Shipping to Beijing

hogyorgy

Shipping to Beijing

Post by hogyorgy »

Hi guys,

Can any of you recommend a reliable, cheap shipping company from US to China? I am in Florida.
Thanks!
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Reliable AND cheap, is kind of a contradiction. Ive heard good things about Air Parcel Express

http://www.shipping-worldwide.com/

They have a cargo container service out of Miami.
sapphire

7 Seas?

Post by sapphire »

I've heard decent things about 7 Seas.
www.sevenseasworldwide.com

I know someone who had a container of stuff shipped from FL to China and a colleague of mine is going to use them to ship her stuff from China to California. No major complaints have been reported.

I haven't used them myself, but I plan to when it's time to ship my household stuff to the next location.
nicky2012

shipping

Post by nicky2012 »

I used Seven Seas when I sent stuff from Teda/Tianjin back to Australia. They were really good, delivered all the boxes and other packaging stuff that I needed. Also collected promptly. No hassles getting it out of China back to Australia.
Friends of mine have used them to ship stuff from Boston to Beijing, filling out the Customs paperwork in Beijing was a pain and she speaks fluent Mandarin. There was a bit of back and forth before they got their stuff, but it is China and you just have to accept the fact that red tape can take a bit of work. I always like to tell myself that if they didn't have all the red tape and rubber stamps there would be a hell of a lot of more unemployed in China.

So yes I can tell you they are really really good and worth using.

If you want to move furniture and have the cash Asian Tigers are great, but they are pricy.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats the Chinese answer to social welfare. Everyone gets a job, even if its just stamping a form, or guarding a bathroom.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="krdking"]I've been told not to bother shipping to Beijing, and to just bring what I want as excess baggage? Not true???[/quote]

Depends what it will take to make you happy and comfortable (and what your moving/settling in allowance is).

We had an allowance that paid for shipping 2 cubic meters and so brought many things that made us more comfortable and/or saved us money by not having to buy here (e.g. dishware, dvd player, crock pot, coffee pot, toys etc). No problems with running small appliances off of converters.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

depends how big your family is and what your allowance is. Im not married and I bring what I need as excess baggage. If you have a home though and dont have a lot of money and a generous shipping allowance bringing what you can reasonably expect to use in 2 years is worthwhile.

Sometimes the cost of a converter and transformer dont make sense for really inexpensive appliances, even if they are compatible. Anything that runs a clock or timer (coffee pot, alarm clock) is never going to keep time right if run on a transformer. You also have to weigh the cost of doing without the items for a while, since cargo container shipping can take months. Most people get reimbursed for shipping after the goods arrive and with a receipt. Lastly, collecting your stuff at the warehouse and getting it to your apartment is likely going to have some hassles and stresses involved, since getting the stuff from the dock warehouse to Beijing will not be easy (air freight is an option). Basically your stuff has to go from your place by truck to an international shipping port, then across the ocean and then by truck again from the port to Beijing.

when you look at all that its sometimes just easier to bring a couple extra bags on the flight (though you have to manage them going through airports). Theres a story that one of our teachers here when she arrived a couple years ago brought only carry on luggage.