NSWE (New Sino-Western Education) School in Qingdao, China

Cee13

NSWE (New Sino-Western Education) School in Qingdao, China

Post by Cee13 »

Does anyone have firsthand information about this school? I'm wondering if I should even apply.

I have never taught overseas, but worked in various schools in London while studying abroad during my Junior year in college. I know....kind of a joke, but that's my only international experience.

I have been teaching for thirteen years in the states (eight of them at the only Demonstration school in my city), have my Bachelors in El. Ed. and a Masters Equivalency degree.

I've applied to numerous schools, but no luck! I started this process very late in the hiring season, not a member of SEARCH, and was too late to make it to any of the job fairs. Needless to say, I will go about this process much differently for the '12-'13 school year.

I appreciate any of your responses :D
PsyGuy

Sure

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure its worth applying, whats the time and cost of emailing a resume really? A few seconds and free.

The issue is it worth taking a position if offered. They are not a great school (Tier 3). The school is mostly locals, so not really an international school. They arent reped by Search or ISS. They arent an IB school (so no IB experience). They arent accredited by any of the american regional accrediting associations. Basically, they are a private school in a rural region of China (they offer AP, because they are a test center). Their compensation isnt that great at all. Its around 12K RMB which is around the top end of an ESL school. They provide housing in apartments, you get local medical, airfare and a tiny relocation allowance (a couple hundred USD). They give a one month bonus at the end of contract.If you had nothing else it would be a paycheck, but as far as growth goes without IB PYP experience it would do nothing for you.
Cee13

Post by Cee13 »

First of all, thanks for your reply! It's not just a resume/CV they're looking for. Rather a lengthy online application, copies of cert, passport, coursework etc...

I thought it was a bit higher than a Tier 3 school. They're affiliated with a very elite, well regarded private school I'm quite familiar with here in the states. Regardless, I have to start somewhere. Like I mentioned, I've never taught overseas and have no IB/PYP experience. But my years in the classroom, strong letters of rec., and certification have to be worth something somewhere. This whole process is definitely a bit draining... I think I need a drink!
PsyGuy

Really

Post by PsyGuy »

You should have all those things (except the application) already scanned. That said a lot of low tier schools like to pretend or act like they are better then they really are. Most of the real international schools dont need sister schools or affiliations with other private schools. Their view is that moving elsewhere is a step down for a student. Top tier ISs care about relationships with colleges and universities.

Your right your qualifications are worth something. This school would probably hire you too, but at the end of a couple years with them you wont have anything to really transition to another school. You already have "american" classroom experience, and chinese classroom experience isnt how international schools are run really (even in china). You also dont need "AP" experience since it isnt your grade level. You would make enough at this school to be OK, but you wouldnt really be able to save anything.

What you need to do though is get with an agency, get your application materials ready and be very open minded about where to go. I hate to say this but I'd consider a few schools in the ME over this school.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Two of my friends work/have worked there. One has been there three years and the other worked there for two before moving on to a different school in Qingdao.

First off, Qingdao is NOT a rural region of China. Qingdao is like any other big Chinese city, though it is on the coastline and some people do enjoy going to the beach. I chaperoned a MUN conference in Qingdao in February and the city struck me as decent enough, if pretty typical of Chinese cities. (But this is coming from someone who has worked in China before and am now just bored of China. You may love Qingdao. Many do.)

The compensation is around 15-18k per month. This is listed on TIE Online. And yes, the housing would be in an apartment, as is most housing in China.

Honestly, no, it is not a fantastic school, it is third tier, but both of my friends enjoyed their time enough to stay a few years. They say administration is honest and contracts are honored. You could likely do better if you waited a year, but I understand NOT wanting to wait a year and this would be a foot in the door to better jobs in China.
Cee13

Post by Cee13 »

Wouldn't this school fall under the "international" category and give me that experience needed to transition to another school? Maybe I'm missing something here. It wouldn't be the first time :0

As far as the ME-that's definitely not my bag!
PsyGuy

What is

Post by PsyGuy »

First, I've had reasonably accurate information that teachers have had contracts for around 12K (I suppose 15K is around 12K) but my experience is that schools when they advertise a position tend to oversell the salary. I dont doubt that there are people getting 15K or even 18K, though the issue is whether your one of them. Final note, the apartments are not the nicest, or newest, they have the typical chinese "utility" look, feel, and amenities.

Second, yes Qingdao is a rural area, when you compare it to places like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou as urban areas. It is not a not village of rice paddies and bamboo huts but it is not a cosmopolitan place to be. Its small town, not big city. (I think I really need to start saying this explicitly because a lot of people have this idea that rural means farming village).

What makes an international school (IS) an IS has been debated on this board a several times.To start the name "International School" is not protected like the words "Bank" or "University" are. Basically any school can call its self an international school. Any school for that matter can call themselves an "american" or "european" school as well. Names are just marketing.

Next, we look at school population, most international teachers (IT) consider a school international when the student body is comprised of a significant number of students outside the local population (what constitutes significant is what we disagree over). Its not uncommon (and true in this schools case) for an international school to predominately serve the local population. In this case the school is more a private/independent school.

Past that, an international school typically has an accredited international curriculum these include the IB and IGCSE and western national curriculums (USA, UK, European, Canadian, Australian) curriculum with the predominate ones being USA (AP) and UK (GCSE). Curriculums. The more international the curriculum the more international the school. Some schools will follow a local curriculum for the first 10 years and then just do IBD (Diploma) for the last two years. Some schools will combine the local curriculum and a "borrowed" concept, idea, design of a national curriculum (as is the case in your school). Lastly accreditation plays a significant role. There is nothing stoping an international school/private school from following the local curriculum (to make be legal) and just introducing one of the international "styles". There are a number of third tier schools that believe hiring westerners and letting them do their thing is all you need to have an "international program"

Lastly, and I dislike bringing it up, and i do so only because of the correlation between these two, but teachers expect international schools to "recruit, and compensate" like international schools. So what does that mean, well reduced to a formula real international schools can charge a lot more in tuition, and therefor can afford to compensate their staff more. Local schools tend to attract the middle class in a region who want out of the municipal/public school system but cant afford the tuition at the "real" international school. As a result they dont pay (and that means total compensation) as much as the real international schools. The schools are also managed more like local schools and have less resources typically then the real international schools.
Cee13

Post by Cee13 »

PsyGuy-
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my thread! I know that some users on here have been coming down on you. But I can only go by what I notice. You put a lot into this thread, and I thoroughly appreciate it!!
Thanks!
C
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Rural in china still out populates major cities around the world.

In Shanghai, we considered Nanjing rural. So go figure.
PsyGuy

Agree

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree, Im going to start using the term "isolated" from now on.