American School Vietnam

Eric

American School Vietnam

Post by Eric »

Hi all;

Does anyone have any knowledge of this fairly new school in HCMC/Saigon: American School of Vietnam?

I'm also interested in life in general in HCMC. Although I've lived in developing countries before, I've never lived in a large Asian city and am a bit concerned about the pollution and general chaos of it all. Do you need a car to get by or can you get by using public transport/taxis?

Any info much appreciated- thanks in advance.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Hello.

I wouldn't recommend the school. They have been around for only a couple of years and are already on their second head. I don't know if they get a lot of interference from the board, but that seems to be the case in several of the schools in town. The pay is also lower than the more established schools in the city and the facilities are quite poor (I live next to the school).

Saigon on the other hand is wonderful. I would highly recommend it. Although it is a huge city, pollution and traffic aren't much of a problem, yet. This will change in the near future but will take some time to reach Bangkok or Jakarta levels.

The single biggest concern I have (even more so than inflation) is the noise pollution. Construction goes on for 24 hours - so, you must be mindful of this when you select your flat/house.

We've been here for two years and have signed on for two more. After many years teaching internationally my wife (also a teacher), daughter and I are very happy.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

The school isnt bad, its just new. Kind of like a new teacher first time in the classroom, they arent "bad" they just have never applied what they know in a practical environment. They arent doing any worse or any better then any other new school that in hindsight makes mistakes, some you cant imagine how they didnt see coming, but thats why its called hindsight and not foresight.

HCMC is an amazing city, everyone else has already commented and I agree. Having been in China I didnt find the pollution really an issue. Yes the city is getting more expensive, but I dont know of any cities that are really getting cheaper either.
stellalocal

Re: Vietnam

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="RobSg"] Taxis are quite cheap and all have meter, and the drivers are pretty honest.

[/quote]

Not sure about that, don't go trusting the meters. I had a couple recently with well dodgy meters. The most ridiculous being the 20,000 dong journey which came in at 480,000. I think some companies are more reputable than others. You'll no doubt be told which to use/avoid when you get there depending on whether you want fun and games or a stress free journey.
kfssbjj

School in Siagon

Post by kfssbjj »

Saigon is a great place. Food is dirt cheap.

I would find out about money transfers to your home bank account. I heard that it could be a big problem. Fin out how you wire money to your bank and how much you can wire at any one time.
Lulu

calicl-in TAS

Post by Lulu »

You say you wouldn't rec. TAS but then at the end of your
review you say that you are signing on for 2 more years.
Change of heads in schools like this are not uncommon and I have heard good things about the current head. No school is perfect I suppose but overall I think the issue is mostly -1. do you feel like you are having fun teaching and making an impact on the students whilst growing as a teacher. 2. Are you able to ignore things that aren't perfect or do those things impede teaching so much that it is impossible to feel like you are able to make a positive impact? If one is able to ignore or put up with an imperfect school and connect with the students as well as enjoy the city and culture then I think signing on again for 2 more years is indeed a good move. May I ask what the typical savings is for a single person who is frugal might be and what step they start folks out on? (I have lots of experience). What are rents like for single people near the school?
I have been to Bangkok and loved it. So I reckon I would like Saigon as well. Not keen on the Hot but one is teaching most of the time and walking around the shops and sights in the early mornings and evenings would be great. Also, are there any opportunities to volunteer in the local community...say helping young people or animals?
I agree with Psy Guy in this case.
PsyGuy

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive been seeing a decrease in movement among ITs this year. Many teachers are renewing contracts not because they don want to leave bu because they don't have any where better to go.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Hello Lulu.

I don't work at TAS and never would. I am at another school.

I know about the school from my network of friends (some of which teach at TAS) and the fact that it is literally next to my home.

I don't know exactly what you would start on but most of the teachers I know here in Saigon (at various different schools) can save at least 50% of their salary if they are a bit careful.

Rent close to the school is pretty expensive. It's located in Thao Dien, which is a pricey (overpriced!) expat suburb. You might want to live closer to the center of the city (Binh Thanh District) where you can find cheaper rentals.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

To Ichiro:

I just managed to get our landlord to do a double glazing job on our windows...let's hope this works!!!

Do you live out by ISB? I feel that Saigon is quite a bit more relaxing than central Bangkok (NIST, Silom, Sukhumvit area in general) to live. Have been to ISB but don't know much about the area.

We have thought of moving to Bangkok (wife absolutely loves Thailand - she was in Rayong for three years before we met) but the thought of a flat in the center of town puts me off a bit.

Any thoughts?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

With the opening of the BTS extension stations last year and the planned opening of additional stations on the other side of the river this year, it is no longer necessary to live as close to the centre as before.

For example you can get some quiet private townhouse estates, out at the end of the Sukhumvit line close to Bangkok Patana IS (105 & 107), that are safe, quiet and have a mixed community of Thais & expats. I have three groups of friends who live in this area.

30K for a condo in and around NIST (Nana - Asoke) would get you a town house in Bangna if you are prepared to commute in.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Thanks for the info.
Lulu

friends at TAS?

Post by Lulu »

Calcio-
just exactly what do your friends at TAS complain about exactly?
Are there any blatant huge issues one should know about such as grade fixing, taking out VN tax but not giving it to the tax authorities, low morale, breaking of contracts by the school, teachers doing runners...etc.. I noticed that a lot of the teachers have less than 5 years experience and that some of it is teaching ESL.
I don't think a mostly local student body is bad and what I see on the site and from what I hear....it seems that they are going in the right direction.
Even at top tier Intl schools I hear stories of crazy things that occur and complaints/gossip etc. But all in all no school is perfect and with any new school or for profit school there are always certain things that crop up. Hopefully tho, these can be dealt with and one can focus on the kids and enjoy Saigon. :)