Dipont school in Shenzhen, China

Eric

Dipont school in Shenzhen, China

Post by Eric »

Does anyone have any knowledge of the new international branch of the Shenzhen Foreign Language School in China or life in general for a single person in Shenzhen?

Alternately, any info from teachers that have had experience working with Dipont- working conditions, savings potential, etc.

Any and all info much appreciated.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

There has been some discussion of Dipont on the boards.

I'd look here; http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ght=dipont

And here; http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ght=dipont

Again, I would say it is going to be more like working at a Chinese local school than an international school, which has downsides.

Shenzhen is quite a bit different than other Chinese cities. Everything is very new because the city was agricultural land in the recent past. Granted the old cities are being re-build at break neck speeds so maybe it won't seem that different on the surface. All the Chinese people are from somewhere else so you don't get the prejudice of Chinese people from the city treating new arrivals "waidiren" poorly, but you do get the good old class differences. Very few old people in public compared with other places in China which I noticed immediately when traveling there because it's a very noticeable aspect of other Chinese cities.

Warm to hot weather. Easy to get to Hong Kong just across the border (but you'll want a multiple entry Z visa to make it easy) and Guangzhou is a short bus ride away.
PsyGuy

Ditto

Post by PsyGuy »

Have to agree with the previous poster. There is also a boon in real estate, a lot of farmers, leased their land for apartments and other development projects, so there is a new money energy. Most people visit they dont really stay, though its a a small and therefor easy city to get around. You wont see as many or as common imports as you would in Guangzhou, but its a very short trip. You dont need a Z visa anymore to zip over to HK, just a reentry card/permit (which is a new thing).

They are probably best know for their style of cooking (hot pot) and it really is spicy hot (at least for me). People are friendly and eager. Its a common stop for back packers, with a thin wallet, and a pretty cheap (even by chinese standards) to live. It can feel kinda small pretty fast, there just isnt a whole lot to do and see after about a month tops, but its one of the easier places to make local friends.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

[quote]Alternately, any info from teachers that have had experience working with Dipont- working conditions, savings potential, etc. [/quote]

I have some friends who work for Dipont (though not in Shenzhen) and they seem to really enjoy it. They have said that the students tend to be bright and motivated, as they're choosing to be part of the program, and that the savings potential is very good. Of course, that depends on your lifestyle, but they seem to think they're doing pretty well. Their apartment is pretty nice; they had a generous housing allowance and were able to shop around and select something they really like. They have signed on for a second contract.

I think it really depends on which branch of Dipont you work at, but overall, they are happy with their jobs.
Danda

Post by Danda »

PsyGuy: Are you confusing Shenzhen with another city? Your description sounds nothing like what I know of Shezhen.

I’ll have to disagree with much of the information that PsyGuy provided. Shenzhen is not a small city by any measure. It has over 10 million people (~ 6 million of them are migrant workers) and is very densely populated (5th most densely populated city in the world). Transportation by car is easy sometimes and a complete nightmare others. However, the metro is very nice and comparable to some of the nicer metros I’ve ridden around the world. You can find nearly anything in Shenzhen and if you can’t you can always make a run out to Shekou where you can buy any and all food items or just jump over the border into Hong Kong. Shenzhen is anything but cheap. Make sure you get housing included because apartments there are very expensive. Backpackers don’t stop in Shenzhen because it is a big, huge concrete jungle.

The comment about the local style of cooking is too funny. Hot pots are not from the Shenzhen area although you can find hot pot restaurants everywhere. Pysguy’s comment is like saying New York is known for their wonderful style of cooking called Italian.

As a single guy in Shenzhen, you will have plenty of fun.

I have no idea about the school. I live near Shenzhen and have never heard of it, which isn't a good sign. I'd try to stick with reputable schools in China and would be very wary of working for a Chinese owned school.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

10 million is small by chinese standards. Shenzhen isnt GZ by ANY stretch of the imagination. Yeah theres a lot of concrete, thats why i mentioned all the development going on. I hope I didnt present this image that it was some rice village in the middle of Shangri-La. Even with 10 million people though it feels small. The traffic isnt as bad as it is in Shanghai and a few other places, and it is pretty easy to get around. Imports just arent as common or convenient as they are in GZ, I suppose you could find anything (or a close substitute) if you look long and far enough.

The hostel in Shenzhen is very popular and a favorite stop either coming from or going to GZ.

I didnt say hot pot was from Shenzhen, but that they were known for it, and as you confirmed they are everywhere.

Im sure your package includes housing, but if you get to find your own there are reasonable and affordable options, and there are even some cheap options if you really want to max out your savings potential.

If your a single guy I agree with Danda you should have a lot of fun, and if you need to GZ isnt far away.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Your original post made it sound like it was some small city in China with little going on. In fact, it is the 4th or 5th largest urban district in China. Sure it doesn’t compare to Chongqing’s 30+ millions residents but that administrative zone is the size of Austria and the population numbers for the city are deceiving. When just looking at Chinese city’s urban zones, it is in the top five just behind Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and another one that I forget right now. Even factoring out migrant populations it is still one of the largest urban centers in China. It is barely smaller than Guangzhou but doesn’t seem as frantic and chaotic as Guangzhou because the urban planning is so much better. Also, it is the wealthiest city in China according to GDP per capita (Shenzhen 92,000 RMB; Shanghai 77,000 RMB; Guanghzhou 88,000 RMB).

Sorry for misinterpreting your “their style of cookingâ€
PsyGuy

Me

Post by PsyGuy »

Actually, Shenzhen is the 8th wealthiest, but still beats out the big three of Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Beijing (even if you take out Macau, and Honk Kong as SAR, and Ordos and Alxa for being in Inner Mongolia, that still makes Shenzhen 4th)

1 Macau 350,689
2 Hong Kong 214,485
3 Ordos 138,109
4 Alxa League 133,058
5 Karamay 121,387
6 Dongying 116,404
7 Daqing 103,576
8 Shenzhen 94,296

I can see how the numbers would look skewed, sometimes Guangzhou seems to over shadow over the entire Guangdong province (even though Shenzhen is in Guangdong province).

I love HK, but if your just looking to go shopping GZ is a better choice then HK, why deal with jumping borders if you dont have to, and prices are generally higher in HK then GZ. Though your also more likely to get an authentic item in HK then GZ (if your looking for Armani for instance, though HK can copy the best suits and jackets anywhere. They literally sew the label into the cloths. I have over a dozen Armani, and Oscar De La Renta copies that no one has yet been able to tell the difference. At about 1300RMB thats is a very good price).

HK is DEFIANTLY the better night scene. GZ has some bars around the Garden Hotel (including a StarBucks). All the real good clubs (except maybe 1) are on Chang Di Da Ma Lu road, and there are 4 or 5 small bar/clubs near the Baiyun Hotel (Best Western), but its all pretty tame compared to the fun in HK. The big difference is cost and prestige. There are places in HK where you have to have some serious coin to have fun at. Im talking 1000RMB drinks and thats before you get to the bottle service. Some places are also just exclusive and if your not the right person or with the right people you just cant get in. GZ is more relaxed your not going to be told you cant get in, and its not nearly so expensive.

Shekou is cute, i wouldnt call it fun. Its like walking into little america. Its one of those little enclaves you go to if you want to pretend your not in China anymore. Me personally I avoided it, because I go there and I feel "back home" and then I leave again and feel depressed when i walk back into China. I guess that could be fun.

GZ also has a little america on shamian island, its where the US consulate is and if you ever need tax help or loose your passport thats where you go. Lulu's is a landmark and makes a pretty good steak. Its also right along the Pearl river, and has just about any imaginable american convenience import you could want (they were the only place I could find Reeces "big bite" peanut butter cups).

I suppose its all perception really, when you go from GZ or HK to Shenzhen it just feels smaller and less cosmopolitan. I spent many weekends there (i was pretty serious with a girl when i was there and her parents lived in Shenzhen). Shenzhen is definatley planed better and more efficient, which makes it seem smaller as well i suppose.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I've seen a few wacky lists like that with tiny mining/oil outposts included on them that make their GDP per capita really high. Many lists I've seen don't even include those. I recently saw a list that had Dongguan as the wealthiest city in China in 2011. Which surprised me but shouldn't considering how many things are produced there.

You're probably a much better judge of the single scene in any of those places. I enjoy them but always with the wife and kid. Although, I can't see how a single guy wouldn't have a great time.

@ Eric: It doesn't sound like anyone has too much information on that school. Hopefully, a semi-clear picture of what Shenzhen is like has emerged.
alia

shenzhen

Post by alia »

And for the record, Shenzhen is not cheap, especially for China, and there's not much to do there. The only saving grace seems to be that it's close to Hong Kong.