Signed Off for Stress in the UK: What's That About?

stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="bigfatgit"]

I also think that there are far more "teachers' being allowed to graduate who should not be allowed to. I "failed" a student teacher on teaching practice and she then consequently failed her re-sit one at another school. A year later, I was offered her as a teacher. When I queried with her university how she could be graduating when she had obviously failed her previous year, I was told that they were not allowed to fail her due to the amount of money invested in her by the government!

She is currently off with stress. I could have told them that she would not be able to cope just based on what I saw of her on TP[/quote]

Interesting. Kind of makes sense, but if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
fragglerock

Post by fragglerock »

I'm all for making sure people can cope with stress before they qualify (although how you get through a PGCE if you can't, I don't know...) and I don't think I'm at risk of burnout myself. However, this whole culture of 'I can cope with more stress than you' ridiculous. Surely schools should be looking at what they should be doing to reduce stress for teachers rather than saying you're not a good teacher if you can't cope with working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. What happened to quality of life and happy teachers are good teachers?
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="fragglerock"] However, this whole culture of 'I can cope with more stress than you' ridiculous. Surely schools should be looking at what they should be doing to reduce stress for teachers rather than saying you're not a good teacher if you can't cope with working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. What happened to quality of life and happy teachers are good teachers?[/quote]

I completely agree a good school should support its staff and they do, but there are still people in the profession that shouldn't be. I don't think it's about who can cope with the most stress, it's about people being able to do the job. Some people just shouldn't be teachers, just as there are some Heads that should not be in their positions - they're the ones that often make it more stressful for the teachers. A good Head makes a massive difference so maybe that's where the focus should be first.
bigfatgit

Post by bigfatgit »

I've found that on the international circuit, there seems to be a lot (mainly females) who seem to be "running away from something"

It could be a failed relationship or whatever but some seemed stressed out from the moment they arrive. A naughtier BFG would run a sweepstake on how long they are going to survive rather than supporting them like I do
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I find most of my stress comes from high and mighty visa officials that make laws up. Even after pressure from their superiors back home and counterparts. This should actually be a valid reason to renegade on a contract since this idiot is stopping you from fulfilling it. I know some schools they specify that they don't have to honor the contract if your visa is blocked for whatever reason.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

[quote="bigfatgit"] When I queried with her university how she could be graduating when she had obviously failed her previous year, I was told that they were not allowed to fail her due to the amount of money invested in her by the government! [/quote]

I wonder if this has something to do with it. Do all teachers in the UK have their schooling paid for by the government? I got a few grants for being poor, but I paid for most of college and grad school on my own. We are eligible to have some of our government loans forgiven after five years of successful teaching in a low-income school. But you have to prove yourself before the government pays you.

Also, even public schools in the US have private health insurance, which I imagine makes teachers much more reluctant to visit the doctor. (For example, I have a high-deductible insurance plan, which means I have to pay $2500 before my insurance pays anything.) Maybe US teachers have a stronger awareness of the cost of medical care? Or care is simply more expensive in the US system because of inefficiency?

There is certainly pressure in the US to be independent, and prove your mettle, and pull yourself up by your bootstraps and all that. Weaklings and stressballs don't get much respect in good ol' Texas! ;)

(I say that with a wink and a nod, because one of my coworkers retired mid-year when she found out about the new test. The US has really high teacher attrition rates: [url]www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/03/0 ... c-schools/[/url] ).
PsyGuy

I cant agree

Post by PsyGuy »

@bigfatgit

I dont agree, Ive found female teachers to be far more stable and secure once they get over the initial move. I find a lot more male teachers that if they arent running away from something (a divorce or lost job) are running towards something (an easier social life, financial independence). Woman tend to show up, do the job, and put on a smile while doing it. They are also far less likely to be looking to move up. Often the loudest/annoying teacher is the male teacher looking to move into an admin, or HOD role.

My observation is that men are more often stressed as teachers, but are culturally indoctrinated to hide/conceal it.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

I've always thought of stress as more of a personality disposition. Some people are more prone to it regardless of situation. Some people will create stress for themselves even if the expectations (exterior or interior) are very low.

As a Canadian, I have seen a number of teachers take extended stress and medical leave. Again, like in the UK, Mental Health is taken very seriously and doctors can prescribe time off. This is limited to a few months before it is reviewed.

Another important consideration, in the UK and Canada vs. the States is the value placed on social policies. For example, in both the UK and Canada health care is universal. This may play into the value society sees work place mental stability as being a paid long term benefit.

One further point, is the strength of teaching unions in Canada, particularly Ontario. The unions are incredibly strong and take care of their teachers. Once in the union you are very protected. In Canada there is no system in public schools for tenure. Once you have been given full time status, you're in.