Shanghai Surprise?

tdaley26

Shanghai Surprise?

Post by tdaley26 »

I just accepted an offer from Yew Chung secondary in Pudong. As I have a non-teaching spouse and dependents I would like some input from those who are now, or have recently tuaght in Shanghai.

Places to see, things to do, pitfalls to avoid.... basically anything you wish someone had told you.

My housing is arranged by the school, so I have no control over that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Just reread my post...... apologies for the typos.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Congratulations on the job.

Nordanglia have a couple of schools there and have a guide that you download, it might have some useful info for you:

http://www.bisshanghai.com/

There's loads to do in Shanghai. Enjoy it.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Everything is generally more expensive in pudong and more spread out. The big mall and some uber fancy restaurants are near the pearl tower. There are also much bigger parks.

It's not as 'traditional' as puxi, and you will definitely spend more for groceries since there are not as many wet markets on that side of town. I basically went to pudong for western conveniences or to take the kids to the aquarium (which is awesome).

Ifnyou are not to far from the subway, then it's great.
olympe

Post by olympe »

I taught 4 years in Pudong and my second child was born in SHanghai. I'm going back there for the easter holidays to meet all my friends who are still teaching there. I left nearly 3 years and I just can't wait to bring my kids back there and enjoy the restaurants and bars of JInqiao with all of them and their kids. Might not be the traditional china but it's great for kids and family.
meghan2601

YCIS Pudong

Post by meghan2601 »

Hello! I am just finishing up my 1st year at YCIS-I am from the US. THe school is nice and housing is fine. Pudong is a nice area to live in but everything is new -no character at all. Lots of brand new apartment compounds and villas. We have enjoyed our 1st year . Everything you want or need to buy can be found here. It's hard to find leather children's shoes and clothing over size 10/12 or so. My daughter loved school this year--wonderful program and she has learned a lot of chinese this year! THe school offers many after school activities a well. WHich school will you be at? Good luck--and let meknow if you have any questions or concerns! :D
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi all,

a strange question, perhaps...I may have the opportunity to work at a startup Amerian HS in Shanghai, but they are having trouble finding a K-8 school that they can send my girls to. ARE there any K-8 schools in Shanghai? Not K-12, but K-8? They are hoping to get a "reciprocity" agreement where they could send their staff children and the other school could then have places at the school. Any information greatly appreciated!
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

There is one PYP (GR 1-5) school in Shanghai that offers an English program (and I wouldnt give it my recommendation):

Rainbow Bridge International School,
http://www.rbischina.org/Default.aspx

I dont know of any exclusive K-8 schools. That implies a very "american" program setup. IB PYP is grades 1-5 and MYP (the IBO middle school) is grades 6-10. Some countries have natural cut off points (such as here in Denmark students start gymnasium in 10 grade so MYP 5 is pretty empty as far as enrollment goes).

Whats wrong with a K-12 school?
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

For a K-12 school to give up places, it would basically be saying that it would give up a student in 9th grade. There is no reason for a K-12 school to give up students to another HS, so it's a lose-lose situation for the K-12 school and a win-win for the new school. Does that make sense?
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

No that doesnt make sense. First, the incremental costs of "one" student are negligible.
Secondly, because of the economics of scale. Running a K-12 school compared to only a K-8 school has little savings especially for an IB or IGCSE/GCSE school. 8th grade doesnt produce a qualification or diploma, there is nothing to "sell".
Third unless your daughter is going into 9th grade, then they arent taking a seat from anyone.

This issue doesnt come up often, simple because most teachers take the waivers as part of their contract. even here we get students from the private schools because our program is state funded (were a municipal school) and teachers have to pay taxes on those tuition waivers. in China, even Shanghai that just doesnt happen.

Honestly, your school sounds like they are being "cheap" or they have some other motive. Any cooperative agreement would cost more then a seat at your own school, and given the charges for fees an extra student which cost almost nothing is practically all profit for a school, it doesnt matter what grade that seat is in.

I think your school just knows that all the good schools in Shanghai are K-12 schools and are expensive and your school simply doesnt want to pay.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Choir seems to be talking about a Chinese school (or business as most of us know) running an American program. All little emperors and empresses and studying to lose their parents fortune. Won't give you any trouble but won't sit their exams once they have their offer and scholarship.

Like others have been saying, there won't be a k-8school since local parents prefer the discipline instilled and patriotism instilled in the local primary schools. And the schools only exist to facilitate an easier transition to universities abroad.

Your best option is to get them to learn Chinese and send them to a local school. The primary system is ok, and their Math will be awesome after a year.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Choir seems to be talking about a Chinese school (or business as most of us know) running an American program. All little emperors and empresses and studying to lose their parents fortune. Won't give you any trouble but won't sit their exams once they have their offer and scholarship.

Like others have been saying, there won't be a k-8school since local parents prefer the discipline instilled and patriotism instilled in the local primary schools. And the schools only exist to facilitate an easier transition to universities abroad.

Your best option is to get them to learn Chinese and send them to a local school. The primary system is ok, and their Math will be awesome after a year.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks to all...will keep it all in mind as things happen this week and next.
PsyGuy

For what its worth

Post by PsyGuy »

I know your a bit stressed out with the small number of music positions that fit your experience and your starting to get worried as you perceive time running out, but a bad school with the right position for you is still a "BAD" school, and it doesnt matter how you paint it, or make excuses for it, bad is bad. It just doesnt sound like your school is really sharing your best interests.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks PsyGuy...understood. I'm actually contemplating a trip to the States this break to interview for a few private school jobs there...maybe this is a sign to make the move home for a while to be with family, or even stay for the long run...not really sure, as having family definitely makes life more interesting when deciding on jobs. If I was young and fancy-free still, I'd even consider working in Denmark!