ISR and ethics

hallier

ISR and ethics

Post by hallier »

Have any of you seen the blog posting on the ISR site that states, among other things, that in the not too distant future, international schools in Indonesia will not be able to accept local students ?

Given most schools have at least 15% of their student body taken up by Indonesians, this posting has caused a lot of angst among teachers and admin at schools in Indonesia.

I know that one major international school in Jakarta has emailed all of its teachers and completely debunked the story - they say the posting misquotes its source.

Another administrator from another school has posted a reply to the blog also refuting it and asking ISR to remove the blog.

I do believe that ISR has a legitimate role in keeping teachers informed and in making disreputable schools accountable.

However, if it is true that the article ISR is referring to is either nonsense or has been misquoted then surely ISR has a responsibility to either (1) refute the administrator's claim or (2) retract the article and stop freaking teachers out.

The administrator who posted on the blog did so 4 days ago and there has been no response from ISR (who I assume are the original posters).

We quite rightly slam schools that spin, embellish and mislead teachers. Surely then, ISR should not do so themselves.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: ISR and ethics

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="hallier"]Have any of you seen the blog posting on the ISR site that states, among other things, that in the not too distant future, international schools in Indonesia will not be able to accept local students ?

Given most schools have at least 15% of their student body taken up by Indonesians, this posting has caused a lot of angst among teachers and admin at schools in Indonesia.

I know that one major international school in Jakarta has emailed all of its teachers and completely debunked the story - they say the posting misquotes its source.

Another administrator from another school has posted a reply to the blog also refuting it and asking ISR to remove the blog.

I do believe that ISR has a legitimate role in keeping teachers informed and in making disreputable schools accountable.

However, if it is true that the article ISR is referring to is either nonsense or has been misquoted then surely ISR has a responsibility to either (1) refute the administrator's claim or (2) retract the article and stop freaking teachers out.

The administrator who posted on the blog did so 4 days ago and there has been no response from ISR (who I assume are the original posters).

We quite rightly slam schools that spin, embellish and mislead teachers. Surely then, ISR should not do so themselves.[/quote]

Yes, I do think ISR should respond. Obviously some schools like JIS (which have a much larger percentage of local students) have a vested interest in playing down the story. ISR should fact check, quote their sources and update the story in light of these other issues.
PsyGuy

IDK

Post by PsyGuy »

Personally, I can understand why ISR hasn't commented. They simply want to be a channel for information, they don't want to become investigators. There are legal protections for them as long as they function in the capacity of simply content "providers". They would perhaps assume some liability if they became content "creators". Basically they can keep their hands clean, as long as they don't "touch it".
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Wrldtravler, I'd like to ask if you could refrain from quoting whole posts when responding. I want to read what you have to say but it's annoying having to wade through an often lengthy post--again--to find your reply. We can read the O.P. on top if we need a reminder.
PsyGuy

Preference

Post by PsyGuy »

I think everyone on this forum can post, and quote how they see fit and what they are comfortable with. While it may be "annoying" to you, it may be helpful and productive to the poster. Maybe they dont want to have to scroll to the top?

From a logistics point of view, a poster may be quoting a specific post and not assuming the first/original post. I can see how quoting a post and responding to that post all in one "box", would avoid possible confusion. This is a legitimate means for the author to avoid confusion, in effect saying this is what I'm specifically responding too, and my response.

If ISR felt that quoting a post was inappropriate, they could disable the feature.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="heyteach"]Wrldtravler, I'd like to ask if you could refrain from quoting whole posts when responding. I want to read what you have to say but it's annoying having to wade through an often lengthy post--again--to find your reply. We can read the O.P. on top if we need a reminder.[/quote]

[i][b]Umm, are you bucking for a moderator position? First of all, you didn't say please. Also, sometimes a quote is needed so it is clear who I am responding to (although tbf, if I am the 1st response, then this may not be completely necessary).

I will meet you halfway and try using bold and italics on my response, cause that's just the kind of guy I am. [/b][/i] :lol:
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="wrldtrvlr123"][quote="heyteach"]Wrldtravler, I'd like to ask if you could refrain from quoting whole posts when responding. I want to read what you have to say but it's annoying having to wade through an often lengthy post--again--to find your reply. We can read the O.P. on top if we need a reminder.[/quote]

[i][b]Umm, are you bucking for a moderator position? First of all, you didn't say please. Also, sometimes a quote is needed so it is clear who I am responding to (although tbf, if I am the 1st response, then this may not be completely necessary).

I will meet you halfway and try using bold and italics on my response, cause that's just the kind of guy I am. [/b][/i] :lol:[/quote]

And of course that didn't work. If you were a moderator maybe you could tighten this kind of thing up a bit. How about I try and put some more spaces between the quote and my response?
hallier

Re: IDK

Post by hallier »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Personally, I can understand why ISR hasn't commented. They simply want to be a channel for information, they don't want to become investigators. There are legal protections for them as long as they function in the capacity of simply content "providers". They would perhaps assume some liability if they became content "creators". Basically they can keep their hands clean, as long as they don't "touch it".[/quote]

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think simply re-publishing something that is defamatory is going to prevent a publisher from liability.

In any event, I guess I am more concerned with the concepts of fairness and integrity.

ISR takes the high moral ground and expect the highest of standards from administrators of schools. That's fine ... but I think it is incumbent on ISR do their utmost to make sure nothing misleading or harmful to schools/individuals is promoted on their website.

ISR were told on Feb 16 that the story was wrong and potentially harmful. They were also told that they could contact a school that is being affected for clarification about the legislation.

Their response? On Feb 17, they post a prominent link on their homepage to the blog entry with this comment: In 2013 an alarming education policy will take effect in Indonesia. The new legislation, Peraturan Pemerintah Republik Indonesia Nomor 17 tahun 2010, will affect all international educators teaching in Indonesia."
PsyGuy

Lawyer

Post by PsyGuy »

You can look up the Communications Decency Act - 1996 (Section 230). If you would like you an read this primer on the issue.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/ ... ecency-act

In summary:

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Ethics are less of a concern for me than aesthetics. Heavens is this site visually bland.
hallier

Post by hallier »

[quote="lightstays"]Ethics are less of a concern for me than aesthetics. Heavens is this site visually bland.[/quote]

Do you really mean that???

Having said that, you do have a point about the aesthetical quality of the site;)

Although I have always had the image of this site being run by teachers for teachers to ensure they are treated justly and fairly. So I am not expecting a professional format etc. Just that they practice what they preach re. honesty. But I will stop hammering on about that point, starting .... now.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Um, yes, I really mean that. The "aesthetical" qualities have much to be desired...as does the spelling of many professional educators.
adminpaul

Posting Reply

Post by adminpaul »

We understand your concern. The Principal of the school in Indonesia has composed a comprehensive look at the situation in Indonesia. It will be released in tomorrow's news letter along with a blog through which he can be asked questions.

Thank you for you understanding, patience and support. It is well appreciated.

Ben @ ISR
hallier

Post by hallier »

That's great to hear, Ben. Look forward to reading it.
adminpaul

blog is active

Post by adminpaul »

You can read the Principals comments on the blog at the following URL.

http://wp.me/pwCGl-HH