total newbie question: job fairs

sophiamartin

total newbie question: job fairs

Post by sophiamartin »

Hi, sorry for what is no doubt a silly question, but so far I've not found the answer in my searches:

Where can I find out about dates and locations of job fairs?
alia

list

Post by alia »

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:

www.internationalschoolsreview.wordpress.com

And here's the list for recruitment agencies:

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... gfairs.htm
sophiamartin

Re: list

Post by sophiamartin »

Thank you so much!

Another question: is there a site that gives a description of these fairs? I haven't a clue what the difference is between a SEARCH fair and UNI or ISS or CIS. I don't even know what they stand for!

Also, I'm about 5 hours away from San Francisco. Is it worth driving down to catch the last day of the SEARCH fair going on there tomorrow, do you think?
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

SF is by invitation only...too late for this year. You could still join Search for access to their database. I am not sure how beneficial that would be at this point in the process as most all of the fairs for the season are over. You mentioned, already over. Search has only one fair left in the US this season, it is in June, I believe...VERY LATE, but perhaps with schools desperate to fill a position. Applying directly might be the best way to proceed at this point. I am waiting for some contacts this week.
Good Luck!!!
HM
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

Thanks for clarifying that, HM! Good luck to you too.

I've been lurking on the boards for a bit and it seems like job fairs are the way to go to get a contract. Am I out of luck for this year, having missed the majority of them?

There's a chance I could get over to the east coast to attend the Bethesda job fair in June. It would be extremely expensive to do so... is it a worthy investment?

To give you an idea of my qualifications and situation:
- I'm credentialed in social science, English (including Drama) and French. I would not be interested in teaching English, however (I got the credential to be able to teach drama).
- I have 9 years teaching experience with drama, 5 with history, 3 with psychology, 3 with English, and a lot of paraprofessional experience with reading programs.
- I have no experience teaching IB, although I went to high school at the Ecole Active Bilingue in Paris and went through the IB program myself.
- No experience teaching abroad, only here in California. I am a dual citizen with the US and France, though, and often go back to France for visits, so I do have experience living abroad.
- I have all of the coursework towards an MA in world history and am now doing an online MA program in US History--should be done in Dec. 2012 or maybe April 2013, depending on how many courses I take a semester.
- I'm married and have a baby son. My husband teaches history too but if we did go abroad, the plan would be for him to be a trailing spouse so he could take care of our son until he's old enough to attend preschool. So we're in a weird place, as my husband isn't technically a "nonteaching spouse," but for the purposes of any contract I'd be going for at this point in time, he would be.
- We're both very excited about the prospect of living abroad and are fairly flexible about where we'd go--we just want it to be a pretty safe place because of our baby. I'm thinking of Egypt, for example--if it weren't for the political turmoil there I'd be happy to find a position at an Egyptian school, but it's too scary to think we might have to be evacuated or something.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts or advice, particularly about the Bethesda fair. Also, is it worth paying $600 to do an online IB workshop? Money is tight for us at the moment, so any expenses have really got to be worth it.
PsyGuy

Hi

Post by PsyGuy »

Search, CIS, and ISS are all private recruiting agencies. They are by invitation only and you must be a registered candidate to attend (well sort of...) UNI is the University of Northern Iowa. You just register to go to their fair, no "membership" required. Here are the various fair pages:

http://www.searchassociates.com/Job-Fairs/Default.aspx

https://www.iss.edu/about-us/event

http://portal.cois.org/WCM/CIS/fairs/sc ... nding.aspx

http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/osfair.html

*The links here on ISR are also great as well*

Generally i suggest that if you have a very broad job search an agency can help you (I prefer Search). If there are only a few schools, or a small region your interested in (like france) you can do the work on your own, (for instance there are only 3 schools in France with Search) you could bookmark their HR page and just check them periodically.

The fairs are more like meet and greet opportunities. Its possible to go to a fair without being a member, since all the fair really is is people at a hotel. You could email prospective schools tell them your going to be in the area, and ask if they would like to talk. The interviews go on in the schools hotel rooms anyway.

The Search Bethesda fair (also called the Summer Scramble), is the lost shot for schools to fill last minute vacancies, in the past it has been frantic, it also tends to attract the lowest tier schools (though spain is always there). If your REALLY open to teaching anywhere you would very likely walk away from the Bethesda fair with a contract.

IB workshops/training are pretty useless, heads and recruiters arent looking for "training" they are looking for EXPERIENCE, no amount of one compensates for the other. That said training is better then nothing, though I dont believe you will get your moneys worth either in value or utility.

You sound pretty competitive, but whats really going to help you and make you VERY desirable is your EU (French) citizenship. Lastly, you would find it VERY VERY difficult to live on one salary with a family of three.
sophiamartin

Re: Hi

Post by sophiamartin »

Thanks for the information, PsyGuy, it's very helpful.

[quote="PsyGuy"]
You sound pretty competitive, but whats really going to help you and make you VERY desirable is your EU (French) citizenship. Lastly, you would find it VERY VERY difficult to live on one salary with a family of three.[/quote]

The EU citizenship would help me get jobs with EU countries, but not the rest, right? Or is there some advantage for them as well?

I expect western Europe to be very expensive, of course. I didn't think about the advantage the EU citizenship would give me and assumed we'd have to look outside of Europe at first, which seemed to fit in terms of our plan for the hubby not to work, as other areas of the world are less expensive to live in. That's true, isn't it?

But now you've given me something to think about. The goal was to end up in Europe so I could be closer to my French family, so if you think I've a shot at that even without IB experience and international teaching experience, maybe we need to rethink the plan. This is all very exciting.
PsyGuy

Totally

Post by PsyGuy »

Your EU citizenship isnt going to help you in Asia or anywhere outside the EU really.

Cost of living and Compensation adjustments (mainly the inclusion of housing) make asia the place to save money and enjoy a higher life style.

With EU/french working papers you would have A MUCH MUCH easier time finding a position back in France, two reasons, they dont need to secure a visa for you (which is a PAIN in France) and 2 you have MANY more schools open and available to you, since your french fluent and could easily enter the french municipal school system. The french ministry of education can be found here:

http://www.education.gouv.fr/index.php

Any of the three IS's in france would train you in IB because your a no brainer hire for them (The first two question i get asked when i apply to any of the schools in France is wheres your passport from, and do you speak french). They also pay better when you consider all the benefits and significantly fewer teaching hours.

Lastly, an old school of mine Marymount-Paris has been looking for substitutes forever, and would probably hire you on the spot, if you wanted something to tide yourself over with:

http://www.marymount.fr/base.php?code=227

Its not the best, but youd position yourself for an easy hire when something better opened up

If your intent is to go to France though you should start the Apostile process now though, because it can literally take months to get done...
redster

QSI

Post by redster »

QSI also hires couples with kids and the preschool is part of the package. They have some that start with 2 year-old programs. Most have full-day 3 year old at your school. www.qsi.org
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

PsyGuy, thanks for the lead on Marymount! Would you be willing to send me a pm with the name of the person I would contact at Marymount? I'm wondering whether there would be enough work for us to live on if they did take me on as a substitute. I'm sure it's hard enough to live on a regular teacher's salary!

I looked up "Apostille" but I didn't fully understand what it is. Some sort of authentication process for my US documents? French documents? I'm going to have to take some steps anyway because my French passport is expired, and I can do that in San Francisco in late March during spring break. Maybe I can get some stuff done for the Apostille then.

redster, thanks for the pointer to QSI. I'm still not sure how we'll go about all of this. My son is only 3 months at the moment, so months 10 in September. Preschool won't be an option for about 2-2.5 years, then. If my husband were to take a teaching job, we'd need a nanny or something. We'll have to look into the possibility. I worked as a nanny in Paris through the Institut Catholique many years ago, so I know it's possible!
PsyGuy

:(

Post by PsyGuy »

PMs dont work on the board, (at least they never have for me). The headmaster is Ron Roukema (school@marymount.fr). In Paris, youd be able to put together enough Substitute and tutor work (espeically in the municipal schools), to make it full time until you found a permanent position.

France (like italy, and a couple other countries) have this process of verifying credentials that came out of the Bologna process. Basically, the apostile procedure is how you authenticate your degree and teaching certificate.

1) You get a copy of your degree (photo copy) and have a notary at your school notarize the register statement on the back that says something like "This is a true and accurate document in our records", it takes two people the register, and a separate notary.

2) You then send it off to the California Secretary of States office for an "Apostile" this is a very legal looking document with the seal of the secretary of states office, that validates the signature and stamp of the notary.

3) You then get it all translated into French by a certified translator (you cant do it yourself).

4) You send all of that to the consulate/embassy in California with a copy of your transcripts, and they put a copy in their files and attach a nice stamped and sealed letter to it and send it back to you.

5) You repeat the WHOLE process again for your teaching certificate. Except thats a little easier because its already an official document, you can get the "apostile" of it directly from the Secretary of States Office. It still has to be translated and sent to consulate embassy though.

You can find the California Apostile page here.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/a ... cation.htm

Contact the Consulate in Sacramento they are a lot more help then the one in Los Angeles (at least they were when i went through the process).
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

Thank you, PsyGuy, once again, for the great information. This certainly sounds daunting. I guess it's like the daoist saying: "The journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step." Except this journey is several thousand miles, actually!
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Take bigger steps...