wellspring school, beruit?

Lulu

Post by Lulu »

heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I interviewed with them last year in Cambridge. It was pretty off-putting. The founder hired a relative as something like business manager, and they were both in the interview. They never talked about the curriculum but about themselves, and never asked me much of anything. The whole venture seemed pretty slap-dash.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I'm sorry, but I agree with Psyguy on this point.

Anywhere in the middle east is a potential powder keg right now. Beirut esp. has a history of erupting into violence. One of the main factions in the lebanese Govt is backed by syria and look at the mess damascus is in right now. It may only be a matter of time before Beirut is the same shape as it was in the 80's... a war zone. Sure, it's been peaceful for the past 8-10 years. But the christian phalangists, hezbolah, fatah and a number of other militias are still armed to the teeth and it only takes a spark to set the whole country to flames..... sorry to be so pessimistic. Beirut may indeed be lovely, the school may be wonderful, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole
olympe

Post by olympe »

I taught 2 years in Beirut from 2000 -2002. since then, the political stability has been worse. One of the best things there was the travelling opportunities. My trips to Jordan ,Syria and Egypt were beautiful and really interesting. Unfortunately any visit to Syria can be forgotten now. A whole situation which actually makes me really sad.

Today, I would never go back.
Irish Rover

schools in Lebanon

Post by Irish Rover »

Does anyone have any current information about schools in Lebanon? Best schools? Thoughts on the political situation? Any info is helpful!
Lulu

kudos

Post by Lulu »

Yes, I am more concerned with info about the individual school, working condidtions etc. I can research what it is like to live there more easily on line than finding out about a shcool from overseas. I appreaciate Psy guy's pro vs. con but I really want info from someone who is at the mentioned school NOW or has been there recently. This would be more helpful
bostonfan19831

Post by bostonfan19831 »

Beirut is the most amazing country I have ever visited. When in Beirut you look up and see the gorgeous mountain side. When in the mountains you look down and see the gorgeous Mediterranean Sea. The nightlife is amazing and trust me the woman are stunning. Regarding the culture, sure there is that lingering macho/man culture that reveals itself in the aspect of " power" and "control." Mostly reveals itself in everyday situations where compromise and general communication would be smooth from a self-aware individual who does not seek power or control.

Lebanon as a whole is one of those countries anyone should visit. There is a definite pulse in Beirut that allows even those who have aged well into there 50's and 60's to still have that youthful vitality in them. Social evenings include drinking whiskey or a traditional beverage called ARAK and smoking flavored tobacco from the Hookah. One of the greatest moments I had in Lebanon is driving alongside the beach or driving in downtown Beirut on a Fri/Sat night .... tuning into an Arabic music with that traditional vibe..... ahhhh I miss it just talking about it..

Sure there is instability and the occasional firefight in the border area near Syria or Israel. But you are far away from this in Beirut. I think it has to be understood that when you are in Lebanon you get used to hearing about some type of uprising near by... and get used to hearing stories or even find yourself in Lebanon during fighting in Beirut or something along these lines. If you can accept this being part of it all, GREAT.... generally you will be safe....you will go into shelter when appropriate... other than that....the people are beautiful... there is terrible traffic.. sometimes the air smells of gasoline...the driving is a constant game of chicken and the sounds of people pressing their horns is constant... but this is Lebanon.... the beauty of it all.

Much blessings in your travels.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Boston is downgrading the wars to conflicts like the American politicians so they can say they never lost a war.

Just hope for no full scale American backed Israeli invasion if you're in Beiruit.
fke

Wellspring

Post by fke »

I am curious about this school too. No reviews on this site (since it is pretty new I gather).

Any one know anything???