certification for teaching IB: advice please

sophiamartin

certification for teaching IB: advice please

Post by sophiamartin »

I have an interview coming up for a position teaching history and ToK. I assume the history position is also IB, although that was not specified.

I think my greatest weakness as a candidate is that I have no experience teaching IB. I understand you need to be certified, as well. So how do I handle this in the interview?

I've done a little research to see how to get certified but I'm confused. Is what I'm looking for the level 1 teacher award, or something else? If it is, it looks like my options are really limited for getting that done.

Also, can someone give me a brief overview of what ToK entails? I went through the program myself about 20 years ago and I have the vague memory that it was a philosophy course. I remember that's where I first heard about Plato's cave allegory.

Thanks for any and all responses. I'm really excited about this possibility.
sophiamartin

bump

Post by sophiamartin »

Anyone? Anyone? ... Bueller?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: certification for teaching IB: advice please

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="sophiamartin"]I have an interview coming up for a position teaching history and ToK. I assume the history position is also IB, although that was not specified.

I think my greatest weakness as a candidate is that I have no experience teaching IB. I understand you need to be certified, as well. So how do I handle this in the interview?

I've done a little research to see how to get certified but I'm confused. Is what I'm looking for the level 1 teacher award, or something else? If it is, it looks like my options are really limited for getting that done.

Also, can someone give me a brief overview of what ToK entails? I went through the program myself about 20 years ago and I have the vague memory that it was a philosophy course. I remember that's where I first heard about Plato's cave allegory.

Thanks for any and all responses. I'm really excited about this possibility.[/quote]

Try this:

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/468 ... ageIndex=1

It should informative and amusing.
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

Thanks, wrldtrvlr123! I read the thread. It was amusing and informative, and I think I have a better handle on ToK because of it. So that was very helpful.

Is there a link to the standards for ToK or some kind of overview of the curriculum? Or even the guidelines for the presentation? And there's an examination piece, right?

I don't suppose you have any advice for me about my lack of IB certification/experience? I'm wondering if I should offer to take an online IB workshop, for instance, although I'm not clear on whether that would certify me to teach IB or if you have to do one of these IB level 1 teacher award programs at a university.

I wonder whether I should just assume that if hired the school would pay for the certification--I'm concerned that it would be too costly for them since they'd have to put me up unless I can do it online.
PsyGuy

Certification

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont need to be certified in IB to teach IB, you will at some point need training, which is completly different from certification (which there is some debate whether an IB teacher award is a certification).

Basically to be trained you need to complete the level one workshop in your teaching subject, I wouldnt worry about it though your school will handle the training. What schools really want anyway is IB experience, not IB training. Your school has looked over your resume and is aware that you lack IB experience/training, and they have chosen to interview you anyway. Its not really an issue I'd worry about.

There is a curriculum, lesson guide, outline, etc for TOK you need access to the IBO's OCC (Online Curriculum Center) to get it though.

Lastly, i was going to introduce epistemology as a metaphor and approach to TOK, but after wrldtrvlr123's link, nothing I would add would be as fitting, or written nearly with such bravado.
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

Thanks, PsyGuy. I thought I read that you can't teach IB without certification, but you don't need to be licensed as a teacher to get the certification...? Well, I'm sure you know better than I do and since it's good news for me if you don't have to be certified, I won't argue.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I can verify you don't need cert. I'm currently teaching a few IB classes and I don't have a cert or training. I would love to get some sort of training, but my school dropped the ball on it. I'm looking forward to my new position next year at my school out of IB, but glad to get the experience.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

If the school is interviewing you then I don't think you really need the training at this point - online courses are about 8 weeks long and cost 350 pounds. I did one myself just so IB schools would look at me - some did, some didn't. I'm at an IB school now and they sent me on another training course. The training is very helpful; you will benefit from it.

As far as History - in IB it's called Humanities. It combines Geography and History.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

"As far as History - in IB it's called Humanities. It combines Geography and History."

Only in MYP, DP has these individual subjects...
PsyGuy

Ditto

Post by PsyGuy »

FYI: Humanities is what they call social studies in MYP. In Dip. they are individual subjects, becuase they are tested individually. Many schools though will lump a teaching vacancy under humanities, as they seldom are looking SOLELY for a history or geography, or government teacher, etc..

The workshops for Dip. are much more "valuable" then the MYP workshops, but once you get past the "what is the IB" and IB specific info, the actual content should be little more then a refresher of what you already know. PYP is more helpful to new teachers then it is veterans, the modular design of the curriculum is different, but once you start thinking of it in that format, there really isnt anything innovative.

Lastly, training is not anywhere in the same league as experience. Schools want experience, and while training is better then nothing, its not a substitute.