Beijing Housing?

psychris

Beijing Housing?

Post by psychris »

Can someone please describe what a 163,000 RMB housing allowance will buy me in Beijing? Will I be able to save any of it / use it for traveling? If I choose to spend all of it, what type of apartment can I afford?

I've heard there are many benefits of having an allowance versus school provided housing, but it also means there's added pressure to use the money wisely.

Thanks in advance!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I assume that is per year?

Do you have to provide the school with fapiaos? If so, its way more convenient to get a fapiao for your rent rather than trying to collect them over the course of the month. Sometimes the fapiao is included in the rent and sometimes its extra.

You should be able to find a nice apartment with that allowance, pay your utilities and still save.

I love living outside of school housing where it resembles a fishbowl on occasion.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Yes, per year.

I haven't heard anything about having to provide fapiaos, so I would assume they are not required.

What's a typical price for a 2 bedroom in an active part of Beijing?
augustus

Apartments in Beijing

Post by augustus »

Psychris,

I work in Beijing, so I might be able to help you with info. Don't worry about the fapiao (official tax receipt) just yet, but you will need one to have your rent paid for directly by the school. Most places include it, but sometimes you have to negotiate to have it included in the rent.

As far as teachers at our school, some people (mostly families) live in Shunyi, which is near the school. Others prefer to live closer to the active parts, as you put it. Lido or Sanlitun/Dongzhimen are by far the most popular areas for those that want to live in the city, at least among the teachers at our school. In Lido, the Upper East Side and Richmond Park complexes are very, very popular.

As far as cost, it depends on what you are looking for style-wise. You can try looking at real estate websites and see what catches your eye. (www.fullhomechina.com, www.bel-property.com.cn) Most places come furnished and some are truly ghastly! I looked at one place last year that had every animal print imaginable in the same room! Yuck!

The school will give you two buddies, one to answer all of your work-related questions and another to answer social, day living questions. The HR department is also very,vey supportive. The school arranges housing for all of the new teachers for the first two months, so you won't have to worry about housing right away. :)

--Gus
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Beijing Housing?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="psychris"]Can someone please describe what a 163,000 RMB housing allowance will buy me in Beijing? Will I be able to save any of it / use it for traveling? If I choose to spend all of it, what type of apartment can I afford?

I've heard there are many benefits of having an allowance versus school provided housing, but it also means there's added pressure to use the money wisely.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

You could have our place for exactly that: Very nice Western standards compound with Gym/indoor pool, restaurant and Western friendly grocery store in the lobby. 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 180 m2, high floor with 2 balconys. In Lido.

Or, you could find a very nice 2 bedroom with those same amenities and pocket 60 to 70K rmb. If the school is not taxing the benefit you will need a fapiao, but it's not a big deal and landlords are very used to this. Anything you do not spend on housing may be subject to tax. In any case, that a very good benefit and you will be better than fine.

We like Lido as it is closer to town, has a reasonable Chinese atmosphere, but is still Western friendly and has many good restaurants within walking distance.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Gus, I take it we'll be colleagues soon. Excellent!

Thanks for the great info. How far is the commute from East Side and Richmond Park to "our" school?

@wrldtrvlr123, I think 3 bedrooms might be a little excessive for little ol' me. I'd be okay with 1/2 of what you currently have, so the 2 bedroom option is probably more suitable for my needs.

It seems like Lido is the hot spot.