Is it all about good luck?

abarisme

Is it all about good luck?

Post by abarisme »

I'm getting the feeling that along with experience and creditials, you must have LUCK to land a great job. I guess this is what life is about. Good timing, luck, and experience....

What are your thoughts?
PsyGuy

Luck

Post by PsyGuy »

Well you could call it good luck. It sure wouldnt hurt to have that. It think there are just some very influential factors that are difficult to quantify and control. For me the most important and frustrating is you never know how a recruiters head works or whats going inside. At the Search fair one school hired an intern over 2 fully certified teachers with experience. Stuff like that happens and I ask myself "what were they thinking".

There isnt a lot of regulation or "rules" is another factor, so candidates, especially new ones can be easily confused and frustrated. Your supposed to get 24 hours to decide on a school, but this year a recruiter told the 15 candidates (these were interns) "If i call you and offer you the position I need to know in that 10 seconds if your going to take it, i cant wait 24 hours). Sure its against the rules, but no one can do anything about it.

Some of it has to do with right time, right place, right amount of stress and pressure, and other environmental variables that are difficult to identify, quantify, and control for. Things like "our top candidate hasnt said yes, but our second candidate needs to make a decision on their second choice school before the end of the day. The recruiters want to close too, and sometimes they make odd choices.

You might as well call it luck as much as anything else, i like to think of it as the "chaos advantage" NO BODY wants this process to break down so keeping the system moving even if it not the best or optimal path is sometimes more important. recruiters have hundreds of interviews over a very short time to do, and they sometimes just want the process over. In the end the differences between teachers in the classroom at the end of the year is negligible.
olympe

Post by olympe »

Networking has lots to do about it as well.