shipping and housing and stress. . .Oh My!

PsyGuy

That

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats why i asked "They are having a "teacher", not an HR rep. play housing/apartment realtor?" The teacher/buddy issue isnt the point its the teacher "AS" property agent im concerned with.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

A teacher buddy is only really helpful to find western conveniences, and their favorite watering hole.

Since the debate is about real estate, having someone that is oblivious to the fact that they are overpaying their rent is a bit pointless.

I've always found that local help and speaking the local language goes much further than your buddy who is 'learning' the local language but not really. In China, We paid local rateson our rent (well under allowance so it was a nice addition to my salary). And we got to try local delicacies much more frequently. It is much nicer for a sichuanese person to take you for hot pot at their favorite restaurant and let them order.

So my advise is to suck up to the local teachers ASAP.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="Mathman"]A teacher buddy is only really helpful to find western conveniences, and their favorite watering hole. [/quote]

Often quite handy to know.

[quote="Mathman"]We paid local rateson our rent ... So my advise is to suck up to the local teachers ASAP.[/quote]

Always good to get on with local staff especially if they're willing to show you around and help out.