International School of Kuala Lumpur?

abarisme

International School of Kuala Lumpur?

Post by abarisme »

What tier is this school? What information do you have?

Thanks!
overseasvet2

ISKL

Post by overseasvet2 »

Tier 1 +
Do not ever hesitate to jump at this school. Great pay, amazing retirement through Malaysia gov't system (you take cash when you leave the country), no cap on years as an expat, good lifestyle for families and singles, particularly guys and those with an alternative lifestyle.

Some people dig in and stay forever others move up through the ranks and then move on to admin level elsewhere. It has a bit of everything for everyone.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Also, has anyone heard from them yet with offers? The post I applied for is off the website, so I'm assuming it's taken? (I was trying for the HS Vocal, if that helps)
matt

Post by matt »

Well, if the opening is off the website, then it's most likely been filled. You mentioned in a previous post about an opening in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Don't close yourself off to this place. The package is amazing and the culture is too. Yes it's one of the poorest places on Earth but some of the most enriching experiences in international teaching can be found in places like this.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I am actually interested in this place...reading the reviews, not too worried about the issues with the Director...I do have 2 daughters, though...any info on family life there?
Thanks for any info, Matt, especially if you work there now.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Dhaka would be an amazing cultural experience, however the culture would be in your face. The traffic is crazy, it took us 90 minutes to travel 6 km at one point, but if the package is good and the health care is better than good then I think it would be a great place to live and work for a couple of years.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ChoirGuy"]I am actually interested in this place...reading the reviews, not too worried about the issues with the Director...I do have 2 daughters, though...any info on family life there?
Thanks for any info, Matt, especially if you work there now.[/quote]

My understanding (2nd hand) is that the school and housing would be in a very nice suburb where the embassies are located. The compound living would be nice, and stepping out would be a bit of an adventure.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks for the replies...starting to wonder now about the director, though; it's a mixed blessing, those reviews, aren't they...even if you think they've been written by solid and stable people, I never know who to believe...will continue to consider Dhaka, but not sure now!

Again, though, thanks to all that have replied.
PsychBean

International School of Kuala Lumpur

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

Any information about this school would be appreciated. I have heard some information but no one that had current information.

Thank you.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Read the reviews. Apparently it will cost you quite a bit for startup, and there are some tax issues - you'll basically be in "tax prison" by not being able to leave for periods of time because of visa issues. Good school, good reputation, but read the reviews and ask the appropriate questions.
yoplay

Post by yoplay »

It's an IASAS school. Unless you've been around the international circuit and have built up connections and an insane resume that gives you the luxury of being extremely picky, it's a no brainer to jump at the opportunity to teach there.

I have a good number of friends who teach/have taught there. All have great things to say. Sounds like the school when through a swoon around the years of the Asian financial crisis. In recent years they've turned things around and by all accounts, it's a great place to be. I've heard positive things about the saving potential. Having visited K.L., it seems like it would be an awesome place to live as well. Not to mention the insane travel opportunities with Air Asia using it as a hub.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks Yoplay. Just wondering... I appreciate your feedback.