Egypt and Bahrain

IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

What Guru said. A lot of flats in Maadi look dated.

Flats off 9 Road seem to be better. That's where most of the quiter tree lined streets are.
PsyGuy

Savings

Post by PsyGuy »

How much you can save anywhere is more a factor of "you" then anything else.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Too late to dig yourself out, PsyGuy, The op was looking for advice and you gave bad information. You often give out great advice, but sometimes you overstretch yourself. This is one such occasion.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

I still don't think the saving potential is there, not for me, but I'm not the OP.

18.5 GBP pounds just ain't a lot of money. Even if you live very frugally and save half of it, that's not going to get you very far. It's a bubble economy, you can only afford it inside the bubble try to go somewhere else and it will barely get you through a couple months.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

You think, we know. Therein lies the difference.
PsyGuy

Sigh

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont know either, your ability to save does not extrapolate to the OP's experience. Your perspective is valuable and credible, and we need more not fewer opinions, but it is by no means exclusive and authoritative.
monneary

Egypt and Bahrain

Post by monneary »

So, the scoop is I got 2 offers one from Cairo and one from Riffa, Bahrain, the Bahrain seems better, at 35,000 US plus housing, etc...Cairo at 18,600 English pounds. Does anyone know about life in Bahrain and flats? Is that a good salary. What about the rep of the school, Shaikha Hessa School for girls, any comments would be helpful as I have to give an answer tomorrow!
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I have no idea about Bahrain, but if PsyGuy wants to be helpfull he'll post the costs list from SA, like he did for Cairo.
PsyGuy

???

Post by PsyGuy »

@IAMBOG

SA would be which country/city?

@monneary

Your thinking of this the wrong way. The BETTER school is where you will be happier for the next 2 years of your life. Dont reduce your decision making method down to a dollar amount, you will be unhappy, no amount of money can make a place you DONT want to be great.
bigfatgit

Post by bigfatgit »

I currently save 65% of my salary and I put another 10% into another "policy". This allowed me to purchase a 3 bedroom house in the UK for cash

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I don't live the life of a monk and I have an extensive social life including a lot of eating out, cinema visits, ACE Club visits, and foreign holidays

Unfortunately, I get the impression that Psyguy would slag off any salary in Egypt as he has a personal dislike for the country and people
PsyGuy

Not true

Post by PsyGuy »

Not true at all. If the school mentioned by the OP (or ANY school in Egypt) was paying 18500£ a month I would ENTHUSIASTICALLY apply, interview and accept any position they offered me.

I dont even need to be that obtuse about it, Id do if for $250K a year. Once ANY school starts hitting the quarter of a million (USD) threshold, my disposition/attitude towards a school and region becomes VERY amendable towards the positive.

I'd even teach home economics were the yearly menu alternated between dishes containing "puppies" and/or "kittens".
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="bigfatgit"]I currently save 65% of my salary and I put another 10% into another "policy". This allowed me to purchase a 3 bedroom house in the UK for cash

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I don't live the life of a monk and I have an extensive social life including a lot of eating out, cinema visits, ACE Club visits, and foreign holidays

Unfortunately, I get the impression that Psyguy would slag off any salary in Egypt as he has a personal dislike for the country and people[/quote]

Yes, an unfortunate experience at an apparently dodgy school in Cairo sent him running and scarred PsyGuy for life (or at least raised the amount of money it would take to get him back there).
IAMBOG

Re: Not true

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Not true at all. If the school mentioned by the OP (or ANY school in Egypt) was paying 18500£ a month I would ENTHUSIASTICALLY apply, interview and accept any position they offered me.

I dont even need to be that obtuse about it, Id do if for $250K a year. Once ANY school starts hitting the quarter of a million (USD) threshold, my disposition/attitude towards a school and region becomes VERY amendable towards the positive.

I'd even teach home economics were the yearly menu alternated between dishes containing "puppies" and/or "kittens".[/quote]

I assume most of us would work at a school that pays $250,000 a year, but that isn't what was asked, so it's a bit of a moot point.
PsyGuy

Question?

Post by PsyGuy »

What was the question? I though it was I "would slag off any salary in Egypt", which isnt true for ANY salary.