty, too.

Colombian beef is absolutely fantastic - makes the better known Argentine stuff feel and taste like old chewing gum.
Bule

Colombia

Post by Bule »

Cali is a great city for nightlife and as someone said previously, it's the salsa capital of Colombia. Hot weather and hot people. :-) The school is ok and pays about average for Latin America. Unlike the 80s and 90s, the drug violence won't affect you at all unless you seek it out or do something ill-advised. Be very careful when listening to people who have only visited a country (and especially anyone who, unapologetically, SPELL the name of a country incorrectly LOL!) and make a generalization about living there based upon the 1 trip.

If you really want to work in Colombia, the best respected school with the best package is Colegio Nueva Granada in Bogota. The new head has really brought that school along in the last couple of years and has gone on record to say that he wants to make it the best school in Latin America. The benefits, overall, are approaching Graded, ECA, and Nido levels, so you can easily save 15- 20g if you are careful with your money. The thing about Bogota, though, is that the weather is always cool (45-65 degrees F year around) and often rainy. So if you want the hot weather, Bogota is not the place for you.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

It was actually a couple trips, but yeah I didnt live there. They do have a lot of meat based dishes there. Being able to afford meat is a sign of status, vegetable only diets are seen as being poor. So when people are eating out in public they want to be seen as carnivores. Youc ant really save and enjoy the night life and or travel, there just isnt the money. You can live well there as long as your in country.

I wouldnt live in Columbia, if I was going to live/teach in south america it would be Brazil all the way, but theres nothing really wrong with Columbia, its just not my first preference for the region.